Thoughts On Bodybuilding?

I will admit it… I used to be into bodybuilding. When I was coming up, I dreamed of looking like Dorian Yates, so I started doing his routines in hopes of looking like him.

So I used to buy magazines like Flex, Muscle and Fitness, etc.

I did the 12 sets per bodypart on a split routine 6 days a week, and YOU NEED TO REST ONE DAY type deal. Oh yes and EAT UP, but be sure to take our WEIGHT GIANER 5000! All that I ever got from it was a headcold.
Those ridiculous routines should come with a disclaimer that if you are not doing some serious shit that they will not work for you. Wait, unless you really believe that all Ronnie Coleman does is “supplements” to look like that? Hey that’s what the ads say!

I used to get amused by the back of the magazines…

The little ads that they had in the back.

They used to show lots of “supplements” that supposedly mirrored the same thing that steroids did. A few times I almost parted with my hard earned money in hopes of getting a pair of guns like Doarian Yates, but I didn’t want to get burned on some kind of scam, so I never went for the “New anabolic agent designed by Soviets that is still legal in the US BUT NOT FOR LONG.”

I used to notice a thing about those ads though…

They used to feature a lot of 900 number ads, that usually featured some scantilly clad, muscled guy who had a towel covering up his private parts. The gist of it was “Call now and talk to hot hunks.” “Hot men in your area want to talk to you.”

Now advertisers know their target audience. This is why you see tampon commercials on soap operas or beer ads on football games and not vice versa.
So there obviously must be a lot of bodybuilders who have ulterior motives for buying magazines featuring semi naked men posing. Hey what else do they do with that posing oil anyway?

But back to the story…

I began to see that bodybuilding was… a crock of shit. Who wants to sit there with a fucking tape measure every month to see if your right bicep has gained a half inch and then cum your pants about it?

Plus the way that they like to stare at themselves in the mirror. It all seems so narcissistic to me; a bunch of men who sit around and stare at themselves in the mirror for hours on end doing those ridiculous poses wearing gay looking speedos, shaving their body hair off and talking shit to one another.

However… bodybuilders do form a substantial part of commercial gym membership, thus they help keep them open. And they are far more desirable than the fat ass hordes whose 38 inch bicep is at a bodyfat of 50% who plague America these days.

So they can be seen as useful to strength athletes.

Thoughts?

So…bodybuilders are useless except for gym fees?

Is that the point of this?

I hate that I wasted my time reading this. I train for strength. I also “bodybuild”. Did someone bigger than you take your lunch money in school and lead to this hatred? Because every professional football player NEVER lifts weights because they want to look good? You have a very simple concept of what a “bodybuilder” is.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Did someone bigger than you take your lunch money in school and lead to this hatred?[/quote]

Lunch money? Does nobody here kick sand in skinny guy’s faces at the beach anymore? I’m getting old…

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Did someone bigger than you take your lunch money in school and lead to this hatred?

Lunch money? Does nobody here kick sand in skinny guy’s faces at the beach anymore? I’m getting old…[/quote]

The fuckers sue now and everyone knows that bodybuilders don’t have jobs.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
When I was coming up, I dreamed of looking like Dorian Yates, so I started doing his routines in hopes of looking like him.
[/quote]

Sounds like you failed miserably at achieving your goals, so you developed a complex and decided to critisize those who have more discipline, commitment, and work ethic than you.

I’ll give you another 6 months before you start to criticize strength athletes and decide to take up crossfit.

However… bodybuilders do form the main part of commercial gyms, thus they help keep them open.

[/quote]

Those aren’t bodybuilders.

[quote]tpa wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
When I was coming up, I dreamed of looking like Dorian Yates, so I started doing his routines in hopes of looking like him.

Sounds like you failed miserably at achieving your goals, so you developed a complex and decided to critisize those who have more discipline, commitment, and work ethic than you.

I’ll give you another 6 months before you start to criticize strength athletes and decide to take up crossfit.
[/quote]

I’ll second that. This guys sounds like a sad failure.

I hate that I wasted my time reading this. I train for strength. I also “bodybuild”. Did someone bigger than you take your lunch money in school and lead to this hatred? Because every professional football player NEVER lifts weights because they want to look good? You have a very simple concept of what a “bodybuilder” is. [/quote]

Is your bodyfat level unknown because you are a fat ass? Do tell.

[quote]tpa wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:

[/quote]

Not really. I did what many other natural bodybuilders did: try routines that were catered for steroid abusing freaks and had bad results. Once I found better routines, I did quite well in mass building.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

You are just trying to start some trouble. Shut up.

[/quote]

Actually I am just breaking balls. Why don’t you lighten up?

So you tried some shit off a whore mag and didn’t get results and now you’re disappointed… Don’t be such a bitch. Guess what? The old ‘tried-24/7-100 sets to failure from Hairy Sack Mag - now dissapointed’ story is how A LOT of people start off. The ones who really want it persist and eventually learn the basics and get serious results. So you’ve gone this far, how bad do you want it?

Yeah, pro-bodybuilding and the magazines are a load of bullshit. However, even they tell you that you have to eat like a motherfucker and train hard. Criticize all you want, and it might even be totally fair criticism. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s great being big and strong. Life’s not fair and no pissing and moaning’s gonna fix it - just hard work and caloric surplus. Besides, if anything, it should be a relief that you don’t have to spend 20hrs in the gym like some of the routines they used to print.

Professor X wrote:
I hate that I wasted my time reading this. I train for strength. I also “bodybuild”. Did someone bigger than you take your lunch money in school and lead to this hatred? Because every professional football player NEVER lifts weights because they want to look good? You have a very simple concept of what a “bodybuilder” is.

Is your bodyfat level unknown because you are a fat ass? Do tell.

[/quote]

My picture is in my profile. Criticism of my development now compells a picture of YOU.

[quote]Majin wrote:
So you tried some shit off a whore mag and didn’t get results and now you’re disappointed… Don’t be such a bitch. Guess what? The old ‘tried-24/7-100 sets to failure from Hairy Sack Mag - now dissapointed’ story is how A LOT of people start off. The ones who really want it persist and eventually learn the basics and get serious results. So you’ve gone this far, how bad do you want it?

Yeah, pro-bodybuilding and the magazines are a load of bullshit. However, even they tell you that you have to eat like a motherfucker and train hard. Criticize all you want, and it might even be totally fair criticism. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s great being big and strong. Life’s not fair and no pissing and moaning’s gonna fix it - just hard work and caloric surplus. Besides, if anything, it should be a relief that you don’t have to spend 20hrs in the gym like some of the routines they used to print.[/quote]

I never once thought I needed to train just like Lee Haney as a beginner. When I first picked up a muscle magazine, first, I had no real access to weights, and second, I weighed what had to have been around 120lbs back then or less (which was about 7th grade when I first bought a magazine). I followed the basic concepts and utilized the sand filled weights that belonged to my uncle. Every bodybuilder featured had a completely different style of lifting back then so why would someone pick one and run it into the ground? I looked at how people AROUND ME were training to get big and did what they did. It worked as soon as I was able to eat enough to support it. I don’t understand those who blame a magazine for printing what one pro does in the gym at over 250lbs contest weight. It may be informative to know what worked for them at the peak of development, but it doesn’t mean that’s how they trained when they weighed 80lbs less.

LOL. Makes me ritorically question who they post their routines for in the first place? Obviously a ton of kids are swallowing it just like this poster - without chewing. I’m glad I wasn’t sucked into the whole magazine thing.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

You’re a douchebag. Shut up.

[quote]Majin wrote:
LOL. Makes me ritorically question who they post their routines for in the first place? Obviously a ton of kids are swallowing it just like this poster - without chewing. I’m glad I wasn’t sucked into the whole magazine thing.[/quote]

That was never my perspective. I saw what they did, realized that every single guy trained differently, and picked the basic ideas from it. For people who would just look at a routine from a 300lbs pro bodybuilder, are there no people around them who are “big” who lift weights? Back then, anyone over 180lbs was bigger than me so I watched what they did. Why would a newbie ignore what the big guys around them are doing?

Not really. I did what many other natural bodybuilders did: try routines that were catered for steroid abusing freaks and had bad results. Once I found better routines, I did quite well in mass building.

[/quote]

What’s your definition of “quite well?” You’re 6 ft and 185. Were you like 140 lbs before?

[quote]Majin wrote:
LOL. Makes me ritorically question who they post their routines for in the first place? Obviously a ton of kids are swallowing it just like this poster - without chewing. I’m glad I wasn’t sucked into the whole magazine thing.[/quote]

You know, I just looked at one old magazine I had and very rarely did they ever lay out an entire training routine. In fact, I can’t find one. The usual thing to do was for them to write an article on how a pro trained a specific body part. They wouldn’t even go into the weight used most of the time and the usual was three or four different exercises. I really don’t see the big deal.

That was never my perspective. I saw what they did, realized that every single guy trained differently, and picked the basic ideas from it. For people who would just look at a routine from a 300lbs pro bodybuilder, are there no people around them who are “big” who lift weights? Back then, anyone over 180lbs was bigger than me so I watched what they did. Why would a newbie ignore what the big guys around them are doing?[/quote]

Probably there’s just too much ego: “I wanna say I built myself”. So instead of the rational ‘if you don’t know something ask someone who does’ they take Exit69 and think ‘If these big dumb gorillas can do it then surely I’ll figure this out myself’. That’s where all the shit breaks down. They read a bagillion articles and think they’re ‘advanced’, while in reality don’t even know the basics. Meanwhile a big dude who couldn’t tell supination from his own asshole is three times larger and does wrist curls with Skinny’s bench 1RM.

The ‘hardgainers’ egotistically put their effort into the areas they’re comfortable in doing so. My conclusion is to chalk it all up to mental masturbation. I can’t believe the head guys are still telling us to be ‘nicer’ with newbs when all they do is wear ‘here’s my penis, please stroke me’ t-shirts. Learning requires humbly asking advice and actually listening to it. Well, whataya gonna do…