T Nation

Thoughts on 7x7?

I stumbled upon this. It kinda makes sense, but I’d like to hear your thoughts. I’m planning to do this w/ Sumo RDLs.

Wasn’t there a creepy-looking guy on here who was pushing 6x6 a year or so back?

I call dibs on 9x9 (the naughty nine) and 4x4 (the flirtatious four)!

Anyway, jokes apart, it should be a change for anyone using a different set-rep scheme, but I wouldn’t expect consistent progress without overload. Personally I would go with 4x7 on compound movements though.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

I stumbled upon this. It kinda makes sense, but I’d like to hear your thoughts. I’m planning to do this w/ Sumo RDLs.[/quote]

49 reps seems alittle high to me…Oh yea, SEVEN.

10x10 is used in german volume program so don’t see problem with 7x7.

No dont do it! Doing 7x7 is like going on steroids. I did it a few months ago and now I have a beard that spawns fists, my teeth are growing gaps and I cant help but nail my wife every time I see her. IT IS A CURSE UPON MY CROWN!

everything works. There is no magical number that must be followed.

[quote]forevernade wrote:
No dont do it! Doing 7x7 is like going on steroids. I did it a few months ago and now I have a beard that spawns fists, my teeth are growing gaps and I cant help but nail my wife every time I see her. IT IS A CURSE UPON MY CROWN! [/quote]

Except for the gaps in your teeth, what’s the problem?

You don’t know shit about the 5 factorial. Produces insane strength and growth.

I think your goal is more important than a programs number.

Godfamit this shit is stupid anything over 30 reps is taking the piss.

That’s my friend’s blog. I can say that the 7x7 programs works. Although he made it just around 2 months ago, I saw him train a lot of his clients with the 7x7, including bodybuilders and powerlifters with good results such as 10 lb gains in body mass and 30 lb PRs in 4 weeks. Needless to say nutrition played a vital role.

As to Sumo RDLs, I don’t think it’s a good idea to do that twice a week. A high volume of near failure Sumo RDLs was catastrophic in my experience. 49 reps of that a week would be enough.

Is the only benefit behind the 7x7 program that it’s halfway between 5x5 and 10x10? It sounds like a compromise program, with the benefits of neither of the others.

Also, it sounds like the 5x5 program is a bit misunderstood, or at least interpreted differently from the way I learned it. I learned that you start a 5x5 program with a weight that lets you do about 10-12 reps of the total 25 in the 5x5. After you work the way up to all 25 reps, then you increase the weight again.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
Godfamit this shit is stupid anything over 30 reps is taking the piss. [/quote]

hahahahahaha

spoken like a true irishmen