T Nation

Thoughts on: 2x Squat. 1.5x Bench (of Bodyweight)

Is this a priority #1 goal for anyone regardless of goals to achieve before they make great gains in anything else?

I’m sure some of you never had a problem getting past this point, but for the others of you, was it hard? was it necessary?

I’m still working on the 2x squat (but I’ll get it soon I feel). The 1.5 bench I just passed and it was not that hard to get there. However, moving past that point seems like it’s going to be extremely hard.

2x squat took a while so did 1.5 bench.

Squat was definitley harder to obtain for me.

not at all

No. When I started I wanted to get bigger, not necessarily stronger. The strength came along but those numbers were not my number one priority.

The numbers still aren’t. Currently most of my squats are front squats and most of my benching is with d-bells.

i dont care about 1 reps

i was thinking to myself today, the first time i ever bench 315 its going to be for 6 reps.

I’m not powerlifting so the weight on the bar is irrelevant to me as far as numbers go.

I would say its a good goal to strive for no matter what the goals, as a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle but it doesn’t need to be the number 1 priority.

If your constantly adding mass to your frame, its going to take longer to achieve then if you just focused on a 2xbw squat and stayed around the same weight.

So in the case, I personally prefer aiming for numbers, such as 400 squat 300 bench etc.

1x military press
1.5x bench
2x squat
2.5x dead

so for a 200lb dude…

200lb press
300lb bench
400lb squat
500lb dead

definatly good goals to shoot for.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i dont care about 1 reps

i was thinking to myself today, the first time i ever bench 315 its going to be for 6 reps.[/quote]

1x military press (Standing, from the collarbone, no leg)
1.5x bench (paused on chest)
2x squat (IPF depth)
2.5x dead (no straps, dead-stops)

When these numbers are used- the goal is to be performing your working set(s) at those weights. Most of us will be better ‘here than there’ in the beginning. It will take most years of consistent training to accomplish all four. When you meet a lifter that can do so…they will be balanced side to side, front to back, and top to bottom. They will appear strong & powerful regardless of bodyweight.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
1x military press
1.5x bench
2x squat
2.5x dead

so for a 200lb dude…

200lb press
300lb bench
400lb squat
500lb dead

definatly good goals to shoot for.[/quote]

x2

I was there, before a two months forced layoff from training, but I didn’t look that impressive at all…maybe because I’m stuck at 165 lb (at 5’6 height). By the way, they were my 1RM.

[quote]fabiop wrote:
I was there, before a two months forced layoff from training, but I didn’t look that impressive at all…maybe because I’m stuck at 165 lb (at 5’6 height). By the way, they were my 1RM.[/quote]

well maybe them being your 1rm instead of your 6-10 rm was your problem???

opposite for me. 2x squat was way easier then 1.5 benching, let alone 1x benching.

can’t do the 2x squat anymore (YET), but in general its far easier for me to go up in squat then benching.

i think that’s a pretty good goal though, the 2x, 1.5x,2x thing. still waiting to get to the bench and deadlift goals.

anything really, just getting stronger is a goal in itself.