Thoughts for the Upcoming Max Force Phase

[quote]samisaviv wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]samisaviv wrote:
What if I use the same exercises but with more rest (3-4 Min.)and less sets (3-5) and 1-5 reps?[/quote]

It’s not as simple as that. Rest hasn’t much to do with it. I have posted a full football program in my forum, look or it for some ideas.[/quote]

Just a quick shot in the dark, do you happen to have such program for soccer too?[/quote]

No

[quote]samisaviv wrote:

[quote]samisaviv wrote:
What if I use the same exercises but with more rest (3-4 Min.)and less sets (3-5) and 1-5 reps?[/quote]

It’s not as simple as that. Rest hasn’t much to do with it. I have posted a full football program in my forum, look or it for some ideas.[/quote]

Just a quick shot in the dark, do you happen to have such program for soccer too?[/quote]

Cause you don’t need any training for it. Cause it sucks :wink:

A similar approach is often used by Russian powerlifters who include a phase of explosive lifting only after spending some gruelling weeks under mostly heavy weights.
[/quote]

Just wondering, what exactly are you referring to ?

Most Russian powerlifters use periods of boydbuilding work like 3x10 @ 70% for deload, and very few of them ever use explosive training.

[quote]Thy. wrote:

A similar approach is often used by Russian powerlifters who include a phase of explosive lifting only after spending some gruelling weeks under mostly heavy weights.
[/quote]

Most Russian powerlifters use periods of boydbuilding work like 3x10 @ 70% for deload, and very few of them ever use explosive training.[/quote]

Boris Sheiko’s programs

[quote]Thy. wrote:

[/quote]

Most Russian powerlifters use periods of boydbuilding work like 3x10 @ 70% for deload, and very few of them ever use explosive training.[/quote]

Boris Sheiko’s programs[/quote]

His programs are not very popular in Russia. Only Americans use them fanatically as the next “top secret Russian” thing. 90% of powerlifers train very differently from Sheiko’s approach.

He doesn’t really have deload phases. Most of the time the work is 80% for 3 reps and the sets differ from 3 to 7. Towards the end of the cycle some rare 85%x2 and 90%x1 work may be included.

Besides, he never mentions explosiveness. He even said that you should specifically train to do a deadlift slowly.

Let me just say that I’ve experienced some anecdotal evidence to support Christian’s assertion. Some of the best gains I’ve made from a strength and body composition standpoint came when I increased the frequency of training without overloading the CNS.

The routine I followed was a derivation of his Push/Pull/Legs split where I did twice per day training only working up to the max force point and stopping. It was the only time I’ve experienced the phenomenon Christian talks about where 90 minutes later he’s ready to train again. This discussion has brought that realization to light again for me.

and by the way, the MFP was for three reps, so it was a slightly higher percentage than what he’s recommending for the microcycle, but nonetheless it was very effective and something i will return to.

[quote]Thy. wrote:

[quote]Thy. wrote:

[/quote]

Boris Sheiko’s programs[/quote]

His programs are not very popular in Russia. Only Americans use them fanatically as the next “top secret Russian” thing. 90% of powerlifers train very differently from Sheiko’s approach.

He doesn’t really have deload phases. Most of the time the work is 80% for 3 reps and the sets differ from 3 to 7. Towards the end of the cycle some rare 85%x2 and 90%x1 work may be included.

Besides, he never mentions explosiveness. He even said that you should specifically train to do a deadlift slowly.

[/quote]

Thib, was this helpful to you?

[quote]tyler15625 wrote:
Thanks for the response Christian. Hypoglycemia is an interesting theory, I’ll experiment with some leftover SWF during the workout. If it is indeed CNS overload, would you recommend an every other day approach where the workout stops when the “fuzz sets in,” building up a greater work capacity over time?[/quote]

Here’s from an article I’m currently working on:

''I like to actually use neural charge workouts within a training week, to amp up the system and improve the quality of the subsequent workouts. But it is also possible to perform a whole microcycle (5-10 days) using only this type of session. It represents a great way to revive a dead nervous system while giving the musculoskeletal system a much needed break.

What does these workouts consist of? Fairly simple:

a) pick anywhere between 2 and 4 exercises either working the whole body (at least indirectly). These can be basic lifts (bench, squat, deadlifts, rows, chins, dips, etc.), variation of the olympic lifts or jumps and throws, or covering a specific movement pattern (depending on how you structure your training).

b) perform the exercises as a circuit.

c) use moderate rest intervals between exercises (roughly 15-30 seconds if using a whole body approach or 30-45 seconds for a movement pattern-specific one).

d) use a load that is roughly 70% of your maximum and perform sets of 3 reps. If you decide to include jumps, use only your body weight and perform sets of 5. At this intensity level and number of reps even when doing a ‘‘same movement pattern circuit’’ (e.g. push press, bench press, dips) you should be able to go through the workout being super explosive and not causing any excessive fatigue or have a drop in performance.

e) perform each repetition as explosively as possible.

f) complete as many circuits as you can in 20-30 minutes (start at 20 and gradually build up to 30) but never allow yourself to do a non-explosive rep. If one exercise stops being explosive drop it from the rotation.

That’s it! You do not want to be gassed or slow during the workout. The emphasis is on speed and power, not burning yourself out. At the end of the workout you should actually want to continue training. And one hour after the session you should feel the need to chain yourself to a tree to avoid going to the gym again!

With this type of deloading microcycle not only do I feel that a drop in training frequency is not necessary, I believe that it is counterproductive. Neural charge workouts work best (as a deloading week) if the frequency of training is high: at least 4 sessions per week, preferably 5 or even 6.

This type of deloading week is ideal when you start to feel less explosive and being to have a lowered motivation to hit the weights. A similar approach is often used by Russian powerlifters who include a phase of explosive lifting only after spending some gruelling weeks under mostly heavy weights.

At the end of such a deloading week you should feel like you want to destroy the weight; you should be amped up to train like never before!‘’
[/quote]

im experiencing pretty much all of the CNS fatigue symptoms mentioned in an earlier post…

i assume the answer is yes, but i just want to make sure,is this type of training ok to do during a cutting phase?

EDIT: realized question was stupid… my bad for bumping old thread