T Nation

Thoughts about this Routine

Hi all new to the site!

Just want to introduce myself before I badger everyone with questions and ask there opinions.

Little background about my self.

I’ve been training for 6-8 years or so, always looking to expand my knowledge on all sorts of physical training. Done some power lifting type routines, cross fit routines and similer workouts while in the army and traditional body building workouts.

Always been active with everything from Rugby (which I like to watch but dont play anymore) to my new passions of BJJ and Kickboxing.

I’ve got a good understanding on how diet and exercise work (got my bodyfat down to 8.9% once at 185lbs) and have bulked up to 220 lbs while doing my power lifting workouts where I was able to squat 405 lbs.

I’m currently weigh about 195 lbs now with prob 10-12% bf

I know there is much more to learn and am hoping I can find some knowledge and helpful insight on this forum!

Now to my quesion :stuck_out_tongue:

So I’ve just started this routine. Little more background on why I chose some of these exercises. My low back has been bothing me for a while now. Tightness in the morning and such. Tweaked it real good just over a month ago while at Jiu Jitsu doing nothing really physically demanding. Getting an MRI soon just to rule out anything major. I also notice my shoulders seem to round a bit forward.

Goals are to keep my size while upping my cardio and gain some strength…

Warm up with 5 mins jumping rope and then one-two light set of the first exercise

Monday: Chest Shoulders Tris

Incline Dumbbell press 3x8
Flat bench 3x8
Standing Mil press 3x8
Cable tricep extensions 3x10
Forget the name of this next exercise for my upper back but i grasp a rope handle on a cable machine and pull towards my face and end up in a double bicep pose. do this 3x8

Wednesday: Back, Bis and some core

Deadlift 3x8
One arm DB rows 3x8
The same upper back exercise as above 3x8
DB curls 3x10
Turkish get ups 3x5

Friday: Legs

Front squat (do these as opposed to back squats because they are easier on the low back than back squats) 3x8
Stiff Leg dead lifts 3x8
Use my woody bands to do abb and adductor work for my groin for my BJJ and kickboxing 3x10
Calves for 3x10

What do you guys think? Where can I improve. I keep the workouts pretty short because I like to move fast and leave some time to do some streatching at the end. I do the upper back exercise twice a week because of my shoulders rounding forward.

Thanks alot

do legs on monday, chest on wednesday, and back on friday.

Deadlifting on wednesday will mess up squats on friday.

Looks ok. If you want to prevent your shoulder rounding forward anymore, add in some more pulling exercises. Face pulls are pretty good.

Leg day seems a little light. Maybe add some lunges to hit your glutes a little more also.

As for the tight lower back, it may be worth getting Magnificient Mobilty by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson. Its full of dynamic stretches designed to loosen up muscles, specifically the lower back and hip flexors.

opps… I forgot to add chins… 3 sets 8x8 and the 3rd is to failure

I’ll look into that book… I got Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz… Was a good read but another wont hurt…

Was also a little concerned that leg day might be on the light side… I try out adding some extra exercises and see how it feels

Looks good for your power lifting background.

[quote]Mopar44o wrote:

I’ll look into that book… I got Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz… Was a good read but another wont hurt…

Was also a little concerned that leg day might be on the light side… I try out adding some extra exercises and see how it feels[/quote]

3 sets of 8x8? That doesn’t make sense. I think you got a typo there. Did you simply mean 3x8?

Maybe instead of mil presses with your chest day, you could do a bent over row? that would go well with the next excersise that you have listed in your routine(face pulls?)

Then you could throw in the presses at the beginning of your back day… just a thought! :slight_smile:

That is basically a push/pull/legs.

A very reputable/knowledgeable poster (who will remain nameless unless he wants to jump in) suggested I do the following:

Chest/Bis/Tris
Legs/Abs
Back/Delts(shoulders)

Basically, swith bis and shoulders so you aren’t doing all your pushes on the same day. The idea is to save your shoulders some issues and not sacrifice performance on whatever is last on push day.

it would be

Chest/Bis/Tris
Legs/Abs
OFF
Back/Shoulders
OFF
Repeat (or another off day)

this may be better than m, w, f because you may not be getting enough work in (up the frequency a tad, there is no reason you can’t do chest/arms then legs the next day).

Just a thought.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
That is basically a push/pull/legs.

A very reputable/knowledgeable poster (who will remain nameless unless he wants to jump in) suggested I do the following:

Chest/Bis/Tris
Legs/Abs
Back/Delts(shoulders)

Basically, swith bis and shoulders so you aren’t doing all your pushes on the same day. The idea is to save your shoulders some issues and not sacrifice performance on whatever is last on push day.

it would be

Chest/Bis/Tris
Legs/Abs
OFF
Back/Shoulders
OFF
Repeat (or another off day)

this may be better than m, w, f because you may not be getting enough work in (up the frequency a tad, there is no reason you can’t do chest/arms then legs the next day).

Just a thought.[/quote]

Add to that you can now do some heavy CGP’s for tris instead of just extensions…

Same for Delts, you could now put another exercise for them in there.

If you are at all concerned with your performance in Jui-jitsu, then dont train like a bb’er. Ditch the body part split for TBT or an Uppper/ lower split.

Also, I wouldn’t go crazy with cardio. Use progressive lifting, diet, and a small amount of conditioning to trim down.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Mopar44o wrote:

Was also a little concerned that leg day might be on the light side… I try out adding some extra exercises and see how it feels

3 sets of 8x8? That doesn’t make sense. I think you got a typo there. Did you simply mean 3x8?[/quote]

I did sorry