Thor's a Woman Now

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]blackbolt wrote:
Thor becomes woman in ancient Norse legend… Know thy gods[/quote]

Well, he disguises himself as a woman. I hear they are going to reference his cross-dressing phase in the plot of Thor 3 (working subtitle: Big Hammer’s House).[/quote]

IMHO Lobo was the only male superhero that worked when changed into a woman. this is what you get when you piss off God so much He kicks your ass outta Heaven.

i was shocked to hear that Marvel would sink so low. but this is what what happens with Disney in the picture, they probably was want the female Thor in a Frozen-like cartoon movie. this just suck and I’m not going to support this at all.

Sorry guys, for some reason I thought the bankruptcy was around 5 years ago.

They’ll kick this around for 6 months or so and then everything will go back to the way it was. That’s about as long as I see them eating this financial loss.

Congrats girls, Marvel thought so much of your patronage that they shoehorned a female into a male character so that fans can look back and remember that stupid time when some chick pretended to be Thor for a few months and had zero identity of her own because her entire existence depends on you relating her to a male character. What a rousing success for the lady comic fans…

Ironically they are doing this at a time when the Thor comic is at an all time high too. Writer Jason Aaron has been hitting home run after home run as the writer of the current Thor line which is incredibly popular with both male and female fans. I will admit though that their PR stunt is sort of working if you go by the amount of buzz generated from this. They may even have a bunch of chicks buy the new Thor comic after the girl version takes over, but they aren’t the ones who go to the local comic shop every month and are actually serious about this shit. The people they may or may not pick up with this little charade aren’t going to be long-term business. They might get one or two issues before they decide the fun novelty has worn off or just forget they even bought one in the first place lol. The actual comic fan base on the other hand will abandon them in droves, and that includes a lot of the nerd chicks who are real comic book fans.

Full on stupid idea. Oh, and didn’t Tom Cruise play a female valkyrie?

I’d do Hemsworth over a lot of the so-called hot chicks that are all over social media these days; and he’d undoubtedly be hotter than anyone they could get irl to play “her”. Full-on homo.

…lol…

Lady Sif though, Bazinga!

Anyone see this circulating around regarding another big Marvel announcement?
IMHO, something like this actually works since Captain America really is a title that can be passed on, rather than THE NAME OF THE ACTUAL CHARACTER. Cap and Batman are symbols that in the end are immortal essentially, and their legacies can be carried onward by Bucky/ Robin/ other.
Also it doesn’t seem like Steve is going to last much longer, judging from the latest issue

What’s her enemy going to be? Patriarchy?

[quote]Pabro wrote:

IMHO, something like this actually works since Captain America really is a title that can be passed on, rather than THE NAME OF THE ACTUAL CHARACTER.
[/quote]

If you read what the announcement in the OP says, it states that the name of THOR is carried by the one who wields Mjolnir.

That implies that the name in of itself is a symbol. I have no idea whether this has always been the case in the Marvel comics universe. But if it is, then there’s nothing wrong with this at all beyond it being the kind of stunt Marvel pulls every once in a while to increase sales.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
What’s her enemy going to be? Patriarchy? [/quote]

I lol’ed hard.

I’m not into comics, but why not just make an “alternate dimension” Thor and have it be a chick and write the two comics concurrently?

Then you can cross the story lines and shit, blah blah blah.

For creative people these guys suck.

Thor-ette is obviously going to fight Loki-scha and the Enchantress

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]Pabro wrote:

IMHO, something like this actually works since Captain America really is a title that can be passed on, rather than THE NAME OF THE ACTUAL CHARACTER.
[/quote]

If you read what the announcement in the OP says, it states that the name of THOR is carried by the one who wields Mjolnir.

That implies that the name in of itself is a symbol. I have no idea whether this has always been the case in the Marvel comics universe. But if it is, then there’s nothing wrong with this at all beyond it being the kind of stunt Marvel pulls every once in a while to increase sales.[/quote]

Thor isn’t an alter-ego or a mantle that can be passed on like Green Lantern. Beta Ray Bill was able to wield Mjonir but he didn’t become Thor.

And let’s not overlook the fact that Thor is a dude’s name (not many Scandinavian women called Thor out there, and if there are, I don’t want to meet them).

[quote]csulli wrote:
Ironically they are doing this at a time when the Thor comic is at an all time high too. Writer Jason Aaron has been hitting home run after home run as the writer of the current Thor line which is incredibly popular with both male and female fans. I will admit though that their PR stunt is sort of working if you go by the amount of buzz generated from this. They may even have a bunch of chicks buy the new Thor comic after the girl version takes over, but they aren’t the ones who go to the local comic shop every month and are actually serious about this shit. The people they may or may not pick up with this little charade aren’t going to be long-term business. They might get one or two issues before they decide the fun novelty has worn off or just forget they even bought one in the first place lol. The actual comic fan base on the other hand will abandon them in droves, and that includes a lot of the nerd chicks who are real comic book fans.[/quote]

Whoever it is that becomes “Thor”(this is really the only part I disagree with), is apparently a plan long in the making by Aaron. Basically, Thor Odinson will do something to make himself unworthy of Mjolnir like in the first movie, and unlike that movie it will not be Thor who becomes worthy of picking it back up.

Framed like that I think it sounds fine, the naming is clearly just for popularity’s sake. Hopefully they do have a more elegant solution than naming Sif or whoever Thor, because Thor is Thor Odinson, not ‘the person who holds Mjolnir.’

What next? Baldur the Brave as a woman?

[quote]csulli wrote:
I will admit though that their PR stunt is sort of working if you go by the amount of buzz generated from this. They may even have a bunch of chicks buy the new Thor comic after the girl version takes over, but they aren’t the ones who go to the local comic shop every month and are actually serious about this shit. The people they may or may not pick up with this little charade aren’t going to be long-term business. They might get one or two issues before they decide the fun novelty has worn off or just forget they even bought one in the first place lol. The actual comic fan base on the other hand will abandon them in droves, and that includes a lot of the nerd chicks who are real comic book fans.[/quote]

I am sure this is the argument that goes on in the comic boardroom all the time. The notion that all this PR will translate into sales is just false. “Ohhh, Jenny McCarthy talked about our comic on the View! Here come the bucks”. Pissing off your existing fan base to try to please and attract people who will never buy your comics just isn’t a good business practice.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Pissing off your existing fan base to try to please and attract people who will never buy your comics just isn’t a good business practice.
[/quote]

lol, dude your trying to throw common sense at political correctness. You’re fighting a losing battle.

Just ride out the storm and wait for it all to come crashing down.

[quote]roybot wrote:
Thor isn’t an alter-ego or a mantle that can be passed on like Green Lantern. Beta Ray Bill was able to wield Mjonir but he didn’t become Thor.

And let’s not overlook the fact that Thor is a dude’s name (not many Scandinavian women called Thor out there, and if there are, I don’t want to meet them).[/quote]

I haven’t read the comics so I can’t speak for the actual specifics. I do know that a number of different people wielded Mjolnir at different times, and that’s why I’m confused by the whole [quote]The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads â??Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.â?? Well it’s time to update that inscription,’ says Marvel editor Wil Moss.[/quote] thing too.

But at least they are attempting to make it something that works. Just have to wait till the actual comic comes out.

I just don’t like how people are jumping up and down screaming “omg PC strikes again!”. Stop it. It’s annoying.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

And let’s not overlook the fact that Thor is a dude’s name (not many Scandinavian women called Thor out there, and if there are, I don’t want to meet them).[/quote]

I haven’t read the comics so I can’t speak for the actual specifics. I do know that a number of different people wielded Mjolnir at different times, and that’s why I’m confused by the whole [quote]The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads Ã?¢??Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.Ã?¢?? Well it’s time to update that inscription,’ says Marvel editor Wil Moss.[/quote] thing too.

But at least they are attempting to make it something that works. Just have to wait till the actual comic comes out.
[/quote]

The story line will end when ‘Thor’ removes ‘his’ mask.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[/quote]

Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, [b]shall possess the POWER OF THOR[/b]

Bill possessed Thor’s power, but didn’t become Thor. I have a feeling someone else will weild the mantle of “Thor” until the Odin son once again proves his worthines.

S