T Nation

Thor's a Woman Now

I hate when comic companies go for gimmicky story lines. I’m sure they’ll come up with some explanation, but I’m not really excited waiting to find out.

S

lame

I predict this flopping on its ass

I thought Miles Morales was cool, but this seems a little sacrilegious.
Why not give Sif her own comic instead of cheapening what it means to be worthy of Mjolnir?

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it?s unlike any Thor we?ve ever seen before.”

Unless Thor went to Thailand for gender reassignment surgery, this isn’t Thor.

There is not a self respecting Viking out there that will accept this.

whats next, male Valkaries?

crazy ass Marvel exec’s re-writing history and lore in order to sell more comics - they should be working for news stations it they want to distort history and the truth~

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I hate when comic companies go for gimmicky story lines. I’m sure they’ll come up with some explanation, but I’m not really excited waiting to find out.

S[/quote]

Agreed. It’s not like this is something “new and astonishing”, it’s just a gimmick. As much as they say this isn’t a temporary change, I think we all know it will be. They will take the quick increase in sales from those who just want to see what’s going on, then re-install Thor when interest wanes.

However, where back in the day, something like this would be over quickly, I can see this lasting much longer. The explanation that you mentioned is fairly obvious though unspoken. The comic industry holds the position that they will not create/support/invest in any new character that isn’t the traditional white male but instead, they will change an existing/popular character to non-white/female/gay to show how “diverse” they are and quickly cry complaints of sexism/racism/homophobic when people are upset about their characters being screwed.

Which is backward since not supporting any new characters that fit that diversity ideal is the real problem. Ex, Miles Morales, the new Spiderman, creating Nick Fury in the regular Marvel universe to look like the Nick Fury from the Ultimate universe or Samuel L Jackson, the new Ventriloquist in Batman, Barbara Gordon out of the wheelchair to be Batgirl again instead of Oracle, King Shark from a great white to a hammerhead, etc. Okay, that last one might not count but still bugged me…

So yes, this is temporary but still a silly gimmick that is just getting tired…

[quote]roybot wrote:
“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it?s unlike any Thor we?ve ever seen before.”

Unless Thor went to Thailand for gender reassignment surgery, this isn’t Thor.
[/quote]

And not like they haven’t had a girl carry the hammer before.

This is just so cheap and shallow. Who are they doing this for? I mean on the surface you might think it’s some kind of PR political correctness feminist appeasing stunt, but even feminists generally hate shit like this. All you’re doing is taking a male character and making it a girl and they have all sorts of problems with that. There is no actual identity or uniqueness it’s just a gender bent carbon copy. This pisses off virtually all audiences…

[quote]csulli wrote:
This is just so cheap and shallow. Who are they doing this for? I mean on the surface you might think it’s some kind of PR political correctness feminist appeasing stunt, but even feminists generally hate shit like this. All you’re doing is taking a male character and making it a girl and they have all sorts of problems with that. There is no actual identity or uniqueness it’s just a gender bent carbon copy. This pisses off virtually all audiences…[/quote]

Thor becomes woman in ancient Norse legend… Know thy gods

Semi unrelated, but can anyone tell me how Marvel went bankrupt? I figured considering the success of all of the movies over the last 15 years or so they’d be rolling in the cash, but somehow they still went bankrupt? What am I missing?

When I first read about this I was like…


but the comments in the OP’s link are hilarious.

Personally I think it is a travesty. When I was a kid and going through some rotten stuff, divorce, etc., Thor comics were an escape and a reminder of what a man could/should be, strong (physically and mentally), honest, and bold. I knew and know it is just a comic, but this is yet another erosion of the modern male.

I am not a “male rights” activists (yet) but lets keep shredding any masculine archetype so the “man’s man” is just another negative stereotype. I scored very high an emotional intelligence/personality test a few years ago, but it seems these days I have to keep my mouth shut more often than not. People are over sensitive, fearful and hateful towards anyone with confidence. I am looking for a job right now (corporate environment) and I feel like I need to tone down any masculinity in interviews in order to “fit in.” I have a deep, clear voice and for the first time in my life it feels like detriment, not asset.

My dirty secret is that I love dry, straight (no pun) gin martini’s, not appletini’s, I like a good steak, fast cars, and I am starting to train for strongman. I have to make up more asexual or feminine hobbies.

EDIT P.S. Maybe I am too manly. I am raging at this the more I think about it. Every male should memorize this speech and replace “human being” with "man."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
I knew and know it is just a comic, but this is yet another erosion of the modern male.[/quote]

O_O

Say what now?

A gimmick to boost sales? Probably. But Marvel pulled shit like that all the time. People are just up in arms about it now because it is more “sensitive”.

But an attack on men? I don’t follow.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
People are over sensitive, fearful and hateful towards anyone with confidence. I am looking for a job right now (corporate environment) and I feel like I need to tone down any masculinity in interviews in order to “fit in.” I have a deep, clear voice and for the first time in my life it feels like detriment, not asset.[/quote]

O_o

Dude. Where the fuck are you interviewing at?

If it’s a place where you have to go against every conventional interview advice, are you sure you want to work there?

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
My dirty secret is that I love dry, straight (no pun) gin martini’s, not appletini’s, I like a good steak, fast cars, and I am starting to train for strongman. I have to make up more asexual or feminine hobbies.
[/quote]

If you’re that insecure about your sexuality and masculinity, then sure I guess.

Though I haven’t got a clue what you mean by “asexual or feminine hobbies”.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Semi unrelated, but can anyone tell me how Marvel went bankrupt? I figured considering the success of all of the movies over the last 15 years or so they’d be rolling in the cash, but somehow they still went bankrupt? What am I missing?[/quote]

Didn’t they file for bankruptcy in like 96 or something? Also, all Marvel movies don’t make Marvel money. Marvel sold the movie rights to Spiderman, the X-men, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk (which they have gotten back), Ghost Rider (which they have gotten back), and Namor (which Universal hasn’t done anything with.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Semi unrelated, but can anyone tell me how Marvel went bankrupt? I figured considering the success of all of the movies over the last 15 years or so they’d be rolling in the cash, but somehow they still went bankrupt? What am I missing?[/quote]

I think that was back in the 90s, but maybe I’m wrong. They were bought by Disney a while back but I don’t remember hearing any recent bankruptcy news.

Back then, you could see some silly decisions on the marketing front. The biggest deal was these hologram comic covers, and they would make four or five different covers for a single issue. So at first, it was cool to collect them all, but then you start thinking about spending all that money on what was really a single issue.

At the same time, you had a lot of talent go their own way, guys like Todd MacFarlane of Spiderman/Spawn fame, Jim Lee, Rob Liefield, etc go off and start up Image comics or one of the imprints. Which was freaking exciting at the time. I imagine that plus stretching a lot of titles pretty thin had something to do with it.

Show her naked and you’ll all tune in like it’s a broadcast of the end-of-times.

[quote]blackbolt wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
This is just so cheap and shallow. Who are they doing this for? I mean on the surface you might think it’s some kind of PR political correctness feminist appeasing stunt, but even feminists generally hate shit like this. All you’re doing is taking a male character and making it a girl and they have all sorts of problems with that. There is no actual identity or uniqueness it’s just a gender bent carbon copy. This pisses off virtually all audiences…[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]blackbolt wrote:
Thor becomes woman in ancient Norse legend… Know thy gods[/quote]

Well, he disguises himself as a woman. I hear they are going to reference his cross-dressing phase in the plot of Thor 3 (working subtitle: Big Hammer’s House).