T Nation

Thoracic Pain/Stiffness/Injury

Could someone please, please offer some advice. At the moment I’m suffering from pain in my Thoracic spine (T-9 to 7 along with T-2-4 estimated), which gets worse when I sit for a pro-longed period. Of a morning it feels really stiff and the actual vertebra feel sore to touch, twisting also feels sore. I’ve been foam rolling a lot, Yoga stretches for back pain along wit lots of plank exercises for basic core stability.

I’ve been to see a physio who ‘cracked’ my back (this gave me relief for a couple of days), but I’m back in pain now.

see a decent sports physio or possibly osteopath, ideally someone who a knowledgeable friend/trusted acquaintance recommends, they should be able to tell you what is the likely cause and help you medium/longer term etc unlike your previous experience from the sound of it. this does not necessarily mean they get you coming back for lots of sessions! 1 decent session may suffice combined with you following their guidance outside of the clinic ie rehab, depending on the complexity/severity etc.

I could recommend a great 1 in central London but I think it’s prohibited on this forum.

I’m just guessing but it could be that a vertebra is/vertebrae are out of alignment and have been for a while hence why the adjustment gave temporary relief but the muscles/your body has gotten used to/compensated for the incorrect alignment and it eventually comes back, and/or it could be related to exercise etc, this is where doing postural work religiously should help very shortly after the appointment and probably for a few weeks at least, depending.

[quote]Charlietr wrote:
see a decent sports physio or possibly osteopath, ideally someone who a knowledgeable friend/trusted acquaintance recommends, they should be able to tell you what is the likely cause and help you medium/longer term etc unlike your previous experience from the sound of it. this does not necessarily mean they get you coming back for lots of sessions! 1 decent session may suffice combined with you following their guidance outside of the clinic ie rehab, depending on the complexity/severity etc.

I could recommend a great 1 in central London but I think it’s prohibited on this forum.

I’m just guessing but it could be that a vertebra is/vertebrae are out of alignment and have been for a while hence why the adjustment gave temporary relief but the muscles/your body has gotten used to/compensated for the incorrect alignment and it eventually comes back, and/or it could be related to exercise etc, this is where doing postural work religiously should help very shortly after the appointment and probably for a few weeks at least, depending.[/quote]

Charlietr, thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!!! It’s driving me insane, the physio I went to see wasn’t bothered and basically wanted me in and out as quickly as possible. I’m based in the North West of England, but thanks for the offer of a recommendation.

Once again thanks for your help!

It’s hard to mobilise the upper thoracic spine yourself, even with a foam roller. Some people find relief by taping 2 tennis balls together, placing them on the floor and then arching you upper back over them. So that your spinous processes fall in the gap between the balls.

Otherwise you do need physio/manipulative therapies.

I have a T7-T10 injury so I know what you feel. Sitting around is really bad for it.

I’ve been through pain management with all sorts of injections, nerve blocks, physical therapy and now back with a good chiropractor. The chiropractor is taking care of a couple of vertabrae that are sunken in, my spine lost the natural arc to it. The progress is slow, but that’s all that is helping me now. Some days I get a good adjustment and I feel better, but not great for a couple of days.

Rob

Mr Stern and Beachguy498 thanks for your replies.