Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

About 2 months ago I was told I have thoracic outlet syndrome (vein impidgement). First has anyone in TNation ever had something like this. I’m going into surgery tomorrow maybe to have a rib removed. Also being on testostrone therapy will it help promote healing. I havent had a chance to speak to my doctor he’ll be calling back. From some of my research it shows it will. So curious to see if anyone here has had thoracic outlet syndrome.

thanks
dant52

I have the signs and symptoms of this as well. It was real bad before I started working-out again and changed the position of my sleep. Working-out was the easy part, changing how I sleep was hard. I like to sleep on my stomach with my head resting on my shoulder. I had to start sleeping with my arms at my side which seem to help.

I sleep more on my side now. I think the TRT is helping as well but no way prove that. I also have a great chiropractor. Surgery is scary to me. I would try other treatments like physical therapy, massage, stretching, chiropractic first before surgery any day. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

[quote]Tuskill wrote:
I have the signs and symptoms of this as well. It was real bad before I started working-out again and changed the position of my sleep. Working-out was the easy part, changing how I sleep was hard. I like to sleep on my stomach with my head resting on my shoulder. I had to start sleeping with my arms at my side which seem to help.

I sleep more on my side now. I think the TRT is helping as well but no way prove that. I also have a great chiropractor. Surgery is scary to me. I would try other treatments like physical therapy, massage, stretching, chiropractic first before surgery any day. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon. [/quote]
Had the surgery went well took longer than normal lots of muscle to cut through. They had to remove a rib and the vein impinged looked good. So now its all about time and see what happens. They also want to put aballon in the vein to open it up more. So we will ha to see

Good deal. Glad the surgery went well. “lots of muscle to cut through” ooOOMG I hope your recovery go’s well. Please give us an update as you recover.

Hey just wondering how recovery has gone, any updates?
I will be getting a MRI done before to long, Think I may be dealing with the same thing or something similar.

I don’t know how useful testosterone is for healing (after all, women have little testosterone and yet heal at least as well as men from surgery).

However, in my personal experience, increasing your level of testosterone can markedly diminish chronic pain. I think this has more to do with how testosterone affects neurotransmitters than with tissue healing.

[quote]seekonk wrote:
I don’t know how useful testosterone is for healing (after all, women have little testosterone and yet heal at least as well as men from surgery).

However, in my personal experience, increasing your level of testosterone can markedly diminish chronic pain. I think this has more to do with how testosterone affects neurotransmitters than with tissue healing. [/quote]

But males can have low T levels that exceed female levels and are then catabolic with muscle loss and thinning skin [collagen loss]. So my bets are on better healing with an anabolic state.