This Thing We Do

Doc,
You are 100% correct. I’ve been told by other throwers I’m opening up too early. Loosing all my torgue. I wasn’t even gaining 3 feet over the power position with my full glide. Now that I’m practicing the spin, I’m starting to get a lot more out of it.

Item of interest. This may be old news but I got hold of a old documentary/movie about the Master’s Mr. Olympia back in 1997. It’s mainly about Lou Ferigno @43 and Boyer Coe @ 48. Also has Dickerson and some others all late 40’s early 50’s. Bodybuilding has never been my thing and granted these guys were huge in their prime.

But if you ever doubt people our age can still move some weight, get hold of this movie for a little inspiration.
I think I’ve finally come up with a routine. Listed every lift I did. Those that I think directly affect throwing got a 1. Indirectly related got a 2. I broke these into a 3 seperate days. I’ll list them later.

Tonight did box jumps in my yard (real low boxs). My Labs (retrievers) jumped over them a lot easier than I did.

Dr. Squat, Fred Hatfield was 45 when he squatted 1014 lbs. Al Beckles was 55 when he came second to Lee Haney in the Mr Olympia contest.

Here’s the routine I’m going to follow and see how it pays off

Day 1
machine hack squats
front squats
overhead squats
close grip bench
tricep ext

alternates
leg press
skull crushers

Day 2
Bench
Incline bench
deadlift
bent rows
hammer lat pulldowns
shrugs

alts
hammer incline bench

Day 3
clean/press
power cleans
front press
rear lat raises
hammer curls

alts
hammer btn press
hammer front press
seated db press

Today, started on day 2
Bench 135xwu 185,225,275,315x5,345x4,365x3,385x1 (tried 2, no go)
Incline bench 135xwu, 185x8, 225x6, 275x4x2
deadlift 135x5, 185 x 5, 225x5, 315x 5, 405x3,455x3
bent rows 135wu, 185x6, 225x6x2
hammer lat pulldowns 90xwu, 180x6x4
shrugs 225xmax x2

What started out to be my new day 3 day resulted in a breakthrough. With the aid of 2 young lifting partners helping me loosen up my shoulders I managed to do behind the neck presses. 3 sets of 8 @ 45. Only hit myself in the back of the head twice. Wide grip but each set felt better. Opens up the possiblity of actually squatting again. After numerous PTs over the years it only took a couple of feeling and understanding helpers to get me there. (“It can’t hurt that damn much.” “Stop yelling like a little bitch.” “Shut up, your hands are almost touching”). After that the rest of the work out went great.

General observation: After reading a lot of the posts on this forum and watching more “mature” lifters it seems the back we fear so much is the last to go. I see guys at the gym using some serious weight for their lat work while the rest of the lifts are just so-so.

Completely off my schedule for the last couple of days and tomorrow. It’s very busy at the post office. Tomorrow we deliver until everything’s gone. Most of us don’t really mind, thought. You really do get the Christmas spirit delivering all the letters and packages. I deliver in the “historic” part of town and they go all out on the decorations. It’s Christmas time, I’m waking up in my own house, next to my wife, and no one’s shooting at me. Life is very good.
I did get out this morning and get some throws in with the 56lb weight. It’s cold and wet so I left some really good holes in my throwing area in the back yard. Can’t complain, though. I get videos from guys up north digging their shots and weights out of the snow.

Merry Christmas to all. For those of you with family in harm’s way my prayers are with you.

Ms Claus was good to me and I’m trying to enter the digital age. Added one photo and a real short video. Hoping they come. Threw today so hittin the gym tonight.

I hope you had a good Xmas. You picture is there but I don’t see a video.

2nd try. If this doesn’t come out I’m open to advice.

That worked. I don’t know anything about throwing so I won’t comment.

Stu

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
take out at least one if not both days of swimming and do the shot put.[/quote]

I don’t really agree with taking out the swimming, as long as hel tries to achieve full rotation on his crawl, it will do nothing but improve his ROM, and ultimately his ability to explode on the shotput.

hel, sounds like you’ve got a good plan in place. We have Highland Games here as well, and they are a real kick. (No I don’t participate…) :slight_smile:

hey hel!

sorry it took so long for me to get over here and check your thread out.

nice to see another old thrower out here.

keep it coming, especially the throwing videos, i am bouncing the thought around in my head of trying to compete in HG again. with my left triceps being only about 25% of what it used to be, a primarily leg/back/hip and ONE arm sport(like HG) is something that might be doable for me.

maybe i can dig some of my old implements up and play around a little.

if i do, maybe we should post videos and “coach” each other, as i have not been able to find anybody out here who throws.

whatcha thin?

[quote]Mr. X wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
take out at least one if not both days of swimming and do the shot put.

I don’t really agree with taking out the swimming, as long as hel tries to achieve full rotation on his crawl, it will do nothing but improve his ROM, and ultimately his ability to explode on the shotput.

hel, sounds like you’ve got a good plan in place. We have Highland Games here as well, and they are a real kick. (No I don’t participate…) :)[/quote]

I just love to swim. It does help loosen up my shoulders and I can at least claim I’m doing some cardio.

If you ever get a chance to be in a highland game go for it. The competitors are probably the friendliest and most helpful I’ve met in any sport.

Yesterday, throwing and screen debut.
Shot
Power position - 16lb x 10
14lb x 10
12lb x 10
weight throw
single spin 35lb x 10
25lb x 10
single arm 25lb x 10 (highland stlye)

Tonight- speed work
BTN Presses - help with the loosening routine again. (They enjoy it too much)
115 x 8 x 4 (never hit myself behind the head!)
Power cleans - 135x8, 185 x 6 x 4
front press - 135x8 (fast as I could)x4
clean/press - 135x6x4 (almost snatchs)
Alt db hammer curls 50 x max x 4

Last night

machine hack squats
90wu, 180x10, 270x8x4
front squats (to sitting on bench)
135x8, 155x8x4
overhead squats
135x8, 155x8x3
close grip bench
135wu,185x8,225x8x3
tricep ext (straight bar)
150x8x3

Last night - swimming

Question? Does anybody here actually work out with anybody their own age? Noticed several guys on this forum work out at home but how about those who go to a gym. There’s several guys I work out with pretty regularly but I’m more than twice their age. At least once per workout I get the “what the hell is he talking about” look or the “we weren’t born yet” reply. Most guys my age at the gym I go to are into cardio and a few of the machine. Just wandering if we’re that strange.

hi hel320
really enjoyed reading your thread find it very motivational as i rarely come across anyone older than me in my local gym and i’m only 38! i’m afraid i don’t know much about throwing sports but i may have something to add.

have you ever thought about adding some kettlebell excercises into your routine. i have found since i added them to my workouts my explosive power and the ability to transfer drive through my hips into my arms/shoulders has increased significantly.been using them for 5 months now and i think they are a great addition to the more popular lifts.
cheers ali.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Last night - swimming

Question? Does anybody here actually work out with anybody their own age? Noticed several guys on this forum work out at home but how about those who go to a gym. There’s several guys I work out with pretty regularly but I’m more than twice their age. At least once per workout I get the “what the hell is he talking about” look or the “we weren’t born yet” reply. Most guys my age at the gym I go to are into cardio and a few of the machine. Just wandering if we’re that strange.[/quote]

I don’t workout with anyone…younger or older:

1. Almost all of the guys at my gym are into some fashion of “beauty building”.

2. Even if there were some hard-core strength lifters, it would be hard for me to co-ordinate schedules with them.

3. At least this way, I avoid becoming part of the gym “scene”. That “scene” means chatting ad infinitum between sets, from what I see. I am all business when I get in the gym and I want it to stay that way. I will occasionally take a brief glance at an attractive butt-thonged godess, but that’s the extent of distractions for me.

That said, hanging out with younger people sometimes is cool. Occasionally when hanging out with them, a classic rock song from the 70s or early 80s will come on the radio
and they will say, “Hey, that’s a kick-ass song. Wonder who it is.” I am usually able to tell them the group, the song name and the year it came out and some kind of anecdotal information about the song.

I go to a military gym. There are a few of us Army types on a Navy base. The Navy guys only go to the gym for testing and otherwise don’t bother. The Army guys all go regularly and since we’re a headquarters unit so most of us are in our 40s or 50s. Occasionally I see some retired guys in their 60s come in. Still most are doing cardio and machines. It’s not hard to find the squat rack empty.

Stu

Alit: Kettlebells are very big with throwers. Haven’t tried them but I think I’m going to have to invest in some. BTW, when I was throwing for the Air Force some of the best “Athletic” meets I was in were in England(Lakenheath, Alconbury). The officiating was always top notch. I’ll never forget, “Mr Love, would you care to put?”

Entheogens: I count glancing at butt-thonged goddesses as cardio. Fortunately my young workout partners are, usually, the strong silent types. Unfortunately they don’t seem to understand the recovery rate at 50+ is a lot different than their’s.

Stuward: The miltary base (post) near me is full of a lot of very young trainees. I usaually only get to it on Sundays and its pretty emptied. It’s got every machine imaginable but only one small room of free weights. Fortunately, no Navy.

Sorry but I don’t no how to do multiple quotes. Thanks for responding.

Almost everyone at my gym is OLDER than me, haha. They are all seniors who ride the bike, rowing machine, and then drink coffe and BS for 2 hours. There are no serious lifters there. Most never make it to the weights which is cool for me. I think I need tro find a new gym, lol.