T Nation

This Sport Doesn't Get Enough Respect

dayum, this was entertaining. This sport is sport doesn’t get enough respect.

Shaw is awesome!

Hell no it doesn’t. The prize money is still a friking joke! You can win more money on 1 episode of wheel of fortune. 30+ years on TV and still only $40,000 for first? It is shameful. The croud is always so small, even at the finals. I just don’t get it.

[quote]fattymcfatso wrote:
Hell no it doesn’t. The prize money is still a friking joke! You can win more money on 1 episode of wheel of fortune. 30+ years on TV and still only $40,000 for first? It is shameful. The croud is always so small, even at the finals. I just don’t get it.[/quote]

The crowd was small because there was no advertising and no signs directing people anywhere. It was almost impossible to find. I drove to go see the truck pull/deadlift event in the semi’s and almost turned around and went home after circling the track several times. Ended up spotting a security guard and asking him and finding an open tunnel to the infield.

And even the crowd was ridiculously small, there is absolutely no viewing area for spectators. It was tough to even see the events even though no one was there.

Everything was set up for the cameras and the TV audience.

They also moved the finals from a weekend to the middle of the week if I recall correctly.

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:
They also moved the finals from a weekend to the middle of the week if I recall correctly.[/quote]

Yup, and they did it like the week before. My trip was planned for the finals and it ended up being the semi-finals.

The World’s Strongest Man, at least technically, has to be one of the, if not the, most prestiguous titles on the planet. Every man wants to be strong and test their might. I do not understand why teamsports such as soccer or baseball are so successful whereas the most natural way to determine the King of the Jungle is not. It does not make any sense. Society changed. People today watch “300” or “Gladiator” and are impressed. But when they are offered real warriors, they decline.

Hafthor Bjornsson is 6’9" and almost 440lbs? Holy crap.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
Hafthor Bjornsson is 6’9" and almost 440lbs? Holy crap.[/quote]

Him and shaw are monsters.

.


.

Savickas is an incredible presser. He didn’t even make those presses a push press when all the other contestants were using all the legs they could. Add on the fact that he got more than anyone else? He’s a freaking beast.

No it doesn’t. though i think there has been positives lately. Its simply just not marketed right or have people putting in enough $$ to make it grow like it could.