This split: what do you think?

I have found that in order to work in all of the exercises I want for chest and shoulders, some movements suffer near the end of the workout because I’m just plain spent from the ones I did earlier. My solution was to split chest and shoulders over two days - that way, incline bench, for example, doesn’t suffer because I fagged out on flat bench earlier. An example of this split would be this:

Day 1:

Bench Press
Dumbbell Flyes
Cable Rows
One-arm DB rows
Shrugs

Day 2:

Incline Bench Press
Incline Flyes
Military Press
Wide-grip chins
Side raises

Does anybody here split up their exercises this way? I feel as though I’m getting good results with what I’m doing (incline bench has improved a lot), but I’m wondering if I have science on my side. Also, these exercises don’t follow each other on consecutive days - the way I stagger it makes sure that rest days occur between these two. Any thoughts?

Where is all of your leg movements? If you are working out day 2 the next day after day 1, then you might be overtraining those muscles. Your body needs rest to grow and recover.

They’re called legs you know Quads, Hams, & Calves, Hello!

you have two workouts and both have chest in them. Are you kidding? Are there an other workouts like day 3,4,5 etc that you have not posted or are these the only movemnets you do? If so Check out the FAQ section on T-mag.com homepage and check out any of the programs there. pick one and do it.

I just want to know if anybody splits a major muscle group over 2 days to avoid the fatigue factor. Depending on how I arrange the two shoulder/chest days, the muscle I use was last worked a week ago…but it works out so that chest/shoulders are worked twice a week.

Yes, I have a well-balanced routine, including legs (thanks for the helpful hint, Kraig), but I felt it was relevant only to mention the above division. I am wondering am I benefitting by doing this strategy, or should I attack the muscle group just in one day? My incline movements have improved a lot since I started doing this, when previously I was so tired for it I couldn’t do it after doing normal benching exercises.

I’m just curious to see if anybody else does it this way. I don’t need to be pointed towards any FAQ’s, thanks.

I think it would depend on the volume. Personally, I wouldn’t press 2 days in a row. I have done both flat and incline bench in the same week though. How many sets/reps? Why don’t you train your legs in between the two? Have you tried a vertical/horizontal split?

Was your reason for doing this to increase strength, size, or both? If it was size, I would suggest more volume overall. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the heart of your question, the science behind what you’re doing.

If it’s working, stick with it, and try not to question it. I am sure that you can find two well thought out opinions on this board, one saying what you’re doing will never work, and the other saying that what you’re doing is the only way to get stronger. So don’t question success. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I found it quite clear that you were just asking about your chest and shoulder split and not displaying your entire training regimen.

John Berardi’s article ‘The Creation of a T-Man’ incorporates something similar in the ‘bridge’ phase of the program. The first workout is low rep (6 sets of 4) and the second day is high rep (3 sets of 10-12). In the end, if it works for you then do it.

I’d say that the proof is in the pudding (or some other similarly appropriate aphorism). If you’re gaining from what you’re doing, who cares what “science” thinks?

(Oh, and it was also clear to me what you were asking up top. Illegitemi non carborundum.)

In a 5x5 routine I used in the past, I would on Day 1 use a horizontal push/pull and then comeback on Day 4 and use a vertical push/pull. Day 2 would be hip dominant and Day 5 would be quad dominant.