This Man Needs Help (US Vet)

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
And what about the state trooper who lives down the street? Should he be allowed as well? Or perhaps the surgeon around the block who has successfully saved hundreds of lives? Where do you draw the “hero” line?

I salute the man for his service to our country, but I also expect a law-abiding, respectful gentleman to find a way of expressing his civilian patriotism in such a way that doesn’t negate the terms of a contract that he initially agreed to.
[/quote]

"Second Lieutenant Barfoot’s official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.[4]"

Cliffs:

-flanks enemy machinegun nest alone, kills 2 germans, injures 3 with grenade
-kills 2 more germans, captures 3 at another machinegun nest
-ultimately takes 17 prisoners
-later grabs bazooka and takes on 3 tanks. Disables one tank and kills crew of 3.
-advances and destroys fieldpiece with demo
-on return assists two seriously wounded men 1700 yards back to safety

The man should be able to do whatever the fuck he wants.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]doubleh wrote:
My thoughts are, in the event one is awarded the Congresional Medal of Fucking Honor, said recipient should be allowed to fly the flag on whatever he so chooses, homeowner’s association rules be damned. You like that?

It’s not the fact that the HA is technically “right” in this case; it’s their rigid inflexibility in enforcing their stupid little rules that are SO important, they have brought legal action against a war hero. They can’t pass an amendment or whatever exempting this poor guy, or better yet, all vets and current military, from the pole rule so as to allow them to fly the flag as they see fit? Really? No, instead they abandon all common sense for “fairness”, because hey, if Joe Sixpack down the street can’t have a flagpole, neither should 90-year old war heroes. In fact, we better hurry up and sue him.

Fucking unbelievable.[/quote]

And what about the state trooper who lives down the street? Should he be allowed as well? Or perhaps the surgeon around the block who has successfully saved hundreds of lives? Where do you draw the “hero” line?

Making special concessions is as ridiculous as the restrictions. Rules are made to uphold standards - whether you think they’re stupid or not. A man should be respected for his actions, and a man should respect a pact he has made with another party where all terms and restrictions are acknowledged. A contract is just such a pact.

I salute the man for his service to our country, but I also expect a law-abiding, respectful gentleman to find a way of expressing his civilian patriotism in such a way that doesn’t negate the terms of a contract that he initially agreed to.
[/quote]

Sorry, but as a former marine who has been in combat, I can tell you that comparing the actions of a MOH winner with a police officer or surgeon is so absurd that words can’t even describe it. If it wasnt for people like this guy there would not be any of these jerk-off home owners associations or police officers or surgeons as we know them now.

Also, you have to have a hole in your fucking head to buy a house where other people can tell what you can or cannot do with it.

[quote]totalfit wrote:

Also, you have to have a hole in your fucking head to buy a house where other people can tell what you can or cannot do with it.[/quote]

But this guy did buy a home where other people can tell him what to do with the common areas.

I hate doing yard work. That is why I bought my place. I love it.

This guy probably bought his place for similar reasons.

[quote]totalfit wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]doubleh wrote:
My thoughts are, in the event one is awarded the Congresional Medal of Fucking Honor, said recipient should be allowed to fly the flag on whatever he so chooses, homeowner’s association rules be damned. You like that?

It’s not the fact that the HA is technically “right” in this case; it’s their rigid inflexibility in enforcing their stupid little rules that are SO important, they have brought legal action against a war hero. They can’t pass an amendment or whatever exempting this poor guy, or better yet, all vets and current military, from the pole rule so as to allow them to fly the flag as they see fit? Really? No, instead they abandon all common sense for “fairness”, because hey, if Joe Sixpack down the street can’t have a flagpole, neither should 90-year old war heroes. In fact, we better hurry up and sue him.

Fucking unbelievable.[/quote]

Making special concessions is as ridiculous as the restrictions. Rules are made to uphold standards - whether you think they’re stupid or not. A man should be respected for his actions, and a man should respect a pact he has made with another party where all terms and restrictions are acknowledged. A contract is just such a pact.

[/quote]

Sorry, but as a former marine who has been in combat, I can tell you that comparing the actions of a MOH winner with a police officer or surgeon is so absurd that words can’t even describe it. If it wasnt for people like this guy there would not be any of these jerk-off home owners associations or police officers or surgeons as we know them now.

Also, you have to have a hole in your fucking head to buy a house where other people can tell what you can or cannot do with it.[/quote]
YUT! KILL BODIES! EAT BABIES!

You’re all crying over what OUGHT to be, what SHOULD be. But it it what it is, and like Christine said, the Col. bought his home under the Homeowners Association for the very benefits that it offered. He knew the rules. Nobody forced him to buy in that community. And he seems reasonable about its authority in that all he wants is to enter into a conversation about the matter he holds dear.

It’s not a perfect world. Don’t argue with me over it. Petition the homeowners association on the Col’s behalf.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
You’re all crying over what OUGHT to be, what SHOULD be. But it it what it is, and like Christine said, the Col. bought his home under the Homeowners Association for the very benefits that it offered. He knew the rules. Nobody forced him to buy in that community. And he seems reasonable about its authority in that all he wants is to enter into a conversation about the matter he holds dear.

It’s not a perfect world. Don’t argue with me over it. Petition the homeowners association on the Col’s behalf.[/quote]

I see your point ID, and i’m not arguing with your logic at all. the guy signed the contract stating no poles or whatever (didn’t read the article, but i’ll just go off what you guys say)

but with rules there are exceptions: like when the state trooper lets a speeder off with a warning and tells them ‘happy holidays’, or somone is late to work because they stopped on the side the road to assist in an accident scene and doesn’t get fired.

hell, i remember when my parents used to let me miss school on my birthday. even though the rule was i was always to attend class.

there are always exceptions to the rule ID. arguing that a policy should be followed blindly 100% is where i see faults.

but yes, in all seriousness the guy did all of that just SO we could raise the flag and bring it down every morning. mofo should be able to put a flag down where ever the hell he felt it necessary.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

and i know this was lightly touched on, but i do want to reiterate the difference between someone waking up every morning and doing their job (like the trooper and surgeon) and someone who recieves the MOH.

i am not suggestion every soldier in the military be allowed to do whatever they want. of course not.

IMO, although most people realize what the MOH is, i don’t think they truly know the types of actions and decisions it takes to be awarded one. most people wouldn’t even be able to physically or mentaly capable to even PREFORM the actions, much less have the intestinal fortitude to go through with it.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Oh, and Print… if you think Missus Dwarf would be a willing bed partner AFTER you’ve treated her to the gourmet fare of BK Lounge, you got another thing coming.

lol
[/quote]

But ID, I’m going to let her have it her way.

BTW, thanks for putting Priest in my head… You subliminal bastard you.

here’s the facebook group for those who have FP:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&ref=mf&gid=190716948379

I agree with Iron Dwarf, SickDevildog, Christine, Push and Print…basically I agree with everyone…

[quote]sen say wrote:
I agree with Iron Dwarf, SickDevildog, Christine, Push and Print…basically I agree with everyone…[/quote]

Riding the fence usually results in a major wedgie, bruised balls, or both.

lol

I agree with Push and DownwardDog. People should not be forced into following contracts they voluntarily agreed to. People should be allowed to abrogate otherwise consensual contracts because they are popular.

I’m as patriotic as the next person, but lets face it people PATRIOTISM DOES NOT PAY THE BILLS. Old grandpa here should stop coveting his trophies from the past and realize that some people need to make a buck, especially in this economy, even if it means sacrificing a bit of the good ol ‘FUCK YEAH AMERICA’ spirit. This is America, a country founded on the principle of liberty, prosperity, and the pursuit of happiness.

The homeowner shouldn’t have to deal with decreased property values just because this guy feels the need to attention whore and wave around the flag as if to say “look at me everyone I’m a veteran, don’t forget about meeeeee”. He signed the contract, now he should live by it. If he didn’t bother to read the clauses then that’s his problem, plain and simple.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Otep wrote:
I agree with Push and DownwardDog. People should not be forced into following contracts they voluntarily agreed to. People should be allowed to abrogate otherwise consensual contracts because they are popular.[/quote]

Read Holy Mac’s first post on this page for my take on this. He summed it up rather nicely.[/quote]

Right. The part where there should be exceptions to rules. He doesn’t spend too much time explaining a just procedure of deciding who decides who gets to bend the rules and how. Usually, we use public servants who spend large portions of their life studying our complex systems of law, who are then vetted by the opinion of the public they serve. In his example, he lists nice police officers and his mother.

His way seems much more reasonable.

What this guy did to receive the medal of honor sounded like an action movie. I’d pay extra to live near this him, he is everything that encompasses the word “Man”.