T Nation

This Man Needs Help (US Vet)

http://blog.flecksoflife.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Henrico1.jpg
Colonel Van T. Barfort, 90, from Richmond VA is being ordered by his homeowner association to remove the flag pole on his property.

Did you miss it? Look at the Colonel?s picture again. See what?s hanging around his neck? Yep.

The Congressional Medal of Honor.

?The decorated veteran of three wars, now 90 years old, raises the American flag every morning on the pole, then lowers and folds the flag at dusk each day in a three-corner military fashion.?

You pissed yet? If not. Leave. Immediately.

From the Richmond Times Dispatch:

In a priority mail letter, the Coates & Davenport law firm in Richmond is ordering Barfoot to remove the pole by 5 p.m. Friday or face ?legal action being brought to enforce the Covenants and Restrictions against you.? The letter states that Barfoot will be subject to paying all legal fees and costs in any successful legal proceeding pursued by the homeowner association?s board.

Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds.

You can read the entire article from the Richmond Times Dispatch here.

So here is what all of us need to do for Colonel Barfoot. It is the very least we can do for him in return for his heroic service, sacrifice, and patriotism for us all.

Call and or fax Coates & Davenport, the law firm representing the home owner association.

FLOOD THEM WITH CALLS!!

Here are the officers per public records:
This is the homeowners association president:

GLENN WILSON PRESIDENT
11800 N Downs Sq
Henrico, VA 23238-3474
(804) 741-9160

ANN WILLIAMS SECRETARY
MARTHA G MIDDLETON TREASURER
EVELYN L WILSON DIRECTOR

Law Firms Email - http://www.coateslaw.com/CM/Custom/Contact.asp

CLIFFS:
-90 YR OLD WAR HERO IS TOLD TO NOT FLY A UNITED STATES FLAG.
-HE IS BEING THREATENED WITH LEGAL ACTION.
-CALL OR EMAIL THE PRESIDENT OF HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION OR LAW FIRM AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ASKING A WAR HERO TO TAKE DOWN HIS FLAG IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

MODS PLEASE DONT DELETE - THE NUMBERS ARE ALL PUBLIC NUMBERS INTENDED FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

link does not work

fixed

crazy

Really?

They are planning on suing this old patriotic veteran? Simply because of a flag pole?

That’s it.

I’ve lost all faith in future generations of mankind.

As someone who lives in a nice development and pays a small yearly association fee, I understand his frustration. However, it was most likely stated in his association contract that erecting a flagpole is in violation of community standards. You should see some of the bullshit that entails! But it is what it is and though it seems un-American, those standards also protect him in the event real losers move in next door and suddenly property values decline.

Did he sign some contract that says he isn’t allowed to have a flag pole or something? Otherwise this is retarded.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
those standards also protect him in the event real losers move in next door and suddenly property values decline.

[/quote]

if someone can’t see the difference between putting up an american flag vs a nazi or gay pride or POW or anything other than the national flag then they should be punched in the head by print

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
those standards also protect him in the event real losers move in next door and suddenly property values decline.

[/quote]

if someone can’t see the difference between putting up an american flag vs a nazi or gay pride or POW or anything other than the national flag then they should be punched in the head by print[/quote]

I know where you’re coming from, HM. But where the line gets drawn is subjective. I believe in this case it’s the pole itself that’s the problem (judging from the standards our association adheres to). We’re not allowed to erect a free-standing pole either, but we’re free to erect a deck-mount pole from our porches, garage frames or wherever. And I’ve seen all sorts of gay-ass flags around here… along with the good old stars & stripes.

And besides, Print couldn’t punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

Another thing, I don’t see a link to any article? Just a picture of the vet and lawfirm contact info.

I’d like to read the whole thing if there’s more.

Okay, Devil_Jacket just posted a thread which contains a link to the article.
And I was correct in assuming the homeowners’ Association had a problem with the POLE, not the FLAG.

(Thanks Devil_Jacket).

Barfoot is one of the country’s last living World War II veterans who received the Medal of Honor. He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War and earned a Purple Heart. In WWII, Barfoot showed his mettle in Carano, Italy, where he single-handedly destroyed a set of German machine gun nests, killed eight enemy soldiers, took 17 prisoners and stared down a tank before destroying it and killing its crew â?? all in a single day. Exhausted by his herculean efforts, he still managed to move two of his wounded men 1,700 yards to safety.

That’s a fuckin T -Man

[quote]Devil_Jacket wrote:
Barfoot is one of the country’s last living World War II veterans who received the Medal of Honor. He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War and earned a Purple Heart. In WWII, Barfoot showed his mettle in Carano, Italy, where he single-handedly destroyed a set of German machine gun nests, killed eight enemy soldiers, took 17 prisoners and stared down a tank before destroying it and killing its crew Ã?¢?? all in a single day. Exhausted by his herculean efforts, he still managed to move two of his wounded men 1,700 yards to safety.

That’s a fuckin T -Man [/quote]

Yep! I’d even allow him to attend church naked and unbathed.

My thoughts are, in the event one is awarded the Congresional Medal of Fucking Honor, said recipient should be allowed to fly the flag on whatever he so chooses, homeowner’s association rules be damned. You like that?

It’s not the fact that the HA is technically “right” in this case; it’s their rigid inflexibility in enforcing their stupid little rules that are SO important, they have brought legal action against a war hero. They can’t pass an amendment or whatever exempting this poor guy, or better yet, all vets and current military, from the pole rule so as to allow them to fly the flag as they see fit? Really? No, instead they abandon all common sense for “fairness”, because hey, if Joe Sixpack down the street can’t have a flagpole, neither should 90-year old war heroes. In fact, we better hurry up and sue him.

Fucking unbelievable.

[quote]doubleh wrote:
My thoughts are, in the event one is awarded the Congresional Medal of Fucking Honor, said recipient should be allowed to fly the flag on whatever he so chooses, homeowner’s association rules be damned. You like that?

It’s not the fact that the HA is technically “right” in this case; it’s their rigid inflexibility in enforcing their stupid little rules that are SO important, they have brought legal action against a war hero. They can’t pass an amendment or whatever exempting this poor guy, or better yet, all vets and current military, from the pole rule so as to allow them to fly the flag as they see fit? Really? No, instead they abandon all common sense for “fairness”, because hey, if Joe Sixpack down the street can’t have a flagpole, neither should 90-year old war heroes. In fact, we better hurry up and sue him.

Fucking unbelievable.[/quote]

And what about the state trooper who lives down the street? Should he be allowed as well? Or perhaps the surgeon around the block who has successfully saved hundreds of lives? Where do you draw the “hero” line?

Making special concessions is as ridiculous as the restrictions. Rules are made to uphold standards - whether you think they’re stupid or not. A man should be respected for his actions, and a man should respect a pact he has made with another party where all terms and restrictions are acknowledged. A contract is just such a pact.

I salute the man for his service to our country, but I also expect a law-abiding, respectful gentleman to find a way of expressing his civilian patriotism in such a way that doesn’t negate the terms of a contract that he initially agreed to.

Bullshit.

It’s not about anyone’s subjective view on what a “hero” is (although I’m pretty certain this man would meet anyone’s criteria). It’s about serving in the military, especially when one’s service is as distinguished as his.

Those that serve in the US military have a special connection with the flag. It is a symbol of the oath they took to serve the country. Raising the flag every AM and taking it down every PM is military tradition. I am suggesting that this self-important little homeowners associaltion board should be able to cut through the crap and realize that maybe, just maybe, suing a 90-year-old war hero for flying the flag, same as he’s done for decades, might not be the best compromise. If you read closely you’ll see the board has refused.

" “I don’t have any qualms with [the board’s] authority, but the thing about it is that I cannot get enough conversation out of them where we can try to work out a solution,” Barfoot said. "

COMMON SENSE. 90-year-old war heroes should be able to get a “special concession”. Skinheads flying the Nazi flag should not. And why is that OK? Becasue, as you say, signing the contract gives the board the authority to decide what is OK and what is not!!! SO why can’t they use this authority to give this poor guy a break rather than sue him??

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

And besides, Print couldn’t punch his way out of a wet paper bag. [/quote]

Oh dude, it is on like Donkey Kong. Not only am I going to punch you in the face, I’m going to take your beautiful red headed, flat stomach, gorgeous smile wife to the BK lounge and than to the bed of my truck. She will than proceed to tell me how she enjoyed me punching an 80’s big hair rocker right in his kisser.

Iron Dwarf you do know that the Medal of Honor is the Highest medal awarded to any military member?
I mean most people who receive this medal are usually dead…its not the same as a state trooper or surgeon.
Instead of him saluting the President, the President is required to salute a Medal of Honor recipient. This is just not piddly diddly award. I think u need to understand that this man is a God amongst Men, in a T-Nation way. This deserves an exemption.

Nobody needs to convince me of the man’s accomplishments. That’s granted.

And I know the importance of the MOH. I was merely making a case for those who serve the community now without fanfare, expectation, or special privilege.

I didn’t make the stupid Association rules. Redirect your anger to them. I live under ridiculous Association rules myself, so I sympathize with the man. But I signed on fully knowing my limitations. I hang my US flag on a pole mounted between my garage doors. Col. Barfoot could do the same and nobody would think any less of him.

Oh, and Print… if you think Missus Dwarf would be a willing bed partner AFTER you’ve treated her to the gourmet fare of BK Lounge, you got another thing coming.

lol

I have to agree with Iron Dwarf.

I live in a townhouse also, and knew exactly what the rules where when I bought the place.

He signed a contract that he doesn’t want to abide by.

No one forced him to buy the place.