T Nation

This Man Deserves Some Props

Liviu Librescu, 76, was a Holocaust survivor who, his son said, will be remembered as a hero. He “blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee,” Joe Librescu told the AP. “Students started opening windows and jumping out.”

The elder Librescu, a professor at Virginia Tech, was recognized internationally for his research in aeronautical engineering, the head of the Engineering Science and Mechanics Department at Virginia Tech told the AP. He was born and received his advanced degrees in Romania.

That was one of the most moving stories I’ve heard in a long time. Courage and honor practically beyond belief. I don’t think I could have any greater respect for a man than I do for him.

Absolutely agree with you. Gave his life so that others may live. He was a 78 year old man and reacted like many would like to think they would.

RIP.

A brave man. Good way to go to save others. A real life hero.

There were two young students in another room who did the same, but they got lucky and weren’t hit when the bullets came through the door.

I have a feeling that there were more heroic acts than will ever be known.

A brave man indeed.

It’s a beautiful thing.

The second victim, shooter’s dorm floor manager/leader, was another one. From the sounds of it he died attacking the shooter after the first victim was killed.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
The second victim, shooter’s dorm floor manager/leader, was another one. From the sounds of it he died attacking the shooter after the first victim was killed.[/quote]

These are the kinds of stories that need to be told. The news media will put almost all their focus on the shooter – the madman who perpetrated this tragedy. It’s a mistake to give that kind of behaviour that much attention.

Whether they succeeded or whether they failed, those who attempted to save lives and/or stop the shooter deserve to be remembered. To be honoured. Their action, their courage, and their sacrifices shouldn’t go unheard.

I had heard about the student who had barricaded a door with some other students but I hadn’t heard about the professor. That is amazing, his family should be proud.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Liviu Librescu, 76, was a Holocaust survivor who, his son said, will be remembered as a hero. He “blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee,” Joe Librescu told the AP. “Students started opening windows and jumping out.”

The elder Librescu, a professor at Virginia Tech, was recognized internationally for his research in aeronautical engineering, the head of the Engineering Science and Mechanics Department at Virginia Tech told the AP. He was born and received his advanced degrees in Romania.

That was one of the most moving stories I’ve heard in a long time. Courage and honor practically beyond belief. I don’t think I could have any greater respect for a man than I do for him.[/quote]

Absolutely agree… a tear welled up when i read about this story in the paper this morning.

A brave brave man.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Gave his life so that others may live. He was a 78 year old man and reacted like many would like to think they would.

RIP.[/quote]

Exactly.

I’m going to tell as many people about this as I possibly can today.

That is what is missing in this world today. I wish I could shake his hand and the hands of the students who did the same. That’s what a real man stands for.

“Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13)

Can we give out the Medal of Honor posthumously for a non-enlisted man?

He survives the f-ing Holocoust and dies at the hands of a single, solitary loser?

Shit.

I pray for his wife and family.

[quote]IronDude17 wrote:
It’s a beautiful thing.[/quote]

Thats right. Its not a shame - Its a beautiful thing. He had some balls! The guy needs celebrating.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Liviu Librescu, 76, was a Holocaust survivor who, his son said, will be remembered as a hero. He “blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee,” Joe Librescu told the AP. “Students started opening windows and jumping out.”

The elder Librescu, a professor at Virginia Tech, was recognized internationally for his research in aeronautical engineering, the head of the Engineering Science and Mechanics Department at Virginia Tech told the AP. He was born and received his advanced degrees in Romania.

That was one of the most moving stories I’ve heard in a long time. Courage and honor practically beyond belief. I don’t think I could have any greater respect for a man than I do for him.[/quote]

That man has a big fucking pair.

Cheers to you.

He and I do similar research. I was going to see him at a conference next week…He was an interesting character…very flamboyant when he would give talks,etc. The aerospace community will miss him.

I almost shed tears for a second time after I read that. I can only hope that I would be able to do the same thing.

That is the saddest thing I have ever heard…

God bless that man.

My prayers are with his family.