T Nation

This Kid is Too Good at Baseball?

Yeah a 40mph fastball might hurt a 9 year old but its hardly enough to cause any real damage unless it hits someone in the eye.

steroids

Nothing like using sports to teach a kid that when you experience something difficult in your life, the thing to do is quit. Under no circumstances should you try and get better. Way to encourage mediocrity.

Hopefully, everyone in the league received a participation trophy.

This is just stupid, at that level of play they have a pitch count and a strict rest period in between games. The kid should be able to pitch a full game once every 3 games. Granted if his coach was smart though he’d pitch him the first 2-3 innings and then move him somewhere else. There’s also plenty of safety equipment available to batters if they feel his control is too wild.

Our 7-8 year olds operate off of a pitching machine, and we as coaches decided last year that we’d turn it up to a higher setting so when the kids did face a live pitcher the speed wouldn’t be an issue, it would just be pitch selection. We clocked the machine this year at 37 mph and yes some kids struggle getting a hit, but it just means they get a little more BP during practice.

I did find this quote disgusting though:

Heckuva life lesson they’re teaching kids over there now a days.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
Way to encourage mediocrity.
[/quote]

Seriously.

What kind of weak coaches and parents are these?

I remember I was faced with a similar situation in little league. There was a pitcher on an opposing team that threw really fast and everyone had a hard time hitting him. What did our coach do? He made us take extra batting practice against a pitching machine that was faster.

As the pitcher tired, he tended to get wild and would hit batters. Did my coach complain about the pitcher? No, he told us to be alert and keep an eye on the ball.

Did anyone on my team quit? No, we wanted to beat him.

Besides, my Dad would have kicked my ass if I said I wanted to quit because hitting against that guy was too hard.

What’s bad about this is that these kids are going to act just like their parents as they get older. They are going to be shielded from anything aversive, and they won’t know how to deal with anything by the time they are adults. When they have kids, they’ll do the same thing.

I saw this earlier today and couldn’t believe it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7374218/

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
What’s bad about this is that these kids are going to act just like their parents as they get older. They are going to be shielded from anything aversive, and they won’t know how to deal with anything by the time they are adults. When they have kids, they’ll do the same thing.

I saw this earlier today and couldn’t believe it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7374218/

[/quote]

Wait, both of these events happened in Connecticut? Red is too harsh? Looks like I better avoid that state. Or better yet, I’ll go there wearing a bright red shirt and then I’ll pitch little league games.

Heres to the pussification of todays kids… Lets not present them with any challenges because that would just be to absurd… I mean this is nothing like that whole Danny Almonte situation where he was 3 or 4 years older than everyone

Witness the rise of mediocrity as an ideal. What a fucked up world we live in.

Screw this, I am sick of people making out like this is somehow unreasonable. I believe it was on espn.com some moron said “that’s like saying that LeBron shouldn’t have been able to play in hs cuz he was dunking all over people.” No you jackass, people dont have the potential to get injured when they get dunked on.

I am disgusted by people saying “oh, all the other parents are encouraging mediocrity because they dont want their little johnny to face someone better than him” Bull, Jericho’s parents are the ones pussying out. He’s so good? He’s really this good? Then let him play with the 11-12 year olds. Everyone on here is saying what a terrible life lesson this is, that it teaches kids when someone is better than you you just kick him upstairs. Well what would the alternative teach Jericho? That competition level doesnt matter and it’s best to just be a big fish in a little pond?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Screw this, I am sick of people making out like this is somehow unreasonable. I believe it was on espn.com some moron said “that’s like saying that LeBron shouldn’t have been able to play in hs cuz he was dunking all over people.” No you jackass, people dont have the potential to get injured when they get dunked on.

I am disgusted by people saying “oh, all the other parents are encouraging mediocrity because they dont want their little johnny to face someone better than him” Bull, Jericho’s parents are the ones pussying out. He’s so good? He’s really this good? Then let him play with the 11-12 year olds. Everyone on here is saying what a terrible life lesson this is, that it teaches kids when someone is better than you you just kick him upstairs. Well what would the alternative teach Jericho? That competition level doesnt matter and it’s best to just be a big fish in a little pond?[/quote]

I don’t see what the reaction of Jericho’s parents after the fact has to do with the other teams coach throwing a hissy fit and forfeiting the game.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

I am disgusted by people saying “oh, all the other parents are encouraging mediocrity because they dont want their little johnny to face someone better than him” Bull, Jericho’s parents are the ones pussying out. He’s so good? He’s really this good? Then let him play with the 11-12 year olds. Everyone on here is saying what a terrible life lesson this is, that it teaches kids when someone is better than you you just kick him upstairs. Well what would the alternative teach Jericho? That competition level doesnt matter and it’s best to just be a big fish in a little pond?[/quote]

By your logic then, the shitty 11-12 year old kids should play on the 9 year old team because they arent good enough… or better yet lets take away age and put all good kids in one league and all the shitty kids in another league… there problem solved

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

It’s more important for the other 60+ kids in the league to learn that sometimes other people are just better than you, but you still have to try. There is honor in fighting against the odds, and there is courage to be gained from facing your fears head-on. This is an attempt to make life more comfortable for the other kids and parents in the league. As if comfort were something lacking in the US today.

Jericho isn’t learning anything of value, except that he’s so good he scares other kids his age. Moving him into the next age bracket would just reinforce that.

Major points go to the kid’s coach for putting him on the mound after he was told not to. Most people would have just rolled over and listened to the authority, no matter how fucked up it is.

I’m angry now.

Fucking god damnit, bullshit suck balls cocksucker cunt!

Completely irrational but I don’t give a fuck.

I played hockey when I was little in upstate NY. When I was 9, we moved to Virginia. They put me in a hockey league with 13-15 year olds because of my ability compared to the rest of the kids down there. Talk about an awakening! The funny thing was, once I learned to avoid the charging kids (after my first boarding), I was fine. I wasn’t the fastest skater out there, but I was probably the best all around skater.

My point is, the leagues should be based on ability. If he’s too good for the 9-10 year olds, put him in with the 11-12 year olds. It’s not like they don’t have an alternative, like if he was 10 and too good for the 11-12 year olds. What do they do then? He can’t go up to Babe Ruth.

DB

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Jericho isn’t learning anything of value, except that he’s so good he scares other kids his age. Moving him into the next age bracket would just reinforce that.

[/quote]

Wouldn’t he be improving faster playing against kids of comparable ability as opposed to dominating those of lesser talent? Isn’t there value in that? I would think there would be tremendous value in moving him up and challenging him rather than letting him get complacent and bored by dominating the other kids. Maybe he could learn some humility that will serve him well later in life.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Wouldn’t he be improving faster playing against kids of comparable ability as opposed to dominating those of lesser talent? Isn’t there value in that? I would think there would be tremendous value in moving him up and challenging him rather than letting him get complacent and bored by dominating the other kids. Maybe he could learn some humility that will serve him well later in life.

DB[/quote]

I play lacrosse, and when someone is very dominant they move that kid up a level. It doesn’t reinforce that he is better than every one else. It challenges them and pushes them

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
What kind of weak coaches and parents are these?

I remember I was faced with a similar situation in little league. There was a pitcher on an opposing team that threw really fast and everyone had a hard time hitting him. What did our coach do? He made us take extra batting practice against a pitching machine that was faster.

As the pitcher tired, he tended to get wild and would hit batters. Did my coach complain about the pitcher? No, he told us to be alert and keep an eye on the ball.

Did anyone on my team quit? No, we wanted to beat him.

Besides, my Dad would have kicked my ass if I said I wanted to quit because hitting against that guy was too hard.
[/quote]

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I have been telling pretty much this same story to everyone I’ve taked to about the situation.

When did mediocrity become acceptable? I’m sick and tired of seeing parents and others cater to kids, trying to make everyone equal.

Kids aren’t equal! Some kids develop faster than others and excel at things at a higher rate than others. Deal with it.

[quote]ABenns wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

DB

I play lacrosse, and when someone is very dominant they move that kid up a level. It doesn’t reinforce that he is better than every one else. It challenges them and pushes them[/quote]

They do this with high school football, too. If you’re a freshman, but you’re too good for the freshman or JV team, then they’ll put you on the varsity team. It’s pretty common depending on the school or the area.