T Nation

This Kid gets it

Funny how this young one oomprehends fighting whilst MMAer’s double his age struggle with the basic concepts of striking effectively.

Cute kid oh yeh and right fucking attitude.

Yeah, until he turns pro and his head is mush. Constant head trauma is not a good thing for a child.

very sympathetic! i hope he goes far.

what must be a huge bitch though are his bracers. for the upper lips hes got the mouthgard but what about the lower ones? that must wreck havoc on his mouth unless he protects it somehow :open_mouth:

When I see these kind of stories, I always wonder if they’ll keep that love for the sport when they get older. I mean 5 times a week mostly boxing AND kickboxing afterwards? That’s harsh. Maybe that’s what it takes to create a champion, but it will take many more years for him to even get a shot at his dream. In the meanwhile his childhood is passing by and that time never comes back.

I say this because I had this female friend who did atletics 5 times a week. She was very good at it, living the pro life (never going out, eating the right things 7 days a week, etc). Now she has become 24 and she has grown tired of it all.

Or maybe this kid won’t and grow out to be a very good pro.

[quote]humble wrote:
Funny how this young one oomprehends fighting whilst MMAer’s double his age struggle with the basic concepts of striking effectively.

Fucking awesome. Did you see how the kids fought? No fucking fear in their eyes. Compared to the shit I see nowadays in MMA and boxing fights. It’s as if everyone’s scared of getting knocked out. No fucking conviction at all.

I wish him all the best in his future fighting career.

[quote]Dahollow wrote:
When I see these kind of stories, I always wonder if they’ll keep that love for the sport when they get older. I mean 5 times a week mostly boxing AND kickboxing afterwards? That’s harsh. Maybe that’s what it takes to create a champion, but it will take many more years for him to even get a shot at his dream. In the meanwhile his childhood is passing by and that time never comes back.

I say this because I had this female friend who did atletics 5 times a week. She was very good at it, living the pro life (never going out, eating the right things 7 days a week, etc). Now she has become 24 and she has grown tired of it all.

Or maybe this kid won’t and grow out to be a very good pro. [/quote]

I started Martial Arts training at age 6 or 7. By the time I was 19, I was fucking sick of fighting/competing. I wanted a fucking life.

[quote]Kooopa wrote:
very sympathetic! i hope he goes far.

what must be a huge bitch though are his bracers. for the upper lips hes got the mouthgard but what about the lower ones? that must wreck havoc on his mouth unless he protects it somehow :O[/quote]

When I had them I had a special mouthguard with a long lower flap. It was harder to breathe (the center was cut out, but it was like breathing through a straw) but I didn’t have any stoppages for a bleeding mouth.

This is amazing and I have to say that I am jealous of his pure, unadulterated talent and passion. And his coach may be the luckiest boxing coach since Cus D’Amato if Rachet career pans out the way it should. Just wow.

[quote]Pigeonkak wrote:
This is amazing and I have to say that I am jealous of his pure, unadulterated talent and passion. And his coach may be the luckiest boxing coach since Cus D’Amato if Rachet career pans out the way it should. Just wow.[/quote]

Ditto this. Holy crap he is goooood. Balance and poise, great execution on the throws… I can only hope he doesn’t get hurt or bored with it. He talks like a fighter too, not like a kid.

As a side note, this is what it atually takes to be one of the greatest… this is what the TMAs a century ago would require…not mcDojos. I think it’s pretty well known I have a soft spot in my heart for TMAs lol, but this is the kind of discipline that was expected when you wanted to learn once upon a time before industrializing the martial arts “fashion” into black belt factories, and that’s what it takes to be the cliche “old man on the mountaintop” kinda good. Doesn’t matter what sport whether you’re basketball, boxing, or muay thai.

That kid is awesome. I hope he sticks with it.

Wow.
Future champion material?
I hope he’s managed well, and gets plenty of off-time.
And I don’t mean a few weeks a year.

Also: very young fighters growing up in the ring are a bit like lobsters in cooking pot-
They don’t get it that their brain slowly turns to mush.

I am in two minds about kids this age sparring hard like this. A kid who has an enormous amount of emphasis in his training on footwork, and defence, when started at this age and brought on carefully, could actually suffer less damage as a result. Since you can’t generally compete at that age, there is a real opportunity to ingrain defense, footwork and angles into a kid - without the pressures of competition, or needing to look like a tough guy in front of your friends, which is what happens to must of us by the time we are 12 or so.

If taught to be a smart, technical fighter, then I see no harm whatsoever in introducing a kid to fighting at this age. However, if the kid is allowed to get hit much at all at this age, which is easily done as children are often completely fearless and not bothered by getting punched in sparring, then some very negative habits could be formed which fuck the kid as he grows up.

Either way, the kid in the video is undoubtedly able beyond his years. If that isn’t at the expense of his happiness or his development as a person, then good for him, and good for his dad, who must have had some criticism over the years. However, it’s easy to focus on turning a kid into a fighting machine, which covers life up to 30. His relationships, and his ability to adjust to a life outside fighting once he hits 30 also need to be taken into account. And anyone coaching or involved with a kid this age should have an eye on all that, not just what they stand to gain by being along for the ride.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
I am in two minds about kids this age sparring hard like this. A kid who has an enormous amount of emphasis in his training on footwork, and defence, when started at this age and brought on carefully, could actually suffer less damage as a result. Since you can’t generally compete at that age, there is a real opportunity to ingrain defense, footwork and angles into a kid - without the pressures of competition, or needing to look like a tough guy in front of your friends, which is what happens to must of us by the time we are 12 or so.

If taught to be a smart, technical fighter, then I see no harm whatsoever in introducing a kid to fighting at this age. However, if the kid is allowed to get hit much at all at this age, which is easily done as children are often completely fearless and not bothered by getting punched in sparring, then some very negative habits could be formed which fuck the kid as he grows up.

Either way, the kid in the video is undoubtedly able beyond his years. If that isn’t at the expense of his happiness or his development as a person, then good for him, and good for his dad, who must have had some criticism over the years. However, it’s easy to focus on turning a kid into a fighting machine, which covers life up to 30. His relationships, and his ability to adjust to a life outside fighting once he hits 30 also need to be taken into account. And anyone coaching or involved with a kid this age should have an eye on all that, not just what they stand to gain by being along for the ride. [/quote]

Sounds like the tale of Mayweather and Jones. Jones sure didn’t learn how to handle getting hit, or avoiding it. Mayweather seems to know, not to take hits.

That’s a strong Human Being. I believe there is a new age coming and children like these will help usher it. Consistency is key for Mastery to occur. As long as all aspects of life are fulfilled and satisfied and consistency to the Art is maintained, I can easily envision this kid becoming a great champion and Master Martial Artist.

[quote]seph89 wrote:
That’s a strong Human Being. I believe there is a new age coming and children like these will help usher it. Consistency is key for Mastery to occur. As long as all aspects of life are fulfilled and satisfied and consistency to the Art is maintained, I can easily envision this kid becoming a great champion and Master Martial Artist.[/quote]

thumbs up.

The point of the initial post was to highlight his innate trigger. His raw competitive need, an unfiltered survival instinct as you can see him go for it. Something that is simply lacking in many fighters today, especially in MMA.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:

Fucking awesome. Did you see how the kids fought? No fucking fear in their eyes. Compared to the shit I see nowadays in MMA and boxing fights. It’s as if everyone’s scared of getting knocked out. No fucking conviction at all.

I wish him all the best in his future fighting career.
[/quote]

You can apply that to most things in life though. Kids are generally fearless. When i was a kid i was durable as hell and had all the energy in the world, i never looked before i jumped. i had to learn the hard way that doesnt last very long.

And you’d be right to have a healthy fear of combat as you get older, adults are a lot more capable of really hurting people whether its in the ring or (especially) on the street.

[quote]humble wrote:

[quote]seph89 wrote:
That’s a strong Human Being. I believe there is a new age coming and children like these will help usher it. Consistency is key for Mastery to occur. As long as all aspects of life are fulfilled and satisfied and consistency to the Art is maintained, I can easily envision this kid becoming a great champion and Master Martial Artist.[/quote]

thumbs up.

The point of the initial post was to highlight his innate trigger. His raw competitive need, an unfiltered survival instinct as you can see him go for it. Something that is simply lacking in many fighters today, especially in MMA.
[/quote]

He is an impressive kid. Most of what you feel is wrong with MMA fighters today though easily applies to boxers as well.

Theres always gonna be guys that compete because they love the competition and theyre passionate about their sport (couture, wanderlei, anderson, shogun) and then theres gonna be the guys that got involved for the fame/money or because they had a natural talent for it but maybe lack the drive (Penn)

I also agree with other people that this kid is going to be a mess when he is older.