T Nation

This Just In - Supplements Are All Dangerous

I think if this tread of supplement bashing will lead to FDA testing. Thus making everything cost more so I doubt it will happen.

@j13 - it’s funny how things work like that. People over dose on the prescription medication all the time. For instance your example of acetaminophen (Tylenol). Not prescription in this case but anyone can self medicate and potentially harm themselves without proper counseling.

There is a women that comes to the gym and always asks if we have ephedrine in. She buys by two bottles (50 tablets @ 8mg/tab) that last her about 7 days. It’s recommended 1 tablet every six to eight hours. So if you think about it she should only be taking about 3 tablets/24 hours if dosing every eight hours. But 100 tablets/7 days = 14.28 tablets/day OR 14 tablets/day. So that comes out to be 4.67x the recommended amount.

People just do not know how to comply to medicating/supplement recommendations and thus supplements get bad rep for hurting people. The only reason it hurts someone is that they are using to much!

Double the amount doesn’t mean double the results!

As the immortal philosopher and freelance sprinter Forrest Gump(U of Alabama 61-63) said,“stupid is as stupid does” or something to that effect. I shudder to think of how fast ol’Forrest would have been with a hit of Spike and Alpha GPC before each workout.

i hate this type of article, it gives the uninformed a forum to voice their opinion.

“Brian Grasso worries that creatine can be a gateway drug”…

this reminds me of the scene in half baked at narcotics anonymous. “creatines not a drug, you ever suck some dick for creatine?”

“Boo. this. man.”

I HATE Articles like this:

  1. Start off with anecdote from someone who clearly shouldn’t be quoted

  2. State the most popular dietary supplements and ‘concerns’ that ‘could’ be attributed to ‘like compounds’

  3. IMMEDIATELY move into compounds with proven negative effects on health, fail to distinguish

  4. End with people saying things that make them sound concerned, responsible members of society. Oh, and make sure that they are on YOUR side of the argument

And also, this sentence:

“But supplements, which are as easy to buy as aspirin, can pose risks to young athletes, whose developing bodies often are undergoing rapid physical changes”

Made me facepalm because Aspirin can pose risks to young athletes, then when I removed my palm from my face, the fact that they insinuate that protein can creatine (Main subjects) can hinder or damage a growing body made my palm return to my face so fast I slapped myself.

And their only evidence against protein is the blatant distortion of truth that is protein speeds up calcium excretion. Last time I checked all milk-derived protein supplements had ADDED CALCIUM. (24g of protein to 20% DV Calcium is a pretty nice trade off, my casein even has 60% calcium)

Wow.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Wow.[/quote]

What, didn’t you know that whey, egg, and casein combine to form carcinogens that you shouldn’t question exist?

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Wow.[/quote]

What, didn’t you know that whey, egg, and casein combine to form carcinogens that you shouldn’t question exist?[/quote]

Oh my god. So my shake and eggs in the morning have been giving me cancer?!

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Wow.[/quote]

What, didn’t you know that whey, egg, and casein combine to form carcinogens that you shouldn’t question exist?[/quote]

Oh my god. So my shake and eggs in the morning have been giving me cancer?! [/quote]

If it’s an egg based protein shake you’ve got nothing to worry about. If not, then it was nice knowing you.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Wow.[/quote]

What, didn’t you know that whey, egg, and casein combine to form carcinogens that you shouldn’t question exist?[/quote]

Oh my god. So my shake and eggs in the morning have been giving me cancer?! [/quote]

If it’s an egg based protein shake you’ve got nothing to worry about. If not, then it was nice knowing you.[/quote]

Have you been getting bigger? Protein has been linked to muscle cancer, and bulging tumors all over your body while many people mistakenly call muscle.

“…who played soccer and ran cross country”

well there’s your problem

and also…
“Once you start dabbling in ergonomic (performance enhancing) aids, my concern is they become addictive and are not enough,”
Ergonomics? Are these kids supplementing with comfortable goddam office chairs?

[quote]siouxperman wrote:
and also…
“Once you start dabbling in ergonomic (performance enhancing) aids, my concern is they become addictive and are not enough,”
Ergonomics? Are these kids supplementing with comfortable goddam office chairs?
[/quote]

lmao. It would appear that way. It all makes so much more sense now!

Against my better judgment I’m trying to reason with her in the comments section.

God I hate the media.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Wow.[/quote]

What, didn’t you know that whey, egg, and casein combine to form carcinogens that you shouldn’t question exist?[/quote]

Oh my god. So my shake and eggs in the morning have been giving me cancer?! [/quote]

Or worse!! Like, teh ghey!

[quote]elGreatestWeight wrote:
“Brian Grasso worries that creatine can be a gateway drug”…

this reminds me of the scene in half baked at narcotics anonymous. “creatines not a drug, you ever suck some dick for creatine?”

“Boo. this. man.”[/quote]

Ok I’ll boo him.

V

[quote]elGreatestWeight wrote:
“Brian Grasso worries that creatine can be a gateway drug”…

this reminds me of the scene in half baked at narcotics anonymous. “creatines not a drug, you ever suck some dick for creatine?”

“Boo. this. man.”[/quote]

Brian Grasso? this guy is well respected in the fitness industry and I believe the head of a youth training certification program, wow

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
I think if this tread of supplement bashing will lead to FDA testing. Thus making everything cost more so I doubt it will happen.

@j13 - it’s funny how things work like that. People over dose on the prescription medication all the time. For instance your example of acetaminophen (Tylenol). Not prescription in this case but anyone can self medicate and potentially harm themselves without proper counseling.

There is a women that comes to the gym and always asks if we have ephedrine in. She buys by two bottles (50 tablets @ 8mg/tab) that last her about 7 days. It’s recommended 1 tablet every six to eight hours. So if you think about it she should only be taking about 3 tablets/24 hours if dosing every eight hours. But 100 tablets/7 days = 14.28 tablets/day OR 14 tablets/day. So that comes out to be 4.67x the recommended amount.

People just do not know how to comply to medicating/supplement recommendations and thus supplements get bad rep for hurting people. The only reason it hurts someone is that they are using to much!

Double the amount doesn’t mean double the results!
[/quote]

You make a very good point and it helps explain part of the thinking behind these misguided articles–they are thinking ephedra but speaking about protein as if they were both “drugs”. I disagree with the ban on ephedra, but I also think there is more danger with it than with creatine and that the two should be in the same category of “supplement.” Going overboard creatine just increases the amount of time you have to spend on the crapper, but going overboard with ephedra will screw with you in worse ways.

Oops. I meant to say that ephedra and creatine should NOT both be lumped together in the same broad category called “supplements.” The problem with the “supplement” category is that it is too broad–it covers too many things (good and bad).