This Just In - Supplements Are All Dangerous

I couldn’t believe this when I read it. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that some “experts” actually believe supplements such as protein are dangerous. The article focuses on teens, but much of the material cited to support the proposition is not limited to teens. People out there think all supplements are dangerous, even vitamins. I just don’t get it. My world is shattered.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2009/12/teens-and-dietary-supplements-an-unhealthy-mix.html#more

I just sadly shake my head when I read most nutrition/health articles in mainstream media.

S

Aren’t misinformed scare tactics great!

My mom works for Chicago Tribune. On behalf of T-Nation I’m gonna throw the newspaper in her face when she comes home from work.

Just kidding, my mom’s a loving person and I would never do such a thing.

On a serious note: let em say whatever the fuck they want. Everyone wanna be a bodybuilder, but don’t nobody wanna take no protein supplements. I’ll keep getting bigger while they suck ass.

Roger Rees might as well have said the following and sounded no more absurd than he did:

“[Food is] actually more of a potential problem in our society than steroids,” said C. Roger Rees, a professor of human performance sciences at Adelphi University who specializes in social issues and high school sports. “Kids see [food] as safe and they [can get it anywhere]. I’d be concerned about large use if I was a parent.”

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
My mom works for Chicago Tribune. On behalf of T-Nation I’m gonna throw the newspaper in her face when she comes home from walk.

Just kidding, my mom’s a loving person and I would never do such a thing.

On a serious note: let em say whatever the fuck they want. Everyone wanna be a bodybuilder, but don’t nobody wanna take no protein supplements. I’ll keep getting bigger while they suck ass.[/quote]

Problem is, too much of this nonsense will lead to a ban on creatine, protein and eventually red meat!

But they cant ban Mexico

The best part was in the end: “He was taking…and 60 to 80 fluid ounce of water.” HAAHAHHAHA

Oh no! Don’t give them any ideas…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
But they cant ban Mexico[/quote]

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
My mom works for Chicago Tribune. On behalf of T-Nation I’m gonna throw the newspaper in her face when she comes home from work.
[/quote]

I think this type of journalism is driven more by “what headline will sell papers” than “let’s be sure our readers are well-informed.” I’m sure your mom has nothing to do with what articles they run, so I wouldn’t blame her either.

Wow. So now supplements are “Gateway drugs” to steroid usage? Unbelievable.

They’ll take my protein from my cold dead hands.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
[/quote]

Maybe it’s time for us to rise up and demand adoption of the 28th Amendment–The right to supplement our diets with whatever the hell we want.

It sounds like when I’d try to explain to my parents about creatine or protein powder.

“Sean, is that stuff going to make you angry and put your fist through a wall?”
“Yes ma, but it won’t be because of the creatine!”

This is how they got rid of ephedrine. “Oh no! Some idiots took three times the amount of ephedrine and died!, quick, lets ban it because ephedrine is bad!!!” These idiots never seem to realize that when taken properly nothing happens, but taking way too much can lead to severe side effects.

The best part is, if you look into it, overdose of tylenol kills like 1200 people a year. But they say those people ‘overdosed’, they dont say they ‘used’ tylenol. But when it comes to supplements and someone dies from taking three times the amount, they died because they ‘used’ it. What a f’n joke.

“And if a supplement appears to work, it likely has other “stuff” in it”

Wow, like what, Gamma Rays???

upside to this is if it scares off a few people the demand of the products will go down and be cheaper for us

Anyone else notice that one of their “experts” is a 19 year old who used supplements in high school.

[quote]davidcox1 wrote:
I couldn’t believe this when I read it. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that some “experts” actually believe supplements such as protein are dangerous. The article focuses on teens, but much of the material cited to support the proposition is not limited to teens. People out there think all supplements are dangerous, even vitamins. I just don’t get it. My world is shattered.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2009/12/teens-and-dietary-supplements-an-unhealthy-mix.html#more [/quote]

Doesn’t that sound a lot like that looney tune conspiracy theory some guy posted here a few months ago about UN researchers/lobbyist trying to convince the W.H.O. that vitamins were toxins and that all supplements should be banned…sure as hell would be good business for big pharma.

[quote]davidcox1 wrote:

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
[/quote]

Maybe it’s time for us to rise up and demand adoption of the 28th Amendment–The right to supplement our diets with whatever the hell we want.[/quote]

Yeah, let’s hear you make some noise about it down south and pave the way for the other countries. Fortunatly for us in Canada, there doesn’t seem to be as many political crusaders trying to make names for themselves by protecting the public from the evils of protein supplements and vitamin C.