T Nation

This Just In: Steroidal Spinach

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg19826554.400-why-popeye-may-have-been-right-about-spinach.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=specrt10_head_Eats%20ya%20greens!

Here we have an article talking about some unusual and ironic effects of spinach on muscle building, with an inevitable Popeye reference:

[i]SOME may scoff at the notion that spinach - despite containing nutrients - builds muscles, but Popeye may have been on to something. A steroid found in leafy greens ramps up protein synthesis in muscles.

A team led by Ilya Raskin of Rutgers University in New Jersey extracted phytoecdysteroids from spinach. When they placed the liquid extract on samples of cultured human muscle, it sped up growth by 20 per cent. Rats were also slightly stronger after a month of injections of the extract (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, DOI: 10.1021/jf073059z). Unfortunately, you would need to eat more than a kilogram of spinach every day to gain equivalent amounts of the steroid.[/i]

The article is pretty lame, but I’m sure some will find this at least of passing interest.

a kg a day?

Ha! Been there, done that.

A kilo of spinach is kind of crazy. I like raw spinach, but I can’t see eating that much without a juicer, and I think juiced spinach would induce vomiting in most people.

Time to go to the lab and experiment!

you’d have to eat one of those medium sized bags A DAY…that’s asinine.

Once you cook it down its really not that much.

[quote]Dubbz wrote:
Once you cook it down its really not that much.[/quote]

Exactly, and with a little olive oil its delicious. I could probably eat 2.2 kg raw, cooked down, at one sitting.

Good find. Now the great debate: spinach for protein synthesis, or broccoli for anti-estrogen? I doubt most people have the stomach for two pounds of BOTH each day. Maybe you could cycle it haha, spinach on-cycle, broccoli for PCT? Just goes to show you the awesome anabolic power of food.

-Sab

would there be any harm to eating over lb of spinach a day? Never really ate spinach, I usually eat broccoli and green beans for my greens.

Good find - this is the first time I’ve heard of phytoecdysteroids! You’ve got to think that less than a kg/day would have some results.

Get the frozen stuff and stick it in a shake with Metabolic Drive, frozen berries and coconut milk. Awesome.

You’d be shitting green liquid after a couple days of all that spinache. Won’t have to worry about being constipated.

[quote]supabeast wrote:
A kilo of spinach is kind of crazy. I like raw spinach, but I can’t see eating that much without a juicer, and I think juiced spinach would induce vomiting in most people.[/quote]

Which makes for a killer ab workout.

DJ

Now Olympic athletes have an excuse if they find steroids in their blood.

boil it, mash it, stick in a stew…

blend the frozen stuff into shakes…

put it into omelets…

make the black bean spinach sautee from Gourmet Nutrition.

seems easy to get that much spinach in a day.

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:
Good find. Now the great debate: spinach for protein synthesis, or broccoli for anti-estrogen? I doubt most people have the stomach for two pounds of BOTH each day. Maybe you could cycle it haha, spinach on-cycle, broccoli for PCT? Just goes to show you the awesome anabolic power of food.

-Sab[/quote]

I am going to buy as much as I can before the feds make it illegal.

[quote]BlakeAJackson wrote:

I am going to buy as much as I can before the feds make it illegal.[/quote]

That is exactly what i was thinking…

Wouldn’t be that hard while cutting. I am hungry all the time.

i gorge down about 30 of these in a sitting in the off season. MMMM

more lebanese food

dident popeye eat or drink some sort of canned spinache…

even if this were to be true, im sure the FDA would be all over it and ready to ban it; of course not before it got on CNN.