This is Why I Stand

The action and the reason for the action came out simultaneously. It does not require you to agree with said individual, it pissed him off and he tuned out as did a lot of vets.

I didn’t say that was the reason people are upset, I was adding the fact that the code of conduct has included in it code informing players on how to behave during the National Anthem and that the player freely signed the contract with that language in it. Its only relevant to the fact that players signed their name to that contract with that language in it.

I think you missed the point I was making… As a matter of fact I said they are not the same. That was the point.

Don’t look now, but you just used context to make a point. My point is that people need to start counting their blessing before they count their problems. In most cases, people will find that they are far more blessed than cursed. If all you look for is bad, you will find it, there is no shortage of misery in the world. That’s what I am saying.

This was in reference to only Kaepernick’s case specifically and why he isn’t getting signed; not all kneeling players.

Which I get. I’m just personally less inclined to support someone’s position when they’ve arrived there by intentionally not gathering information first.

I get your point. I was asking, because for you to even need to make a point, someone isn’t getting it, right? Who was this point geared towards? Who needs to understand it that currently doesn’t?

Who says they aren’t? Is there a large chunk of people out there preaching that America is as bad as Soviet Russia that need to be reminded to count their blessings?

In your example of the vet, it was the ENTIRE reason he was upset. The kneeling. He didn’t even do any digging to find out WHY he was kneeling.

God damn. This is a legit burn. Shit.

Although does the saying still stand?

“There are two types of countries in the world, those that use the metric system, and those that have walked on the moon.”

(China and the USSR have landed, but did they walk it?)

Wow, I’ve never heard until now of the Myanmarian and Liberian space programs :wink:

No, they didn’t walk. Arguably, the Soviets could have landed somewhere around 1970-71 based on Sergei Korolev’s master plan, but cancelled all moon landing missions after Apollo 11 landed, focusing instead on other less glamorous “firsts” that remained - first unmanned landing on Venus, longest space walk etc.

1 Like

And first successful conquest of Afghanistan. Or at least profit from it.

I’m afraid not. Ismail the First, founder of the Iranian Safavid dynasty conquered what is today Afghanistan in the late 15th/early 16th century.

Massacred thousands upon thousands Pashtuns, all while composing poetry under his pen name.

But did that conquest turn a profit? Plenty have “conquered” Afghanistan but no one has made money from it.

Honestly. I don’t know. I do know that Iranians fought many pitched battles against Mughals over Kandahar so I presume it wasn’t over goats.

It’s just rocks.

I thought Afghanistan was the place where empires go to die…

I’m an engineer and deal with pipe and fittings and whatnot from around the world. The mixing of metric and Imperial units is occasionally a pain in the ass, and when I was a young engineer, I was gung-ho metric.

But I have since learned that Imperial Units shine for certain really practical things – notably when dividing things things by 1/3, 1/4, 1/8. It’s a common occurrence in actually designing and building something.

Time is 12/24 hours for this same reason.

1 Like

No, it’s mainly a place where empires go to fight proxy wars. Except in this case, where we are fighting the Taliban who may be a proxy for Iran. I don’t know who is supporting them, but they are getting support.

Sounds similar to me, but the best measuring tape I’ve used has inches divided into tenths so it is easy to say 1.2 inches, or it can break it down 1/4, 1/8… as normal.

When I worked overseas for oil companies it was all mixed up. They would have imperial for specific things (pipe size, OD/ID) but metric for distances, and then ft/sec for velocity of flow.

Duh, Iranians hate the Taliban (and other sunnis, and Taliban are sunni as they come) and do their best to exterminate them - see Ismail I and his relationship with the Pashtuns. The Taliban are supported by Pakistan, notably their intelligence agency ISI.

1 Like

Well, I am not trying to get you to support any position here. This is merely informative. That here is a group of individuals that decided early on to boycott the NFL and why they choose to. It requires nothing from you save to acknowledge that their opinions are as valid as anyone else’s.

Any one who does not understand context matters.
A story of two men, both of which kill another man. Man-1 kills a man during the robbery of a store. Man-2 is a soldier in a war where the enemy is trying to kill him and his friends and he takes out the threat from a sniper’s nest. Both committed the same act, killing some one. But the former is unjustified and warrants prosecution under the law, the other is a hero who saved his friends lives. Context matters.

I large chunk? I’d say no, most people are not protesting grievance. Whether Americans in general spend much time counting their blessing I don’t know, doesn’t seem like it, but I don’t have evidence, just what I see. Further, the very general and varying messaging of protesters in general, seem to lack a specific purpose or issue. Which means it’s probably based on emotion not fact. There is nothing indicating a path forward that would resolve issues bringing protests to an end, so that one would not have to protest anymore. The messaging is clear as mud. And if you left your house, in your car to get to a location you desire, unfettered, to protest a perceived injustice, you probably also forgot to count your blessings on the way.

He knew the reason, he didn’t care for the tactic. But this again is only informative. I am not trying to sway you to his side. I still watch, I just skip the first part if I can because I am sick of hearing about it. And now it’s about a million things not one, so that no correction in the U.S. could satisfy the protest. There is no clear path forward because the messaging got muddled.

Fair enough, I would concede that you know more about this area than I do. I figured they are sponsored by somebody. And the fact that much of their weaponry tends to be Russian, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Russians tossed them some overstock.

The pics from Venus are fascinating. The fact that they were able to take any pictures on the surface of a 900 degree planet is a testament to the build quality of that craft. It lasted 15 minutes, but it got off some shots. Venus is Earth’s twin, and it’s weirder they you can imagine.

1 Like

Nope. Russians were backing Tajiks in the north of the country.

But again, who? Is this just an arbitrary PSA? Who doesn’t understand that context matters that you’re directing this towards?

Before your “context matters” was directed at comparing people in this country and other countries (apples and oranges). Now it’s directed at 2 people in the same atmosphere with different events (apples and apples).

I would again ask who is ignoring that worse things happen elsewhere and is saying the worst is happening here. Who are you educating with your “context matters” statements.

Which is it? He knew the reason or he didnt?

Agreed.

Originally it was you when you claimed it didn’t. But sure it can be a PSA.

I answered this already, he didn’t care for the stunt. Which is merely informative. I am not trying to sway you to his position as he didn’t sway me to his position. All I am saying is the viewership drop is a real phenomenon and here is an example as to why.