This is Why I Stand

Other then playing in band on memorial day or my grandfathers funeral, I don’t believe I have heard to honor the military.

You know the thread has gone full retard when people start claiming that they’ve never heard an announcer state that the National Anthem was being sung to honor the military.

I mean, wow.

1 Like

That’s what I thought too. I always considered it “common knowledge”.

I was taught that in early public elementary school. We also learned how to raise, lower and fold the flag. We all had to do it. This was in the mid-80’s.

Have things changed that much?

1 Like

Glad I wasn’t the only one. Shsss, thought I was losing my mind for a second…

Someone should tell the NHL they are announcing it wrong then 9 minutes in.

1 Like

To honor the United States of America, Lakers getting it wrong too.

1 Like

O shit even at the republican debates no mention of standing for the military.

1 Like

You haven’t been paying attention on social media lately. You’re entitled to your own opinion, but in this case it’s apparently completely wrong regardless of how you say you feel. You don’t get to decide what the anthem and flag mean to you in 'Murica.

This wasn’t being taught as of the early/mid 90s, and isn’t being taught as of today in all the areas I’m able to quickly ask about.

2 Likes

@oldstyle00 I’ve been to a LOT of Indiana high school basketball games, and they would usually get announced like this.

Do you think most people are oblivious about what they’re supposed to do during the national anthem, relying only on what the announcer says or doesn’t say?

It’s not absolute poverty per se, but inequality. Haves and have-nots sharing the same physical space, such as a city or even a neighborhood.

Actually makes sense from a layman’s standpoint - if you’re relatively poor and uneducated (and poor in the US means rich in absolute terms) and you see for you unattainable levels of wealth dangled in front of your eyes every day, chances are you’ll resort to crime to bridge the gap. And single parent households to the mix…

It’s not an AA thing, Russia experienced a massive surge of violence in the 1990s coupled with a massive spike in inequality…

Oh shit, Youtube videos, case closed.

I did not say people were oblivious but I am saying the National Anthem and American Flag are not about the military they are about America as a whole and whatever connotation you want to add to those symbols. The discussion was about whether the announcer was saying stand to honor the military or not. Clearly they are saying stand and honor AMERICA.

1 Like

Never said case closed, but to say people are going full retard because they don’t hear stand and honor the military, when that clearly is not the case.

3 Likes

If the flag and national anthem were a direct representation of the military they would be saying stand for the military every time. The problem is they aren’t they are a representation of the United States as a whole.

1 Like

@anon50325502 I haven’t been on here in a while, but quite honestly your the last person I thought that would be against these protests since your so in favor of the constitution. I have heard you talk a lot about the 2nd amendment on here and even the 1st and this protest clearly falls in the 1st amendment. No disrespect to you just thought you would be more in line of disagreeing, but understanding of their right to do so.

Has usmc argued against the right to protest?

I don’t know never read through any of the kapernick thread on here. Not looking to start a stupid argument either just know his views on the importance of the constitution. calm down nick

I largely agree with you, and definitely agree with where you’re coming from. I am of conflicting Minds on this though for a couple of reasons… First I do really agree that many people are drawing attention to themselves rather than to the cause that they want to Champion and that is a huge problem because it means that we’re not actually talking about the problem we’re talking about the person.

However, I also think that people would have said the same thing you just did about Martin Luther King in the sit-ins or many of the peaceful civil rights protests of the past. That they didn’t happen during the Anthem is not necessarily the point… The same kinds of things would be said about the people 50 or 60 years ago. So in some sense it’s problematic because you’re never going to have a protest without pissing somebody off. Now I don’t think that means that you should draw attention to yourself rather than to the issue, but I have to confess that some people are always going to take it that way.

There’s no such thing as 100% agreement. This is due in large part to the fact that there is no way to draw attention to an unresolved or uncomfortable problem without creating conflict (or drawing a certain amount of attention to oneself in the process). Gregg Popavich (a graduate of the Naval Academy) commented this past weekend that being uncomfortable is necessary in order to spur discussion of any problem issue.

I don’t like kneeling during the anthem. But I also have to concede that there’s no such thing as conflict-free problems.

In my view, this is the ultimate test of free speech because it offends the people that sacrificed the most in assuring a free and open society. I don’t like it, but I believe they are free to do it no matter who it offends and they should not be chastised for bullied into changing their actions. The people that are offended have the right to bear witness explaining what the anthem and the flag means to them, but no right to force those views on the offender.

Nope, he hasn’t…