T Nation

This is Too Much

So I’m watching a little ESPN this morning, and I saw something that made me want to puke.

There is the talking head on Sportscenter interviewing some ditz from OK! magazine about the Tony Parker - Eva Longoria wedding.

This putz is asking her shit like, "hat is the reception like? What is the bride wearing? You know…the same crap that they talk about on E!.

IT’S A FUCKING WEDDING!!!

Since when does that make it worth 4 minutes on ESPN?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
So I’m watching a little ESPN this morning, and I saw something that made me want to puke.

There is the talking head on Sportscenter interviewing some ditz from OK! magazine about the Tony Parker - Eva Longoria wedding.

This putz is asking her shit like, "hat is the reception like? What is the bride wearing? You know…the same crap that they talk about on E!.

IT’S A FUCKING WEDDING!!!

Since when does that make it worth 4 minutes on ESPN? [/quote]

Since they decided Sportscenter is nothing more than Entertainment Tonight for men with sports stars gossip instead of movie stars…

I mean how many decent anaylsts are there anymore? Very very few.

it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday.

[quote]sob440 wrote:
it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday. [/quote]

But we can’t get a national powerlifting meet on TV …

[quote]sob440 wrote:
it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday. [/quote]

I don’t see anything wrong with any of those being shown on ESPN.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
sob440 wrote:
it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday.

I don’t see anything wrong with any of those being shown on ESPN.[/quote]

Are you being sarcastic? Do you believe poker is a sport?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
sob440 wrote:
it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday.

I don’t see anything wrong with any of those being shown on ESPN.[/quote]

I have a problem with showing The National Domino Playa’s Ball yet removing any and everything that had to do with bodybuilding. If the most mundane activities are now sports, why exclude any especially when there used to be some coverage of contests?

The first time I saw an Olympia contest was in high school on ESPN.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Do you believe poker is a sport?[/quote]

Yes.

But then again… so is bridge.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
malonetd wrote:
sob440 wrote:
it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday.

I don’t see anything wrong with any of those being shown on ESPN.

Are you being sarcastic? Do you believe poker is a sport?[/quote]

Poker is a sport.

And it draws a lot of viewers.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
malonetd wrote:
sob440 wrote:
it became acceptable when espn decided to devote weeks of air time to card playing, hours to eating, and I just saw the heading the other day that the National Rock paper scissor Championship will be shown this Saturday.

I don’t see anything wrong with any of those being shown on ESPN.

I have a problem with showing The National Domino Playa’s Ball yet removing any and everything that had to do with bodybuilding. If the most mundane activities are now sports, why exclude any especially when there used to be some coverage of contests?

The first time I saw an Olympia contest was in high school on ESPN.[/quote]

They used to show competitions. I no longer have cable – do they no longer show any bodybuilding?

I think my irritation is that the sportscaster was asking this bimbo from a chick rag about how people were dressed, what the guest list looked like and questions like that.

We could argue all day about what constitutes sport - but there really needs to be some man-laws we can actually enforce.

Rule #1: Weddings are for chicks. It this were not so, God would not have created the Tux Rental Shoppe.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Rule #1: Weddings are for chicks. It this were not so, God would not have created the Tux Rental Shoppe.[/quote]

Regardless of what is or isn’t a sport, I completely agree with this.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Poker is a sport.

And it draws a lot of viewers.
[/quote]

Poker is a card game.

And it draws a lot of viewers.

If poker is to be considered a sport then why not Crazy 8’s, or Asshole…Hey I have it Skat is played for money…I can see it now

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Professor X wrote:
malonetd wrote:
sob440 wrote:

They used to show competitions. I no longer have cable – do they no longer show any bodybuilding?[/quote]

No, they don’t show bodybuilding. The only thing they show that’s related to bodybuilding is World’s Strongest Man competitions.

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
If poker is to be considered a sport then why not Crazy 8’s, or Asshole…Hey I have it Skat is played for money…I can see it now[/quote]

Look up the definition of sport. They’re all sports. But that doesn’t mean they will draw enough viewers to make it worthwhile for ESPN to spend money to air.

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
If poker is to be considered a sport then why not Crazy 8’s, or Asshole…Hey I have it Skat is played for money…I can see it now[/quote]

I was watching Poker on ESPN last year, and they had a segment where poker players debated whether poker is a sport or not.

Essentially, all the pro poker players said it is a sport, and all the amateurs said it was just a game, because essentially, they are not doing any physical activity.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Professor X wrote:
malonetd wrote:
sob440 wrote:

They used to show competitions. I no longer have cable – do they no longer show any bodybuilding?

No, they don’t show bodybuilding. The only thing they show that’s related to bodybuilding is World’s Strongest Man competitions.[/quote]

…and even that isn’t done as well as it could be. There used to be regular programs on about bodybuilding. American Muscle Magazine was the last to go, I think. If how many hot dogs someone can shove down their throat is now getting world wide coverage, it becomes pretty obvious what has become blacklisted.

I concur, RJ. Let ET cover the wedding.

As for “non-sports” getting aired on ESPN - never forget that the other networks have the contractual rights to show the games of all the mainstream sports. ESPN gets to pick over some leftovers, but they have to find other stuff to fill the time.

And I don’t find poker to be much of a sport - but apparently, tons of people love to watch it.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I concur, RJ. Let ET cover the wedding.

As for “non-sports” getting aired on ESPN - never forget that the other networks have the contractual rights to show the games of all the mainstream sports. ESPN gets to pick over some leftovers, but they have to find other stuff to fill the time.

And I don’t find poker to be much of a sport - but apparently, tons of people love to watch it.[/quote]

I still find it annoying that ESPN chooses to show those crap games and contests instead of other ‘real’ sports.

Powerlifting/O-lifting?
Lax?
Track and Field?
Wrestling?

No, instead we get poker, hotdogs, spelling bees, and dominoes.

Boo on ESPN!