This is Not Another Music Thread

Only time I listen to music anymore is when I lift, and my Ipod is on one of those portable players in my garage. I only listen to sirius 124 NFL channel in my truck.

Cant lift without music.

I’m curious. Do you guys think that a particular type of music lends itself to better “performance”? Or is it more important to just listen to whatever it is that you like? For instance, I like to listen to RATM and NIN a lot when I lift, but I don’t like to listen to it all the time. So sometimes I listen to stuff like Steely Dan or James Brown simply because I like that type of music as well and if I listen to a lot of faster, harder-sounding shit, I end up listening to the same few bands over and over again, since my tastes generally lean away from that sort of music. Is there any value in listening to a specific type of music even when you don’t really want to hear it again? Can music tempo and genre really affect a workout that much?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I’m curious. Do you guys think that a particular type of music lends itself to better “performance”? Or is it more important to just listen to whatever it is that you like? For instance, I like to listen to RATM and NIN a lot when I lift, but I don’t like to listen to it all the time. So sometimes I listen to stuff like Steely Dan or James Brown simply because I like that type of music as well and if I listen to a lot of faster, harder-sounding shit, I end up listening to the same few bands over and over again, since my tastes generally lean away from that sort of music. Is there any value in listening to a specific type of music even when you don’t really want to hear it again? Can music tempo and genre really affect a workout that much? [/quote]

Yes

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I’m curious. Do you guys think that a particular type of music lends itself to better “performance”? Or is it more important to just listen to whatever it is that you like? For instance, I like to listen to RATM and NIN a lot when I lift, but I don’t like to listen to it all the time. So sometimes I listen to stuff like Steely Dan or James Brown simply because I like that type of music as well and if I listen to a lot of faster, harder-sounding shit, I end up listening to the same few bands over and over again, since my tastes generally lean away from that sort of music. Is there any value in listening to a specific type of music even when you don’t really want to hear it again? Can music tempo and genre really affect a workout that much? [/quote]

Yes[/quote]

This is an extreme example, but do you mean that if someone who hates heavy metal or techno or anything “uptempo” like that would be better to listen to it anyways while they work out, even if they prefer something slower like the blues or even classical music?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Yes[/quote]

This is an extreme example, but do you mean that if someone who hates heavy metal or techno or anything “uptempo” like that would be better to listen to it anyways while they work out, even if they prefer something slower like the blues or even classical music?[/quote]

Yes

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Yes[/quote]

This is an extreme example, but do you mean that if someone who hates heavy metal or techno or anything “uptempo” like that would be better to listen to it anyways while they work out, even if they prefer something slower like the blues or even classical music?[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

Ahh. I see what’s going on here.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Yes[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

Ahh. I see what’s going on here.[/quote]

Love you man, just messing with you. You have been on a long winded streak today. :slight_smile:

Music to me is an emotional outlet, I listen to what the emotion dictates at the time. I cant lift fucking heavy listening to Barry White, just like I cant do the wife listening to KORN. I know some people can screw to anything but I dont hate my wife.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Yes[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

Love you man, just messing with you. You have been on a long winded streak today. :slight_smile:

Music to me is an emotional outlet, I listen to what the emotion dictates at the time. I cant lift fucking heavy listening to Barry White, just like I cant do the wife listening to KORN. I know some people can screw to anything but I dont hate my wife. [/quote]

Lol! You’re right, I have been a little long-winded today. Yesterday too. I’ve had a raging case of the flu since about 5pm yesterday, so I’ve just been chillin’ at home watching the rain come down and watching old Hitchcock movies.

By the way, Korn is not the best fucking music, but you know what is good fucking music? Downward Spiral by NIN. The whole fucking album. Oh yeah, and Led Zeppelin IV, side two.

this music ftw while lifting

I LIKE BIG TITTIES! BIG TITTIES! REAL GOOD!

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Yes[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

Music to me is an emotional outlet, I listen to what the emotion dictates at the time. I cant lift fucking heavy listening to Barry White, just like I cant do the wife listening to KORN. I know some people can screw to anything but I dont hate my wife. [/quote]

Lol! You’re right, I have been a little long-winded today. Yesterday too. I’ve had a raging case of the flu since about 5pm yesterday, so I’ve just been chillin’ at home watching the rain come down and watching old Hitchcock movies.

By the way, Korn is not the best fucking music, but you know what is good fucking music? Downward Spiral by NIN. The whole fucking album. Oh yeah, and Led Zeppelin IV, side two.[/quote]

See NIN Downward Spiral is on my IPod when I lift. The wife likes NIN so that is a possibility.

I listen to music, except when I’m doing 1RMs. I don’t want to rely on music to block out distractions when I’m at a meet.

Yes I listen to music because I like it, and the headphones help keep conversation to a minimum.

As to type of music, it usually varies. I feel like I gravitate towards Rage and other harder rock when I’m training legs or any other mentally strenous lift. If I am training an explosive power movement, I like hip hop/rap. Something about the beat seems to help. I don’t have a playlist for every exercise or anything, I just feel like this is what I usually end up doing.

[quote]-LL- wrote:
Yes I listen to music because I like it, and the headphones help keep conversation to a minimum.

As to type of music, it usually varies. I feel like I gravitate towards Rage and other harder rock when I’m training legs or any other mentally strenous lift. If I am training an explosive power movement, I like hip hop/rap. Something about the beat seems to help. I don’t have a playlist for every exercise or anything, I just feel like this is what I usually end up doing.

[/quote]

oh yeah good point the other reason I <3 my headphones.
In fact the time that my Mp3 had no power I put the earphones in anyways in an effort to keep conversational attempts to a minimum.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:

[/quote]

In fact the time that my Mp3 had no power I put the earphones in anyways in an effort to keep conversational attempts to a minimum.
[/quote]

What an ice-cold bitch! I like ice-cold bitches…as long as they’re still breathing.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

What an ice-cold bitch! I like ice-cold bitches…as long as they’re still breathing.[/quote]

Who me cold?
I showed you my boob and errrything!
well sort of.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

What an ice-cold bitch! I like ice-cold bitches…as long as they’re still breathing.[/quote]

Who me cold?
well sort of.[/quote]

That was awesome by the way. What was that poking out between your fingers? Your piercing?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]-LL- wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who me cold?
well sort of.[/quote]

That was awesome by the way. What was that poking out between your fingers? Your piercing?[/quote]

yes.

and you’re right, I’m an ice cold bitch.
(I can’t help it! I’m Sicilian.)

I require Music to lift. I can’t listen to stupid people talking over shitty Katy Perry/Lady Gaga/other top 40 crap and still keep my intensity up.