This is My First Post .... Need Advice Asap!!!

[quote]KSman wrote:
Sadly, most need to study these issues and end up knowing more than most docs to become motivated to find a doc who does things right or is open to learning something new. If that fails, it is easy for someone to self medicate and do things better than 99% of the doctors. So do they then self medicate for some components of their TRT needs or simply do nothing and suffer so Brick does not need to cringe. There is nothing difficult about getting your own lab work as needed [for many] and understanding how to make dose changes to achieve target levels.

So Brick, pre TRT your LH/FSH was tanked and now that you are on TRT, your LH is OK and you do not need hCG? What are your LH/FSH numbers now?[/quote]

I’m going to the doc on November 10th. I’ll get back to you with them.

Usually my LH and FSH values are low normal.

Well I am going to another doc to try and get arimidex tomorrow.
I have been chatting with a seeming knowlegeable doc and he is telling me to try Chrysin at 500 mg 2x’s per day to lower my estradiol… Will this work? He said if I try arimidex to do a blood test to make sure I do not have a genetic predisposition to clotting. He seems very worried about the clotting side effects of this drug. He said to drive your estradiol levels down to 15(as low as u can go in the normal range but no lower) What do you think of this advice… I have been hearing around 22 is optimal.
Looking forward to your replies.

Please someone reply… I was hoping KSMAN would … I sent him a pm

Blood clotting and lipid profile problems are more associated with very low E2 levels, not the drug anastrozole that creates the low E2 levels. Data comes mostly from women where the intent is to get E2 close to zero. For males on TRT, the target of E2=22pg/ml will not create any of the problems associated with very low E2 levels. Body builders who push E2 down into single digits are known to get lipid problems and joint pain.

Most info regarding anastrozole and blood clotting involves statements of concern where preexisting blood clotting conditions exist. Statements are made that anastrozole does not cause clotting and that nolvadex does. So nothing really conclusive. You will be taking 1.0 to 1.5mg/week compared to women taking 1.0 per day. Your doc seems to not be able to separate concerns from female cancer context to male HRT.

Note that any stats driving statements about anastrozole for females must also be kept in the context that these women often are also exposed to major surgeries, radiation treatment and chemotherapy that can cause clotting and other large disturbances to multiple functional systems in the body. You will not get anastrozole for women who are otherwise normal and healthy.

Some of these women would have been using oral birth control pills that displace progesterone with progestins, eliminating the cardio protective effects or progesterone, which does lead to blood clots, strokes and heart attacks for a few. If these women then get cancer and are treated with anastrozole, you cannot state that anastrozole was solely responsible for any clotting events that might occur.

Chrysin is poorly absorbed and expensive. Also does not work very well most of the time.

Thanks for all this info… I will show this to my doctor and we will see what happens…

[quote]PureChance wrote:
and yes, I am exaggerating.
[/quote]

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
You are exaggerating.
[/quote]

:slight_smile:

Brick - you have had experiences with bad doctors - just like 99% of the people here.

What about those who never find a good doctor or can’t afford to travel to see you doctor? Their only options are to (1) self-educate and try to lead their less than knowledgeable doctor, (2) just suffer through the rest of their life feeling like crap with no energy, etc. or (3) self educate and self treat. Or am I missing an option?

Fair post!

I just think it’s sad that people have to resort to self medication. That’s what really gets me more than anything–too many incompetent docs out there and too few docs who specialize in the male reproductive system. It really is a shame. And believe me, I suffered greatly with untreated hypogonadism. I walked around for a year and half not feeling like myself; that’s very depressing; not only is depression a symptom of hypogonadism, on top of it all is that it’s depressing that your quality time (read: life) is being taken away from you. I had suicidal ideation and was completely impotent and actually took off from serious exercise for over a year because I couldn’t recover adequately.

Well, good news… I have scheduled appts. with Urologists, endocrinologists and since they rescheduled my Urology appt. till almost a month from now… the endo appts are all in about 3 wks… and since I have the knowledge that most of them are not educated in this and there is no guarantee any of them would prescribe arimidex…

I went back to my pcp , armed with my newest info on what blood tests to run to check if I am clot prone or not, the info on why it is nolvadex and not arimidex that is the primary clotting problem ( and even nolvadex, it is less than 1% of the women that had this problem) and since he is a very ageeable and enthusiastic pcp agreed to the blood work and he will look into the matter more and give me his decision in a week ( we discussed why he is not likely to find this info in mainstream physician sites like Mayo Clinic or the New England Journal) So I’ve got my hopes up to getting my arimidex!