T Nation

This is Jason Khalipa, Founder of NCFIT, CrossFit Games Champion, and host of the Effort Over Everything Podcast. Ask Me Anything

Jason is the founder of NCFIT, a global fitness company with brick and mortar locations, corporate wellness, and digital services. He is a 3x Team USA CrossFit member and CrossFit Games Champion. A Pediatric Cancer Advocate after his daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia in 2016, host of the Effort Over Everything Podcast, and BJJ Purple Belt.

IG: Login • Instagram
Podcast: Effort Over Everything Podcast — NCFIT
Philanthropy: https://avaskitchen.org/

5 Likes

Opening this up now to get a rolling start. Coach will be here tomorrow morning to start answering, but if you’ve got a question for him, fire away.

I’m sure he’ll tackle AMQAP. As Many Questions As Possible. I’m sorry, that was too easy and I couldn’t resist. But yeah, questions, go for it.

1 Like

Is asking how his training is arranged stupid? Like how much is simply doing different WOD’s that have things he’s working towards vs having pre programmed training focused around building certain lifts / muscle groups.

Always been curious what the higher level CrossFit people do for training.

1 Like

@Chris_Colucci Will be ready to go! Thank you for the opportunity

7 Likes

@wanna_be not stupid at all, depends on what I am focused on at the time. Currently I am preparing for a Legends Competition at the end of the month so I have added a little more complexity to my training (muscle ups, HSPU, etc). Normally I follow our NCFIT workouts, specifically our NCX track. I typically do this workout daily and add in am cardio and/or BJJ daily. When I was competing professionally I broke my day into three sections. AM would typically be cardio, mid day would be more CrossFit with couplets triplets and for time workouts, the evening would be for stamina building on gymnastic type movements (10 min emom of 10 strict pull ups) for example.

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply man and glad you’re doing this!

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

What’s your favorite picture taken of you in any competition and why? Please post or link to the photo. Thank you.

Probably this one, this event was called the Burden run and this movement was called a pig flip, It was a tough event that I won and flipping this down the field well secured It for me. Hope all is well!

10 Likes

Probably a hard question to answer because everybody is different, but how different would the workouts be for high level crossfit vs the typical box gym WOD people? When I have watched the high level people, it seems a lot more lifting, compared to when I have done WODs at a box gym, which was more cardio based.

I don’t remember if I caught it on your podcast or somewhere else, but you talked about a “Sweat Once a Day” approach to training. Is there any more to that philosophy or is it really just about driving the mindset of ‘show up, go hard, come back for more later.’

Also, separate question: What’s something every lifter could benefit from learning/borrowing/stealing from CrossFit, either as a general approach, specific method or technique, etc.?

Good question, depends on the gym you go to and the program they are following. On social media you’ll see a lot of athletes share lifts because they are easy to film and cool to watch. .They may not film all the cardio/workouts they do. At NCFIT we have two workout tracks in our gyms NCmetcon has some days you’d do a longer “cardio” style workout while our NCX class will have strength and then a workout daily. So really depends on the gym you go to, the program they have, and the potential bias of the coaches towards cardio/strength.

1 Like

I’ve never heard you really discuss food, aside from BBQ. What’s your typical nutrition look like?

The sweat once a day (increase your heart rate and move through a range of motion) is for my children. That is the requirement in our house, they can do whatever they want (bike, swim, sports, trampoline, whatever) but It has to get done. Same should go for adults as well.

The idea of a coach, community, and a clock are special. The clock provides a sense of urgency that helps get more work done in less time. I think incorporating that into your workouts, at least every now and then and pushing the pace is a key factor. The coach component for most lifters definitely would help also, specifically those that lift on their own and have never had someone else review or provide insight on their movement

7 Likes

With all this training, how do you manage your recovery?

haha, thats a great question. Its an area I need to do better about sharing for sure. We have a new nutrition challenge coming up thats called Hands on Nutrition Challenge at NCFIT. Pretty simple theory but It involves looking at your quantity and also quality of your food. I am not super strict on my diet but generally eat Real food in quantities that support my activity level and desired physical look. I avoid excessive sugar and when looking to lean down reduce my carb intake.
here are a few other resources. NCFIT Edit: Nutrition — NCFIT

1 Like

Key for me is to listen to my body. I train BJJ 3x a week and do our NCFIT workouts daily. I also typically do early AM cardio and/or Ruck walks to start the day. If I feel super fatigued ill try and reduce the volume. However, doing nothing isnt something I really ever do. Ill at a minimum go for a long walk, I find that movement fuels me mentally and physically and is something I do daily

3 Likes

Do you have an all time favorite WOD at all?