T Nation

This is Going to Seem Stupid But...

I have to ask this question and I know I’m going to get a lot of strange responses, ranging from disbelief to cries of BS and more. This is my real story and my current burning question. I’m being honest and upfront, so please do the same.

Personal Stats:

Weight - 196
Height - 5’6"
BF% - 17%
Bench 1rpm - 275
Leg Press 1rpm - 710

The History:

I’ve been weight training off and on for about 20 years. I was actually a very sick kid and almost died a few times. In jr high school I got healthy and interested in the Marital Arts. I earned a Black Belt in TKD by 14, pretty much just out of willpower. I continued and earned Black Belts in Shaolin Kung Fu, Jiu Jitsu, and Shotakan Karate by 17. My best bench press held at a measly 145lbs. I was fit, but not strong.

At 19 I entered into international competition and fought for 3 years with a pretty good record and few injuries. I also earned a Black Belt in Aikido during that time.

I had a sort of “crisis of faith” in 93 and went to a remote area of China to study an obscure martial art, and zen, for 6 years. To be honest I lost track of time after the first two years and had no idea what year it was until I left.

When I returned home to the USA in '99 I discovered I had a daughter I never knew about and who’s mother had abandoned. I settled in to take care of her and got a job. I had to work really hard long hours for a long time and it was only in '05 that i could seriously get back to the gym.

Then disaster struck and I slipped and fell while squatting 450 on a rack with no safety bars. I broke my back in 6 places and had to stop lifting for 6 months. It was a long hard struggle back to health and the gym.

I had a respectable bench press of 190 in '06 and my squat was back to 400. I had to stop squats though on doctors orders. So I switched to various leg presses to get the job done.

In the past year I’ve not changed my workout radically. I usually do a 5 way split with m/w/f devoted to chest/back/legs and tue/thur devoted to core/cardio. I’ve increased the percentage of my diet that protien to 60% or more and kept it as close to 1gram per pound of bodyweight as I could. But to be honest I haven’t been that good about my diet.

The Change:

In the last 6 months I have suddenly had a dramatic physical change. My bodyfat dropped from 32% to 24%, then to 20%, then 17%. At the same time my strength has skyrocketed. In just the last 8 weeks I went from benching 190 to 235, then 250, then 275. My leg press went from 450, to 550, then 650 and 710.

Now, I did do some clenbuterol for about 4 weeks and that’s when I went from 24%bf to 20%, but then I seemed to get stuck. So I tried adding in a little T3 and it made me feel like crap so I stopped both. The jump from 190 to 275 bench started the week I started the clen, and has continued since then.

I almost have a 6 pack again, and everyone tells me I am looking younger all the time.

I feel strong, but I pull muscles really easily now and my tendons seem to be a lot more tender than usual.

I’m hungry constantly and I could eat all day if I wanted to. I can’t seem to get enough sex either. (When your 24 yr old fiancee who’s a self described “monogamous slut” tells you that you’re wearing her out, and your 37, that’s not normal).

I can’t seem to sleep at night, waking up 4 or 5 times at least.

I also urinate a LOT, like 10-15 times a day, and it’s a full bladder every time. I have to drink 8-10 bottles of water a day to not feel dried out.

When I do cardio on Thursdays I feel like I don’t have limits. I go full blast on the elliptical machine for an hour and I actually have to make myself stop or I’d keep going.

I feel supercharged sometimes, and other times I can barely stay awake.

The Question:

What the “F” is happening to me? Has anyone ever seen this before? Do I have some sort of weird tumor on a gland that’s doing this?

Its could be your diet, the bench up 80+ pounds is crazy, was it in 4 weeks? or 4 weeks between 190-225 and 225-250, etc…

The leg press going up could be from you shortening the ROM just to add more weight.

Whatever you are doing is working, so keep at it and good luck.

Did you change your form on the bench?

How much do you weight?

I honestly have NO idea. But I did want to say congrats on getting back at it and improving after the injury.

I would say, stop taking the steroids. I just tought this was a nice story, until it hit the steroid stuff. You have been to China to get peace of mind, and then you get back to the states and taking steroids?

It is common knowledge that it is easy to pull muscles when you are on steroids. Doing leg-presses that heavy also puts a lot of stress on the lower back. If the doctor thinks it is okay to do leg-presses with 710lbs, but not squat at all, that just seems pretty odd to me.

I’ve been working in different gyms for 7 years, and seen all kinds of stuff going on. What is the point anyway? Usually it hits you in the end.

Drop the steroids! Usage of steroids is not to be taken lightly. You should also visit a qualifies doctor and tell him everything. Preferably a doctor that knows about weight-training.

That’s my advice.

[quote]stallion wrote:
I would say, stop taking the steroids. I just tought this was a nice story, until it hit the steroid stuff. You have been to China to get peace of mind, and then you get back to the states and taking steroids?[/quote]

i missed the part where he says hes taking steroids???

i only saw clen and T3, which are used for fat burning…

gavra

i feel like this when things are going well in my life…

when things are going so well… i have a suspicion that something went wrong… hehehehehehe

just kidding, but enjoy the moment, as everything wont last forever, so enjoy it…

gavra

[quote]gavra wrote:
stallion wrote:
I would say, stop taking the steroids. I just tought this was a nice story, until it hit the steroid stuff. You have been to China to get peace of mind, and then you get back to the states and taking steroids?

gavra[/quote]

Okay, my bad. I assumed that he did use steroids, since his numbers skyrocketed and that he used clenbuterol. Most of the people that I know who use/used clenbuterol also used anabolics, so I he does not, then I am sorry to bring it up.

I hope things works out just fine! I would definately reccomend a doctor.

As a side note, my floorpress just went up about 10lbs from a month of hard training, and that is good progress for me. No way I would have gained 40lbs in any upper body exercise in one month. :slight_smile: I guess some freaks can do it, but I’d suspect steroids in most of those cases.

I was unaware that T3 was used for fat burning, I tought it was some sort of slang for some testosterone. Just shows how little I know about the specifics about those medicines.

[quote]gavra wrote:
stallion wrote:

gavra[/quote]

Well… He also mentions taking clenbuterol which is a steroid…

[quote]molnes wrote:
gavra wrote:
stallion wrote:

gavra

Well… He also mentions taking clenbuterol which is a steroid…[/quote]

As far as I know clenbuterol is a steroid, but it is not an anabolics. Ie. it does not help muscle growth, but only fat burning?

You achieved enlightenment. Congratulations.

This would be best posted in the steroid section, even then I doubt you will recieve much feedback.

Clen is a steroid, but not an anabolic. It’s used to treat asthma, like albuterol. From what I understand most of its effects are placebo-based. I take albuterol for my asthma, and it doesn’t enhance my performance other than loosening my chest. So I doubt the clen really has anything to do with it.

[quote]matso1236 wrote:
Its could be your diet, the bench up 80+ pounds is crazy, was it in 4 weeks? or 4 weeks between 190-225 and 225-250, etc…

The leg press going up could be from you shortening the ROM just to add more weight.

Whatever you are doing is working, so keep at it and good luck.

Did you change your form on the bench?

How much do you weight?[/quote]

I don’t know what you mean by ROM, but I’m going to guess you mean I’m shortening the distance I move the weight. Truth is that I haven’t. I position my feet shoulder width apart and make sure my knees come within 2-3 inches of my shoulders at the bottom of each press. One of the HUGE guys at my gym came over this week and told me I was some sort of freak of nature. He’d never seen anyone as small as me push weight like I do.

I weight 196 now, body fat % is still dropping. I don’t know how to explain it but I “feel” it. This morning in the mirror I noticed I’m getting the vertical grooves in my lower stomach from my groin out to my hip bones.

My bench went up 80lbs in 8 weeks. Biggest jump was in the 1st 4 weeks when I went from 190 to 250.

Honestly, I never even knew there was such a thing as “form” when bench pressing until a couple weeks ago. I haven’t really tried correcting my form yet. I tend to put the bar over my clavicle and push with my elbows out and my hands turned slightly so that the knuckles are very slightly turned towards each other. This always feels right. When my hands are not turned this way my elbows hurt and I lose power. If anyone can point me to a link that shows proper form I’d love to know.

I guess what’s freaking me out is that I really didn’t make any radical changes to my diet/workout routines in the last year. I haven’t done any AAS, and my clen cycle was 4 weeks with a 1 week break in the middle.

But my strength has suddenly skyrocketed and my body fat is dropping. Sleep is getting harder and I can’t stop pissing. I keep waking up all night with a jump, like I was shocked or something. I’m having extremely vivid dreams that race and make little sense.

I’m not getting much bigger either, just stronger. My fiancee told me last night she’s noticed that I feel abnormally dense and hard. She said I feel like a brick, even when I’m asleep. She had an ex bf who was a state champion bodybuilder so I think she has a good reference.

Could my thyroid be doing something?

How much clen did you use?

[quote]big balls wrote:
How much clen did you use?
[/quote]

I went from 20mg up to 80 in a week Then did 80mg for 2 weeks. Then I took a week off. Then I did 60mg clen and 20mg T3. After 5 days of that mix I stopped because I felt awful. I had no energy or strength and actually felt slightly flu-like.

3 days after stopping my strength flooded back and I jumped up another 20lbs on the bench.

[quote]masonator wrote:
Clen is a steroid, but not an anabolic. It’s used to treat asthma, like albuterol. From what I understand most of its effects are placebo-based. I take albuterol for my asthma, and it doesn’t enhance my performance other than loosening my chest. So I doubt the clen really has anything to do with it.[/quote]

Clenbuterol is not a steroid, its a beta 2 sympathomitetic and CNS stimulant. Comparing the amount of albuterol you take for your asthma to 80mg’s of clenbuterol makes absolutly no sense. You shouldn’t be giving someone advice based on your experiance with a different drug, with a much lower dose that you were taking for a very different purpose. Clenbuterol is not a placebo either, I don’t know where you are getting your information.

[quote]MightyMaus wrote:
I guess what’s freaking me out is that I really didn’t make any radical changes to my diet/workout routines in the last year. I haven’t done any AAS, and my clen cycle was 4 weeks with a 1 week break in the middle.

But my strength has suddenly skyrocketed and my body fat is dropping. Sleep is getting harder and I can’t stop pissing. I keep waking up all night with a jump, like I was shocked or something. I’m having extremely vivid dreams that race and make little sense.

I’m not getting much bigger either, just stronger. My fiancee told me last night she’s noticed that I feel abnormally dense and hard. She said I feel like a brick, even when I’m asleep. She had an ex bf who was a state champion bodybuilder so I think she has a good reference.

Could my thyroid be doing something?[/quote]

“Common side effects of clenbuterol include:
Headaches
Muscular tremors (especially hand shakes)
Muscular cramps
Nervousness
Insomnia
Sweating
Increased appetite
Nausea
Palpitations
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Possible cardiac hypertrophy as clen also targets cardiac and smooth muscle fibres
Heart muscle necrosis has been demonstrated in animal studies”

It doesn’t look like you did alot of research prior to embarking on your fat loss cycle. Frankly it looks like you’re just using this thread to blow your own horn, Clen is not a toy. Considering you diet and training hasn’t changed I think its pretty obvious what your “problem” is. Go to your dealer and lecture him for giving you shitty dope then go to your doctor and get him to check out that inflated ego.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
MightyMaus wrote:

Could my thyroid be doing something?

“Common side effects of clenbuterol include:
Headaches
Muscular tremors (especially hand shakes)
Muscular cramps
Nervousness
Insomnia
Sweating
Increased appetite
Nausea
Palpitations
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Possible cardiac hypertrophy as clen also targets cardiac and smooth muscle fibres
Heart muscle necrosis has been demonstrated in animal studies”

It doesn’t look like you did alot of research prior to embarking on your fat loss cycle. Frankly it looks like you’re just using this thread to blow your own horn, Clen is not a toy. Considering you diet and training hasn’t changed I think its pretty obvious what your “problem” is. Go to your dealer and lecture him for giving you shitty dope then go to your doctor and get him to check out that inflated ego.[/quote]

Well, I appreciate the honesty, but I don’t think it’s the clen because I went off it more than 3 weeks ago and the half life is only 48-72 hours at max. I did do a lot of research on the fat burn cycle before I started it and consulted with a few people here and in other forums. I know my supply was clean and good because it was from a trusted source and direct from pharmacy in EU.

My point here was not to chest thump. it was to outline my history and symptoms so people who know more than I do could possibly help me identify the cause(s) of this sudden change. if it’s nothing to worry about then great, but I am concerned because it’s been so rapid and I can’t find a trigger.

Doubt it’s anything to worry about, the athletecisim was probably already in you just never as consistent and focused on body sculpting as the last year has been for you.

Add that with the change of seasons and your going to have a good results.

At a weight of 196 it’s highly likely you had the strength just not the mental skill(aka CNS) to bench 275 before. It’ll be much more impressive to bench 1.75-2 times your body weight, and we all know leg press numbers go up far faster than squats. You took supplements that stimulate fat loss, which will lead to more energy. More energy leads to more sex, and most men have a sex drive higher then women. Your in better shape now, be happy.