This Is For Me

Alright, so I’m a beginner. My weight training has been inconsistent over the past year, and I hope that posting on T-Nation will help me to remain focused. Keeping this log should keep me motivated to improve.
I’m not posting to impress anybody. This is more of a call for support. Hopefully the people with more experience and knowledge can help me to get bigger and stronger.
I’m currently 17 years old at 170 lbs and 6’0". I’ve recently finished ABBH 1 and I gained roughly 5 pounds. I’m really excited to begin ABBH 2.
My goal is to achieve a hard, lean physique like that of caveman.

So heres my diet:
Meal 1
1 c old fashioned oats
1/2 c blueberries
1 scoop Grow!
1 c milk

Meal 2
chicken breast
2 tbsp flaxseeds
salad (lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, and almonds)

Meal 3
8 oz. lean beef
2 tbsp flaxseeds
1/4 c Prego
1 c frozen veggies

Meal 4
2 cans tuna or salmon
2 tbsp flaxseeds
1/4 c prego
salad (lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, and almonds)

Meal 5
1 c cottage cheese
1 scoop Grow!
2 tbsp peanut butter

Snacks (eaten in between meals)
1 cup mixed nuts
1 apple
1 orange

Post workout
2 servings Surge

The total calories for all this is 3600.

With regards to training, I’ll be following ABBH 2. In addition to that, I’ll be performing 20 minutes of GPP everyday. The method of GPP will alternate between:

1. GPP ASAP
  2. CT’s Running Man Sprint Intervals
  3. Jumping Rope
  4. Distance Jogging
    I will also do the 100 reps of pushups on the days that I don’t weight train.

Any feedback or help is appreciated. Thanks

[quote]salad (lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, and almonds)

Meal 3
8 oz. lean beef
2 tbsp flaxseeds
1/4 c Prego
1 c frozen veggies

Meal 5
1 c cottage cheese
1 scoop Grow!
2 tbsp peanut butter

I will also do the 100 reps of pushups on the days that I don’t weight train.

Any feedback or help is appreciated. Thanks
[/quote]

The one thing I’d change is the salad, I’d drop the lettuce and use more spinach.

You might want to add broccoli. Walnut pieces are good in salad too. Better and cheaper than almonds.
For Meal 5. Make sure you use natural peanut butter.

I totally forgot about 100 pushup on days off. I did them 10 times a day, 10 reps each and space it over the day. Just for the blood flow and recovery. Is that they way you were planning. In fact, I should start doing that again. Thanks for reminding me.

Ok if you want to add extra mass, get up in the middle of the night…and eat something or drink some Grow! or something. Without waxing on about the benefits of this too much, you will be supplying your body with nutrients over a more consistent period and maintaining a positive nitrogen balance.

Particularly at your age, I mean you still need the calories for growth, you won’t have experienced epiphyseal closure, and you will still be growing anyway, bodybuilding or not. I’d stick with the calories you are on and add the night time calories to that to make is 4000 or something per 24hr period. You can expect better results on your next mass cycle with this, I promise.

here’s a pic

If I were you I would worry about gaining weight and muscle before I would worry about getting the “lean hard physique”.

I’m not going to tell you you’re skinny, because you already know it. Just eat a LOT of food (including a LOT of protein), lift with heavy compound movements, get plenty of sleep, and you’ll be on your way. Once you build a solid base of strength and size then the “fine tuning” so to speak of adjusting bodyfat or gaining muscle mass will be easier.

I do agree with what was just mentioned - pack on some pounds first.

More carbs!!

Your nutrition plan looks like a cutting diet.

Hey kid. i’m basically the same stats as you. 18, 6’1" and 170lbs. I’m bulking up too. Check my program. I, too, am a beginner. Peace,

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6956/animalvert1ah.jpg

Eating plan

Breakfast:
-Water with lemon juice
-Apple
-Orange
-Kiwi
-Banana
-Half Grapefruit
-Yoghurt Drink
-Orange Juice with water
-Fish Oil capsule
-6 Grapes
-Organic Porridge with Wheatgerm
c p f
This totals: 162g-28g-12g 849Kcal

Then i go to the gym,

Post Workout:
-Tuna can
-Boiled Egg
-Cheese
-Yoghurt with Wheatgerm and soy protein
-Nuts
-Protein Bar
-OJ w/ whey protein
-Milk w/ whey (3 hours)
c p f
This totals: 117g-191g-52g 1,570Kcal

Lunch:
-Green Tea
-Wholewheat Toast with Peanut butter
-Pasta with cheese
-Breakfast Cereal w/milk
-3 slice LF cheese
-walnuts
-3 slices turkey
c p f
This totals: 204g-132g-89g 2,487Kcal

This brings me to:
c p f
4,906Kcal 483g-351g-153g
49% 36% 15%
(before i count dinner!)

[quote]Brave88 wrote:
here’s a pic[/quote]

For gosh sakes…nooooooo.

[quote]m_mackenz wrote:
Your nutrition plan looks like a cutting diet.[/quote]

Agreed…bump up those carbs brotha

When I first started, I ate a large potato or sweet potato with every solid meal. I packed on the pounds like you wouldn’t believe.

At the point you are in your development, carbs are just as important as protein.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Brave88 wrote:
here’s a pic

For gosh sakes…nooooooo.[/quote]

“Side Muscles”.

[quote]springs38 wrote:
Hey kid. i’m basically the same stats as you. 18, 6’1" and 170lbs. I’m bulking up too. Check my program. I, too, am a beginner. Peace,

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6956/animalvert1ah.jpg

Eating plan

Breakfast:
-Water with lemon juice
-Apple
-Orange
-Kiwi
-Banana
-Half Grapefruit
-Yoghurt Drink
-Orange Juice with water
-Fish Oil capsule
-6 Grapes
-Organic Porridge with Wheatgerm
c p f
This totals: 162g-28g-12g 849Kcal

Then i go to the gym,

Post Workout:
-Tuna can
-Boiled Egg
-Cheese
-Nuts
-Protein Bar
-OJ w/ whey protein
-Milk w/ whey (3 hours)
c p f

Lunch:
-Green Tea
-Wholewheat Toast with Peanut butter
-Pasta with cheese
-Breakfast Cereal w/milk
-3 slice LF cheese
-walnuts
-3 slices turkey
c p f
This totals: 204g-132g-89g 2,487Kcal

This brings me to:
c p f
4,906Kcal 483g-351g-153g
49% 36% 15%
(before i count dinner!)
[/quote]

I have trouble believing your totals. I don’t see how 3 slices of turkey, 3 slices of cheese and some milk is getting you up to a whopping 132g of protein for your lunch meal.

I also don’t understand why you are eating so terribly much at one sitting PWO. I am all for eating a lot of food, but you’d probably feel better if you split that amongst 2 meals.

Annnnnd why the “6 grapes” for breakfast? Ha!

Ditch the jogging. Whatever you do, do not jog. For christs sake, NO JOGGING!

It is IMO the worst exercise ever invented.

Either walk or sprint. Judging by your pics, I would hit the weights and eat eat eat and not worry about any cardio at all.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
Annnnnd why the “6 grapes” for breakfast? Ha![/quote]

It could have been worse… it could have been 0.9 bananas.

Ive seen a lot of these posts lately and Im not the type to pick on anybody, especially when they must have some type of motivation to improve. I do have an observation though.

If you were really motivated to put some muscle on your body, wouldn’t you follow this plan?

1.take a “before” picture today, when you are unhappy with your current state(usually too skinny)

2.train and eat like an animal for 2 years or so, with the intention of oneday taking an “after” picture

3.after you have put on 30, 40 or 50 pounds of muscle, post the “after” picture with the “before” picture to show us what you did.

This whole idea of posting a “before” picture as motivation sounds a little strange to me. Its almost as if some of these guys are looking to get verbally attacked, as if that is going to motivate you more. Trust me. It won’t.
Anyone thinking of doing this needs to seriously consider the concept of intrinsic motivation. If you don’t have
it, you won’t get anywhere.

Either that or they’re trolls.

Also, don’t post a damn thing about your training or diet if you are just starting out and have not yet read most of the articles on this site. I would have given my left nut to have this website when I was 16 and reading Musclemag for advice. Clearly, that is not happening judging by some of these wacked out diets 150 pound dudes are embarking on. 6 grapes? No carbs after breakfast for a skinny guy? What the hell?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Brave88 wrote:
here’s a pic

For gosh sakes…nooooooo.[/quote]

I had the same reaction.

For the love of god, stop worrying about being lean and eat something.
Look, it’s like a bank account. If you don’t make enough money (eat) you’ll never save any money (put on muscle) if you keep spending it (doing cardio).

Get it?
Eat like it’s your job.

Its a good thing that you’re logging everything that you’re eating and eating clean, but from the looks of things it appears you might benefit from eating a little “less” clean and getting in more calories.

I’d also cut down a bit on the cardio if your main goal is to gain mass and look more muscular. Really focus on getting stronger.

Otherwise, nice work and remember it’ll take some time. Keep working on it.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Ive seen a lot of these posts lately and Im not the type to pick on anybody, especially when they must have some type of motivation to improve. I do have an observation though.

If you were really motivated to put some muscle on your body, wouldn’t you follow this plan?

1.take a “before” picture today, when you are unhappy with your current state(usually too skinny)

2.train and eat like an animal for 2 years or so, with the intention of oneday taking an “after” picture

3.after you have put on 30, 40 or 50 pounds of muscle, post the “after” picture with the “before” picture to show us what you did.

This whole idea of posting a “before” picture as motivation sounds a little strange to me. Its almost as if some of these guys are looking to get verbally attacked, as if that is going to motivate you more. Trust me. It won’t.
Anyone thinking of doing this needs to seriously consider the concept of intrinsic motivation. If you don’t have
it, you won’t get anywhere.

Either that or they’re trolls.

Also, don’t post a damn thing about your training or diet if you are just starting out and have not yet read most of the articles on this site. I would have given my left nut to have this website when I was 16 and reading Musclemag for advice. Clearly, that is not happening judging by some of these wacked out diets 150 pound dudes are embarking on. 6 grapes? No carbs after breakfast for a skinny guy? What the hell?
[/quote]

I agree with this completely. Most of these guys with “before” shots never come back. the two who actually have were regulars in the first place. I don;t understand the obsessive focus on being “lean” when they are carrying no muscle mass. I never thought I could avoid carrying some extra basic size and bulk on me before I refined that and leaned out. How do people expect to jump from step 1 to step 4 without doing everything in between?

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
Springs38 wrote:
Post Workout:
-Tuna can
-Boiled Egg
-Cheese
-Nuts
-Protein Bar
-OJ w/ whey protein
-Milk w/ whey (3 hours)
c p f

I have trouble believing your totals. I don’t see how 3 slices of turkey, 3 slices of cheese and some milk is getting you up to a whopping 132g of protein for your lunch meal.

I also don’t understand why you are eating so terribly much at one sitting PWO. I am all for eating a lot of food, but you’d probably feel better if you split that amongst 2 meals.
[/quote]

To answer your first question:
Lunch:
-Green Tea [Negligable]
-Wholewheat Toast with Peanut butter [32-19-28]
-Pasta with cheese [60-20-12]
-Breakfast Cereal w/milk [110-38-9]
-3 slice LF cheese [1-21-8]
-walnuts [1-6-27]
-3 slices turkey [1-28-5]

204g-132g-89g
Any questions?

Second question:
The term post-workout refers to a period after my workout which is 3 hours long. So i have 3 hours in which to eat the specified foods.