This is Eric Bach. Helping Busy People Look Great Naked and Optimize Performance Without Living in the Gym. Ask Me Anything

Trap bar deadlift covers a lot of bases for me in a minimalist workout setup.
Plus its easy to take a little weight off and hit a few sets of RDL at end.

1 Like

Hey! Appreciate the question.

My roots are in sports performance and I was fortunate to work with some quality USAW certified coaches at a young age.

In terms of longer texts, Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorksy was incredibly influential for me, as was the work of Tudor Bompa.

I worked under two great strength coaches early in my career: Steve Hess, who was the strength and conditioning coach of the Denver Nuggets for nearly 20 years and later, Loren Landow who’s the current strength coach of the Denver Broncos. Seeing those two work day in, day out was huge.

As far as writers, I grew up on TMAG. I fell in love with the work of Dave Tate and Jim Wendler for their simple, no-bullshit attitude towards building strength.

John Berardi was my go to for nutrition.

I gravitated towards the writing styles of Nate Green and John Romaniello, though neither are involved in the industry anymore.

I love the performance-physique emphasis by guys like the late Charles Poliquin (his biceps were no fucking joke) and Christian Thibaudeau.

As far as resources, The Black Book of Training Secrets by CT is great. Science and Practice of Strength Training is a must own. Brad Schoenfeld’s book, The Science and Development of Muscular Hypertrophy is a good one to own.

Hopefully that gives you a good starting point.

3 Likes

Are you inside my head?

I just finished trap bar deadlifts in my garage.

#Trapbar4life

Great answer!

Thanks for the book recommendations right before Christmas.

I like your sports inspired, “Looks follow Performance” style. When working with guys without an athletic background, or dudes who are just “gym-rats” are there any commonly held misbeliefs or wide spread dumb advice that you think guys should unlearn? Or do you see a lot of people “messing” up in the same, predictable way?

You’re welcome!

The biggest mistake I see is people thinking interval training and tons of jumps, plyometrics without little rest make for an athletic workout. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Specifically with jumps and throws the emphasis is on the maximum intent of each rep, not getting as many done as humanly possible.

Eric, thank you in advance for your time. I have been training for 5 years. I lost 60lbs and very pleased with my results.

See photos 2016 to 2022. 200lbs to 140lbs. It took a few years to get dialed in holding on at 140lbs lean with my current training and nutrition, and, I never gained any weight back.

I “feel” like I am dialed in and not living in the gym because I only train 40 minutes, EOD, push / pull “style”

I am 48 years old with multiple injuries from motocross: (broken left knee, both my shoulders have been dislocated multiple times and I feel “occasional” lower back soreness. Nothing that needs medication or attention.

My current set up is comfortable but I am open to tweaks. I shoot for 30 comfortable reps due to injuries.

Is there anything I can do better or anything I am doing redundant?

DAY 1
Weighted Pull Up 25lbs 15 x 2
Weighted Chin Up 25lbs 15 x 2
Weighted Dips 25lbs 15 x 2
Deadlift 5 x 6
Bent Over Rows 15 x 2
Overhead Press 5 x 6
Shrugs 15 x 2
Leg Press 15 x 2
100 Crunches
NO CARDIO AT ALL

DAY 2
NO GYM. Cardio 30MIN JOG AT BEACH

DAY 3
Lat Pull Down Overhand Behind Neck 15 x 2
Lat Pull Down Underhand To Chest 15 x 2
Vince Gironda Style Neck Press 5 x 6
Incline Bench Press 15 x 2
Dumbell Flat Bench Press 15 x 2
Dumbell Fly 15 x 2
Skull Crushers 15 x 2
Dumbell Pullover 15 x 2
100 crunches
NO CARDIO AT ALL

DAY 4
NO GYM. Cardio 30 MIN JOG AT BEACH

REPEAT BACK TO DAY 1

2 Likes

I think the AMA is long over, and I have no advice, but that’s a miraculous transformation and you should be proud.

Awesome. Thank you. I just wanted another opinion on my lifts.

Happy new year.

Hey man, sorry I just saw this going through the archives. Incredible work. I hope you are well.