This Guy Needs some Mass

[quote]believedat wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
Corrosion wrote:
I saw plenty of kids when I was in high school that looked like without even trying.

I was thinking the same thing too. My assumption is he sees them too and envys them. Dr Phil asks a good question in a part of the show. He simply asks “WHat happen between these two pictures?” (There was a young chubby picture and a older low bodyfat picture.) He didn’t really answer it and I wish Dr. Phil would have dug deeper on that. I believe that’s where he could have began to get better.

he wasnt chubby in the after picture, most people have small rolls on their stomach and it doesnt mean you are chubby at all, those are the type of values instilled in this society that push people to go that far, he had 3 small rolls and perfectly normal bodyweight [/quote]

Agreed. Since when is normal body weight for a kid “chubby”?

I think some people on THIS site have unreal expectations for their own bodies.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ahzaz wrote:

I can understand where theyre coming from though. Everyone used to count calories exessively at one point or another, even if they dont do it anymore. I know i did.

No, not all of us did. My goal was to get big. I never once in my life worried as much as many of the newbies on this board seem to about any and all fat gains. I knew I was eating enough if the scale went up.

Mind you, that attitude is reflected in how few really big guys even exist lately.

With authors like Shugart writing as if fat gains should be feared like the plague, I expect to see even more cases like this.

It’s like the idea got lost that you have to build those big muscles in the first place before you worry about how ripped they are.

This kid has anorexia. He fears fat on his body. That isn’t bodybuilding.[/quote]

You might not have, but from what i hear on this site, everyone used to count calories like this kid did. After a while people learn, and i did too. I stopped eating with friends and stopped having “fun foods” becuase i thought it would be bad for me, but now im not even in that bad shape yet i get to eat and enjoy.

That is disturbing. Only reason I was real skinny when I was young was cause my family didn’t have alot of money, therefore we didn’t have enough food necessary to satisfy my 3 siblings and me (especially me being a real active kid).

Shit I remember seeing my dad steal packages of beef in the grocery store @ times when we were really struggling.

I see kids like that and I think to myself.
How does a kid reach this point? Was it some bs he heard or read through the media? I think more then anything a friend or some one influenced him. One of them do abz all day and eat like a bird types.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
believedat wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
Corrosion wrote:
I saw plenty of kids when I was in high school that looked like without even trying.

I was thinking the same thing too. My assumption is he sees them too and envys them. Dr Phil asks a good question in a part of the show. He simply asks “WHat happen between these two pictures?” (There was a young chubby picture and a older low bodyfat picture.) He didn’t really answer it and I wish Dr. Phil would have dug deeper on that. I believe that’s where he could have began to get better.

he wasnt chubby in the after picture, most people have small rolls on their stomach and it doesnt mean you are chubby at all, those are the type of values instilled in this society that push people to go that far, he had 3 small rolls and perfectly normal bodyweight

Agreed. Since when is normal body weight for a kid “chubby”?

I think some people on THIS site have unreal expectations for their own bodies.[/quote]

On 2:48 there is a split shot of this boy. In the BEFORE picture, (Which by the way is the one I said he looked chubby in, not the after shot) is there no one who thinks he has some baby fat? Professor, I don’t know how that says anything about my own expectations. And to answer your qusetion; his weight doesn’t make him chubby, his body composition does.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
On 2:48 there is a split shot of this boy. In the BEFORE picture, (Which by the way is the one I said he looked chubby in, not the after shot) is there no one who thinks he has some baby fat? Professor, I don’t know how that says anything about my own expectations. And to answer your qusetion; his weight doesn’t make him chubby, his body composition does.[/quote]

The kid is sitting and hunched over in that picture - not really the most flattering position to have a pic with your shirt off snapped for anyone IMO. And also the kid is probably like 12 in the before picture (he’s only 15 now). Most 12 year olds don’t carry tons of muscle since most haven’t even started to develop yet.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
On 2:48 there is a split shot of this boy. In the BEFORE picture, (Which by the way is the one I said he looked chubby in, not the after shot) is there no one who thinks he has some baby fat? Professor, I don’t know how that says anything about my own expectations. And to answer your qusetion; his weight doesn’t make him chubby, his body composition does.

The kid is sitting and hunched over in that picture - not really the most flattering position to have a pic with your shirt off snapped for anyone IMO. And also the kid is probably like 12 in the before picture (he’s only 15 now). Most 12 year olds don’t carry tons of muscle since most haven’t even started to develop yet.[/quote]

THat’s true. BOth parts. I was like that when I was 12.

It really ticks me off that rather than explaining to him that to ever get reasonably muscular he needs to stop eating like a 3 year old girl, they just talk about him having a “disorder”. They tell him that he needs to give his goals up completely, rather than show him a better way to do it. Any disorder he has is probably caused by a lack of proper education about health, lifting, and eating like a man.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
How does a kid reach this point? Was it some bs he heard or read through the media? I think more then anything a friend or some one influenced him. One of them do abz all day and eat like a bird types.[/quote]

it starts with a ‘moment’. mine was a button tearing off my pants. from there onwards its a result of not knowing when to stop due to the absence of external cues, that seem ‘reputable’.

NO friends influenced me. I live with 3 guys who actually have a ritual of eating 1 ENTIRE pizza and 1 serving of garlic bread 2 times a week.

I got messed up 2 years ago and am still trying to recover.

EDIT:

I disagree. I became obsessed to the point that I have read everything from John Berardi to Dave Draper’s bulking article in order to know exactly what everything does.
I follow Poliquin’s GVT protocol. I up the weight I lift regularly (the 5% recommended).
I doubt there is anything really wrong with what I eat or how I eat.
This thing (I don’t call it a disorder), manifests itself in different ways.
I was afraid of Fat. Started AD to beat that down. Now, I get paranoid over hidden carbs(occasionally)

Bottom Line:
the condition feeds off of fear. Now that I know how food works, the fear is a result of knowing exactly the physical effects of eating a particular food.
Btw, I eat 1 gm protein/lb, eat regularly, eat, veggies, fats, nuts etc but its the control I maintain over what I feed myself thats the problem

[quote]Evil1 wrote:
Carlitosway wrote:
How does a kid reach this point? Was it some bs he heard or read through the media? I think more then anything a friend or some one influenced him. One of them do abz all day and eat like a bird types.

it starts with a ‘moment’. mine was a button tearing off my pants. from there onwards its a result of not knowing when to stop due to the absence of external cues, that seem ‘reputable’.

NO friends influenced me. I live with 3 guys who actually have a ritual of eating 1 ENTIRE pizza and 1 serving of garlic bread 2 times a week.

I got messed up 2 years ago and am still trying to recover.

EDIT:

Any disorder he has is probably caused by a lack of proper education about health, lifting, and eating like a man.

I disagree. I became obsessed to the point that I have read everything from John Berardi to Dave Draper’s bulking article in order to know exactly what everything does.
I follow Poliquin’s GVT protocol. I up the weight I lift regularly (the 5% recommended).
I doubt there is anything really wrong with what I eat or how I eat.
This thing (I don’t call it a disorder), manifests itself in different ways.
I was afraid of Fat. Started AD to beat that down. Now, I get paranoid over hidden carbs(occasionally)

Bottom Line:
the condition feeds off of fear. Now that I know how food works, the fear is a result of knowing exactly the physical effects of eating a particular food.
Btw, I eat 1 gm protein/lb, eat regularly, eat, veggies, fats, nuts etc but its the control I maintain over what I feed myself thats the problem[/quote]

pertaining to the case of this kid, Id say he is greatly missinformed. Both in terms of nutrition and working out itself.

He seems to believe any sort of fat he eats will immediately store as fat in his body. He seems to believe his diet his showing off his muscles when in fact (and I was shocked no one broke this to him in the show) he has less muscle mass then the girl next door and probably had more muscle mass in the before pic when he was 12. His workout regiment is limited to hundreds of pushups and situps. And he is weaker then his grandma. It shocks me how no one brings up the fact to him that all he is showing are bones, and has absolutely no muscle on him, and anyone one malnourished enough can look like him without any work put in.

I felt really bad for the kid because he did seem like an intelligent boy and i hope his situation gets better. All he is doing now is shortening his life and not reaching his potential to grow as a full adult.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
and eating like a man. [/quote]

THis is what got me to start eating more. I remember feeling like a little girl the way I was eating. I wasn’t gay at all, and I really wanted some more female attention. WHen I thought about how much I ate I was kind of embarrased with myself.

How is this kid special? About a tenth of the guys in my school are exactly like this, and they aren’t even trying.

Mental illness is a tough thing. That being said, squats and milk.

[quote]altimus wrote:
Mental illness is a tough thing. That being said, squats and milk.[/quote]

I believe you forgot the most important part:
Squats, milk and carrots.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
How is this kid special? About a tenth of the guys in my school are exactly like this, and they aren’t even trying.[/quote]

I think he’s on the show because he’s “mentally” not healthy. I may be the only one who believes this, but I believe alot of mental “Diseases” are just plain bullshit made up in order to give RX their paychecks. ADD… Bullshit. Bipolar…bullshit. Now before everyone starts to hammer me into the ground and remind me about my stupid thread post, hear me out: This kid is 15 years old, he doesn’t eat that much at all, he excercises alot, he gets frustrated when his diet is interfered with. Most medical professionals would classify him as having an eating disorder. (He was hospitalized in fact for his low heart rate.)

The truth is, it’s not impossible for him to change on his own. Everyone has a different mind and to be so simple and classify someone in one word seems ridiculous to me. “He’s annorexic because he doesn’t eat enough to survive.” Okay, then it’s time to get involved, but don’t judge everything he does just because he made those decisions. What if the next day his moods completely alter? Is he now Bi-polar?

who the hell wants to be that skinny and ripped anyway, everyone knows fat=strong, my idols are Donnie Thompson and Jeff Lewis

Sick Rick wrote:
How is this kid special? About a tenth of the guys in my school are exactly like this, and they aren’t even trying.

I think he’s on the show because he’s “mentally” not healthy. I may be the only one who believes this, but I believe alot of mental “Diseases” are just plain bullshit made up in order to give RX their paychecks. ADD… Bullshit. Bipolar…bullshit. [/quote]

You’re kidding right? Granted there are hypochondriacs out there who think they’re bipolar or have ADD and such when really they’re just not eating/sleeping properly or have a chemical or nutrient imbalance/deficiency, but to say mental diseases are bs is a stupid thing to say.

I know a 17 year old girl who is bipolar thanks to her parents constant invalidation of her feelings and emotions, so now one minute she’ll be perfectly fine and the next she’ll tell me she’s thinking about whether or not she could use anything in the house to cut herself. It would be nice if she was only kidding but unfortunately she has a serious problem.

[quote]JLu wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
Sick Rick wrote:

I think he’s on the show because he’s “mentally” not healthy. I may be the only one who believes this, but I believe alot of mental “Diseases” are just plain bullshit made up in order to give RX their paychecks. ADD… Bullshit. Bipolar…bullshit.

You’re kidding right? Granted there are hypochondriacs out there who think they’re bipolar or have ADD and such when really they’re just not eating/sleeping properly or have a chemical or nutrient imbalance/deficiency, but to say mental diseases are bs is a stupid thing to say.

I know a 17 year old girl who is bipolar thanks to her parents constant invalidation of her feelings and emotions, so now one minute she’ll be perfectly fine and the next she’ll tell me she’s thinking about whether or not she could use anything in the house to cut herself. It would be nice if she was only kidding but unfortunately she has a serious problem.[/quote]

Apparently it’s not stupid. JLu watch this, I just found it. It shows the BS behind mental ilnesses.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Any disorder he has is probably caused by a lack of proper education about health, lifting, and eating like a man. [/quote]

This is what I was thinking. He seems to be very meticulous about his diet and routine. Too meticulous, yes, but… Imagine he knew half the stuff available on this site?

Imagine this kid saw the G-flux article.

As with most cases, I think this is a case of outdated, untrue information still being taught.

This kid has three things that, if channeled correctly, will get him very far:

• Intelligence
  • Determination
  • Discipline

I wish there was a way someone could reach out to him and turn him onto T-Nation. Maybe someone could even coach him, hell I would do it.

On another note, speaking from experience, eating disorders have really nothing to do with the food itself. I believe even Dr Phil said something about it being a symptom. For instance, it is often about fear of losing control, or using it to feel in-control in one’s life, because he can so exactly control what he eats, if nothing else.

The reasons behind it usually require therapy to address underlying issues which are manifesting itself. The kid is smart - he knows he is doing something harmful. But it’s a compulsion which he feels, and he doesn’t know why necessarily. He has a subconscious force which is leading him to self-destructive behavior.

Whether one suffers from anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder - they all share a common thread: food is hardly what’s important. It’s just what you see and observe. Fix the underlying issues, and the compulsion to undereat/overeat disappears, like flicking a switch.

People are not born with eating disorders. Somewhere along the way, SOMETHING happened.

JLu wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
Sick Rick wrote:

I think he’s on the show because he’s “mentally” not healthy. I may be the only one who believes this, but I believe alot of mental “Diseases” are just plain bullshit made up in order to give RX their paychecks. ADD… Bullshit. Bipolar…bullshit.

I know a 17 year old girl who is bipolar thanks to her parents constant invalidation of her feelings and emotions, so now one minute she’ll be perfectly fine and the next she’ll tell me she’s thinking about whether or not she could use anything in the house to cut herself. It would be nice if she was only kidding but unfortunately she has a serious problem.

Apparently it’s not stupid. JLu watch this, I just found it. It shows the BS behind mental ilnesses.

[/quote]

Interesting, however it still doesn’t explain how people can be so controlled by these apparently ficticious diseases. Call it a disorder, disease, whatever you want, but the simple fact remains that there ARE people out there who simply can’t control themselves. What about the girl I mentioned, I have no reason to believe she’s lying about these things, she’s expressed to me that she doesn’t enjoy being in this situation, so why else would she do it?

Maybe something in her unconcious mind that must be brought to her concious mind before she can effectively deal with it? Maybe she’s weak minded? I don’t know but I do know there are people with issues they can’t help, and trying to say “All mental disorders/diseases are figments of the sufferers imaginations and they’re just pussies who can’t deal” seems like a gross oversimplification to me.