T Nation

This Guy is Cool

I was looking around on youtube for some high rep squat videos and stumbled up on this guy. He is interesting for a few reasons:

1. he seems to have a badass home gym that he pretty much made himself. there is a power rack, but if you look in some videos he’s fashioned many things himself (e.g. using bicycle handlebards affixed to a bar to do rows/high pulls.

2. he trains very intensly. always motivating to watch.

3. he is lifetime natural- NOT THAT IT MATTERS, but you can tell that he’s very impressive flexed, but less so when relaxed (and he’s pretty lean). This seems to be a tell-tale sign of a natural. Again, i just think it’s interesting to see someone that is as strong and dedicated as him and how that looks. I guess he weighs around 191- don’t know his height- and he’s fairly lean.

4. all i can gather from his training methods are sprinkled throughout the comments. he appears to hit his bodyparts very infrequently, but very intensly with what he calls moderate volume-- 2-3 exercises for big muscles (3-4 sets of each, to failure) and 1 for smaller muscles. he says that doing more/better each workout is the key. he uses some drop sets, rest/pause, etc. too.

5. he rides his bike to work every day- that’s how he stays so lean.

he also listens to cool music.

Anways, lots of cool deadlift, squat, etc. videos if anyone is interested.

This is the first one i watched.

is he a lifetime natural?

i would have never known other than he says it in every vid, smh - not impressed.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

i would have never known other than he says it in every vid, smh - not impressed.[/quote]

When posting weightlifting videos on youtube, inevitably people question/comment about that stuff. so, he’s throwing it out there up front. also, if you are a natural and see lifting as pushing yourself to your genetic potential without drugs, then you are proud of that. nothing wrong with using, but nothing wrong with making sure you are perceived how you want to be perceived either.

sorry you didn’t get anything out of it though.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

i would have never known other than he says it in every vid, smh - not impressed.[/quote]

Other than his 20-rep squat at 365, I’m going to have to agree. I mean, yes, the guy’s stronger than the average guy, but he’s definitely not anything two or three years of hard work can’t accomplish.

Anyway, at least he’s busting his in the weight room. I wonder if he works as hard out of it as well.

That’s pretty cool, but I don’t know how anyone can focus on lifting while Cookie Monster is screaming in the background.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
That’s pretty cool, but I don’t know how anyone can focus on lifting while Cookie Monster is screaming in the background.

[/quote]

Here I thought it was pantera…

Sure, the guy in that video is doing a hell of a lot better than 99% of people on the internet, heck, he looks better than I do.

Nonetheless I think it’s a pretty sad state of affairs that that physique is now “inspirational,” heck, i will be their soon.

I thought this was a bodybuilding forum?

[quote]Alex-L wrote:
Sure, the guy in that video is doing a hell of a lot better than 99% of people on the internet, heck, he looks better than I do.

Nonetheless I think it’s a pretty sad state of affairs that that physique is now “inspirational,” heck, i will be their soon.

I thought this was a bodybuilding forum?[/quote]

99% of people on the internet is different than 99% of people on T-Nation.

hes probaly moving more weight than 50-60% of active T-Nation members, thats it.

[quote]Alex-L wrote:

I thought this was a bodybuilding forum?[/quote]

I’m so fucking tired of sentences like your last one. It IS a bodybuilding forum, and the guy is bodybuilding. He built all his own shit and equipment, trains intensly, puts up some good numbers, has great squat form and all people can do is shit on it. I never said his “physique” looked phenomenal by male modeling or bodybuilding stage standards. Lifters around here come in all varieties with different genetics, goals, etc.

The people complaining around here and shitting on everything all the time are the problem.

We have a very small handful of guys who actually compete on stage at any level…the harcore T-Cell for all the “hardcore, true bodybuilders” averages about 2 posts a day and a couple of threads per week.

Fucking-A, try to share with the group some lifting related stuff and a guy who is doing well, but if the guy isn’t squatting 700 and winning Mr. Olympia he’s a worthless faggot and not worth being on one of the 40 open threads on page 1 of the forum.

Oh right, we did have a thread about the Caribbean-born bodybuilder who just did his first show and looks amazing and that thread turned into a dick measuring shit-fest too!

This is getting ridiculous. Sorry, had to vent-should’ve known better.

I like his deadrow idea, I might try that as a new back exercise.

He says that he trains a body part once every 2 weeks, based off the ideas off Mike Mentzer.

He looks pretty good. I wonder if he would be bigger if he trained more frequently?

It’s hard to tell what the average size limit is on natural trainee’s when you never really know who is natural and who isn’t.

I’ll agree with the OP- he is impressive. No, he isn’t hyuuge or anything, but if most people, even most t-nationers, saw him in the gym, they’d give him a measure of respect.

Yes he is really impressive considering his reps/strength, however he is by no means huge. I admire his enthusiasm and creativity! I am not sure though that such infrequent training is the way to go.

*deadrow is exercise that could fatigue lower back severly when doing mod to high reps so problems with trying to keep proper posture could occure.

I’ve seen a couple of these before and I enjoyed them. A guy who trains hard and has some nice ideas on making equipment-what’s not to like?

The fact that I don’t share his training philosophy certainly didn’t stop me enjoying it. And 365 for 20 is good in anyone’s book.

The bro looks solid. I dont ever compare myself to others as some have superior genetics. I have seen dip shits who use poor form, poor diet, etc but their genetics make up for it and will be bigger than some guys whos training and diet are better.

Again never compare yourself to others.

As far as this bro he works his ass off and if he inspires you then so be it bro. I was impressed with his squats. That deep, that weight, for those reps. Damn good!!!

Trextacy,

He’s got a good body. I think people are just extra critical of people who make a dozen or more videos of themselves and put them on youtube. Its kinda cheesy and conceited.

Not to mention him shouting out the drug free thing like he thinks he has the ultimate body. A lot of people’s first reactions are going to be… “He’s not that great”. It’s as simple as that. Presented differently, I think the reactions would be different.

Unfortunately a lot of people think “lifetime drugfree!” and “natural bodybuilding” are excuses to work your ass off in the gym, and then eat like a girl.

I noticed this guy a while ago. And I believe he weighs the same now as he did in '06… Which is sad considering his level of strength. Think of all the muscle he could have built with that if the food had been there rather than trying to maintain abs 24/7…

Posting “LIFETIME DRUG-FREE” in every video title will also bring about the “I think he doth protest too much” type of thinking.

I guess I’m just weak but damn, a double overhand grip w/out straps for 405 x 10 on deadlifts. That’s pretty good in my book, but I guess it’s all relative.

http://marunde-muscle.com/videos/sarge218lbsbw218lbsquatX98reps.wmv

Since you were looking for high-rep squat videos in the first place…

[quote]trextacy wrote:
Alex-L wrote:

I thought this was a bodybuilding forum?

I’m so fucking tired of sentences like your last one. It IS a bodybuilding forum, and the guy is bodybuilding. He built all his own shit and equipment, trains intensly, puts up some good numbers, has great squat form and all people can do is shit on it.

I never said his “physique” looked phenomenal by male modeling or bodybuilding stage standards. Lifters around here come in all varieties with different genetics, goals, etc.

The people complaining around here and shitting on everything all the time are the problem.

We have a very small handful of guys who actually compete on stage at any level…the harcore T-Cell for all the “hardcore, true bodybuilders” averages about 2 posts a day and a couple of threads per week.

Fucking-A, try to share with the group some lifting related stuff and a guy who is doing well, but if the guy isn’t squatting 700 and winning Mr. Olympia he’s a worthless faggot and not worth being on one of the 40 open threads on page 1 of the forum.

Oh right, we did have a thread about the Caribbean-born bodybuilder who just did his first show and looks amazing and that thread turned into a dick measuring shit-fest too!

This is getting ridiculous. Sorry, had to vent-should’ve known better.[/quote]

edit.

btw Iron Orgy DVD coming soon