Third World Squatting

Hi friends,

We all know the benefits of 3rd world squatting. I was wondering how many people here have successfully gone from unable to hold the position for more than a few minutes, to be able to sit for as long as they like in the squat.

I am asking this as I have been doing bodyweight squats with a pole to help in b/w sets and it has helped with my mobility, so I am assuming by improving my 3rd world squat will improve my mobility even more.

Interestingly I was in Taiwan for a few weeks and noticed many examples of 3rd world squatting in the streets.

Thanks in advance.

tweet

I travel on the train in the UK and in the mornings its really busy going into London, so a few months ago i thought sod this i’m not standing up like all the other muppets. The fast train is about 20 minutes journey. I can manage about 10 minutes straight until i need to stand up because my legs go numb and start hurting, by which time we get to a station where people are getting off so i have to stand.

I do get a few looks because its rare to see anyone in the UK do this. I do when ever i can so i can get comfortable in that position. When putting air into tyres, grabbing items of the bottom shelf out shopping. I noticed when i was doing it regular, at first i had to think about squatting rather than bending down, then one day i remember catching myself in a full squat. I started to do it subconsciously!

Ive always had hip and mobility problems, they seemed to have helped me out the past few months. I do them every night when i do my normal mobility routine, sometimes before I squat I’ll get in a front squat with just 135 and hold it in the bottom of the squat for a minute or so to warm up.

My grandmother could maintain that position for 2 hours peeling bean sprouts in her sixties despite already had lower back and hip problems at that time.

I could eat while squatting like that in my early teens. I can’t do it anymore. However, I’ve not noticed any detriments because of not being able to. I honestly don’t see the point unless using them as a warm up/ stretch before exercise.

[quote]djamazon1 wrote:
I travel on the train in the UK and in the mornings its really busy going into London, so a few months ago i thought sod this i’m not standing up like all the other muppets. The fast train is about 20 minutes journey. I can manage about 10 minutes straight until i need to stand up because my legs go numb and start hurting, by which time we get to a station where people are getting off so i have to stand.

I do get a few looks because its rare to see anyone in the UK do this. I do when ever i can so i can get comfortable in that position. When putting air into tyres, grabbing items of the bottom shelf out shopping. I noticed when i was doing it regular, at first i had to think about squatting rather than bending down, then one day i remember catching myself in a full squat. I started to do it subconsciously![/quote]

is that on a London commuter train? That’s be hilarious

What helped me was the couch stretch at least once a day and Defranco’s Limber 11 every morning and night. I have never been able to hold the “3rd word squat” until I started doing this.

I still never back squat below parallel, but my hips feel much better.

When I started I needed something to hold on to in order to “force” my body not to topple over backwards. Now I do it all the time, especially playing with the kids. I think after a good fifteen minutes, though, I’d get all tingly and uncomfortable, though.

I have NOT seen any carryover, however, into squatting or deadlift mobility. But it is useful now that it is comfortable.

–Me

Thanks for the replies my friends.

Interestingly enough it looks like there is no cary over to squat mobility which is a little disappointing to hear.

tweet

You don’t want to be able to do this for a long period of time, actually.

Look at hold Asian grandmas. They have crooked backs for a reason. It’s very difficult to hold an actual good squat for any lengthy period of time.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]djamazon1 wrote:

I do get a few looks because its rare to see anyone in the UK do this. I do when ever i can so i can get comfortable in that position. When putting air into tyres, grabbing items of the bottom shelf out shopping. I noticed when i was doing it regular, at first i had to think about squatting rather than bending down, then one day i remember catching myself in a full squat. I started to do it subconsciously![/quote]

is that on a London commuter train? That’s be hilarious[/quote]

Yes mate. The overground going from Hertforshire. Im never able to get a seat. I must say that it is a very smooth ride though. But i would rather face the elements on my motorbike and save money. Plus its more fun! i have more interaction with people on the roads. Everyone just sits there looking at there phone these days.

[quote]magick wrote:

Look at hold Asian grandmas. They have crooked backs for a reason. It’s very difficult to hold an actual good squat for any lengthy period of time.[/quote]

Uhm. That is some really twisted logic. Asian grandmothers squat so they have crooked backs when they get old. As compared to more reasonable theories like not enough calcium and osteoporosis - something which isn’t limited to squatting Asian grandmothers. I am bald. I shit sitting on a toilet. Thus, sitting on a toilet makes you bald.

I think squatting is great for mobility, and useful to be able to do. I just don’t think there is much carry-over for squatting for weight.

–Me

[quote]kravi wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

Look at hold Asian grandmas. They have crooked backs for a reason. It’s very difficult to hold an actual good squat for any lengthy period of time.[/quote]

Uhm. That is some really twisted logic. Asian grandmothers squat so they have crooked backs when they get old. As compared to more reasonable theories like not enough calcium and osteoporosis - something which isn’t limited to squatting Asian grandmothers. I am bald. I shit sitting on a toilet. Thus, sitting on a toilet makes you bald.

I think squatting is great for mobility, and useful to be able to do. I just don’t think there is much carry-over for squatting for weight.

–Me

[/quote]
From my experience I would definitely agree with your last statement. I have zero issues squatting (front and back) way below parallel but when I tried to work on using squatting as a resting position it was pretty uncomfortable. A position I could handle holding for a few minutes comfortably playing with my son but not something I would want to hold for 15-20 minutes waiting for a bus or sitting to eat dinner.

I saw a lot of carry over to my back squat mobility, but I couldn’t back squat very well when I started this quest. That’s why I do Limber 11. Helped me with both. For the personal goal of the third world squat I just added in some bodyweight squats in the mornings and throughout the day. I think repetition is key just to get your body used to it.