T Nation

Third Exercise for Chest Day?

hi!
if your chest day consists of 3 movements for chest. and your first and second exercise is pressing exercises would your third exercise be a fly or a press?

here is what I have planned:
Flat bench bb 3x6-8
Dips 2x6-8 +1dropset
incline db press or incline cable fly 2x8-10 *

*oh yeah. i like the exercises i have listed im just wondering which exercise should i choose to be my third exercise?

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but either of those would be fine choices. If you go with the incline dumbbell press, it's good because it's much different than the flat barbell bench or dip (minimizing redundancy). If you go with the fly, it would work to target and finish off the pecs specifically. Plenty of people do fine going with either one (presuming you're training for size).

Looks like you're using fairly low volume (that's not necessarily a bad thing). What's the rest of your training routine look like?

are those just work sets, or is it 1 warmup, and 1 workset?

if its just 2 total sets per exercise, i'd say do all 4 exercises, its still low volume.

if there are more warmups, i would keep in a fly movement all the time, maybe change what angle you do them.

If you want your pecs pumped....try this for your final exercise:

Do dumbbell pullovers with a weight that keeps you in the 10-12 rep range:

shapefit.com/chest-exercises-bent-arm-dumbbell-pullovers.html

After your last rep keep the dumbbell pressed up high over your chest....then do short presses off your chest...20-25 reps...as fast as you can. When you press, extend your arms out as far as they can reach. Try to minimize your triceps on these and press with your pecs as hard and fast as you can. I do 3 sets.

yes i use low volume but its a part of my plan for my 5day rotation.

it'll be like this:
day1- chest,biceps
day2- lower body
day3- delts,triceps
day4- back, rear delts
day5- rest
repeat.

so low volume because of the frequency. but im not sure if ill go for this 5day rotation or a 5split. i see advantage and disadvantages in both, but on a 5day split more volume would be better i guess.. any input or preference on which i should choose?

i appreciate all input in the tread btw : )

they are working sets.
yeah, im just trying to do everything very simple, so i thought one move for each angle could work.

definitively have to try those dumbell pullover/presses! thanks man

I'll second the suggestion of doing both. 9 sets of ~8 reps is not high volume. Plus, the upper pecs usually lag the mid and lower portions, so you can head that off before it becomes a problem.

ok. so upp the volume for chest. but especially on incline movements?
but what yall think? 5day rotation or 5split? one is more about frequency and the other is more volumish.

High volume is the way to go....you don't have the capabilities (its not your fault..its a nervous system adaption over time) to tap into the HTMU from the very first rep...so for anyone not advanced....its just not worth it!

ok.
i've upped the volume on every muscle group now. but ofcourse i'll make more changes when I fell like something aint working.
ty all

Paying extra attention to incline movements is kinda based on a generalization. Most guys are lacking in upper chest development.

Do them both. Pick one to start with and then rotate them out every six to eight weeks.

yeah,ok.

i do lack upper chest i guess. but what i really do is lacking chest, the whole chest. but i have just been training a bit serious for 2months. played soccer the first 6months or so.

In that case, I really don't know if a 5 day split is what you need... have you checked out starting strength? I know a whole lot of beginners have gotten great results from it. BUT, if this is working really well for you there's no reason to switch it.

i totally know what u mean.
i've acctually had a gym membership 1year now. got it by the soccer team. but all we did was training technique in the lifts, and bill starr 5x5.

But i have done fullbody and upper/lower. want to try something new. I do think a 5dayrotation is the best for me. because gradually i am going away from frequency and towards volume. nobody knows till i try it out. : )

i totally know what u mean.
i've acctually had a gym membership 1year now. got it by the soccer team. but all we did was training technique in the lifts, and bill starr 5x5.

But i have done fullbody and upper/lower. want to try something new. I do think a 5dayrotation is the best for me. because gradually i am going away from frequency and towards volume. nobody knows till i try it out. : )

Havent Read all the other posts but, just something to think about.....pre-fatigue, if you use a small "isolation" movement like the fly, for only about 10 reps for light-weight, then move on to pressing exercises.

Me personally i enjoy chest day as probaly my favorite next to legs, but my work out looks like this:

Warm up(push ups just enpugh to feel warmer, usually around 40-50, also i switch with incline flyes, and flat flyes)

then

incline(30-45degree)bench with eitherdb or bb, 4x6

Flat bench 5x5,3x8, 4x3(for 95% of 1rm)

Squeeze press 3x8, 4x6

then finally db pullovers(gotta love them at the end) 3x10,
just tryin to help.

yeah, pre-exhaustion sounds good.
are u seeing good results with it?

Yea i have i have gotten a great amount of growth from it, plus you said you wanted more upper chest, then my routine would be great for you i am currently after the same thing.

I think i forgot to mention, but beside pre-fatigue, you could do a combe of the 2 press/fly

Neutral grip press(concentric) eccentric fly
3x10 is good too.

stick with the flat bench n dips and add more volume

i think flies should be left alone unless you can bench at least 1.5x bw