Thinking of Trying Defranco's Program

I am thinking of trying Joe Defranco’s program. Any opinions are welcomed?

i had good results w/ WSSB, put about 20 lbs on my DL 3RM, and about the same on my chin up 1RM

I got bigger all over, especially my chest and shoulders. My bench went up about 15 pounds. But my lower body didn’t budge. I think I need more frequent lower body workouts. But I think his stuff is great.

I thought it was great too, but eventually you gotta do some dynamic work. It’s great for adding muscle though.

[quote]BradS wrote:
I got bigger all over, especially my chest and shoulders. My bench went up about 15 pounds. But my lower body didn’t budge. I think I need more frequent lower body workouts. But I think his stuff is great. [/quote]

By all means do two lower body workouts a week; model the missing lower body workout after the rep-bench day, and make adjustments as personal preferences see fit. The reason for the one-a-week lower body workouts is that conditioning for a sport (4-5 sessions or more a week) taxes the lower body to a degree that you cannot really do two full workouts a week, in-season.

Also, as others have said, incorporate dynamic work eventually. For a 200 pound man, I would give the arbitrary numbers of a 275-300 bench and a 350-400 squat before dynamic work is really useful. It’s actually more dependant on your SPEED, but this is impossible and pointless to monitor in those with little experience, rapidly gaining muscle mass.

DeFranco’s program is very, very, very good for athletes. use it.