Thinking of Quitting

Comments? What is it exactly that you’re looking for? Sympathy? Well, you should know you’re not getting that here…Motivation? Well, you should know that the only person who can motivate you is yourself…
You’ve made your choices in life and that’s all there is to it. You’re enjoying your family…are we supposed to say “give that up”? I just don’t get the point of the post…?

[quote]old powerlifter wrote:
That’s what my doc told me but I used to take ephedra like it was candy daily until just recetnly and I find it hard to believe that anything that artifically ramps up your metabolism doesn’t affect your thyroid. I’m on thyroid meds now. I have no idea bout my test levels.[/quote]

It sounds like you just went on meds? If this is the case, it could take a while for the doc to dial in your needed dosage. It took about 2 years for them to get it right for me. It’s basically trial and error and you have to keep getting bloodwork routinely. With me, I felt like shit UNTIL I started lifting again. Try to get some exercise no matter what it is and let the doctors get the meds right. But you will need to be diligent and monitor your own situation because the docs don’t always do what’s best for you, whether it’s because they just don’t have a lot of experience with hypothyroidism or some other reason.

Good luck,
DB

[quote]Yorbabarbell wrote:

Here is a pic of me toying with a rock just about twice your weight…i lift to protect me and my family
[/quote]

Is your family often attacked by rocks;)

[quote]
And by the way-thyroid medication is like 5 dollars for 100 days supply-so you have no excuses. [/quote]

I’m not sure about that. I have insurance and its setting me back about $15/month for armour thyroid (the best out there), but then, it’s my health so I pay it.

DB

You should start to focus on more aspects of life.

Too many people get too much one-sided about weight-training and exercise, and eventually they grow tired of it.

This sounds good, do something with your family, pick up a few new hobbies.

Who knows, you might grow back into it.

Weight training should be one aspect of your life, not the sole one.

Just give up and become mediocre like the other cattle. Get fatter. Get weaker. Get more unhealthy. Start eating shitty food too. It’s the American way.

Wow! Jack “stole” my post. Dirty dog!

OP, the pattern is VERY evident. I’d also like to ask, would you consider yourself of a “product” mentality or a “process” mentality? Can you lift without having some outside event or match to spur you on? Finding satisfaction just in the training itself is very rewarding. For PL stuff, I really like Pavel Tsastsouline, and consequently Jack Reape’s stuff. Learn to properly wave your intensity and volume and avoid failure. This may be an issue for you as you sound like a serious “type A”. But, you’ll be happier, healthier, and perhaps even stronger, if you take a more balanced approach. Remember, the candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long. You’ve just used the wrong approach from the sound of it. The sledgehammer approach will burn you out FAST.

Best,
DH

[quote]jackreape wrote:
old powerlifter,

Don’t take this wrong, but it looks like you overdid it as an endurance athlete, then overdid it as a powerlifter, and overdid it on ephedrine. See a pattern? So you took a little break and now you don’t want to go back to the gym. No surprise, you would seem to be a bit compulsive (like most of us) and you now have some perspective. You are lucky!

Make a change. Get some bands or weights or kettlebells or tires or stones at home and just have fun. Get your wife involved. Wake up feeling good everyday. You have to ride this body to the end, so take better care of it. Lots of water, gluco/chondroitin, some hard waling or hiking. Have FUN, and be late once in a while!

jack
an old powerlifter too[/quote]

Hey powerlifter,
I know how you feel, and I concur with several other folks with the sentiment: adjust your training, but you do not have to quit!

I have struggled with this in the past. I am not an old guy by any means, but the mere thought that ONE DAY time will catch up to me and I will not be able to run as fast, lift as much, or recover as quickly has left me almost depressed.

Why struggle to make gains if time and entropy will snatch them away cruelly?

Here is what helped me:
It is the journey that is important. Lifting makes us better by the result, yes, but also in the DOING. Most people do not train, and that makes us DIFFERENT. I like that.

Be encouraged!

Winning is contagious. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi

The same can be said about good health habits (going to the gym).

Try some (gasp) HIT style or old Hardgainer routines, 2x a week for 45 minutes… whatever your shoulders will allow.

Don’t go cold turkey. My guess is you will regret it.

Sorry to hear how you are feeling, and it could be burn out from lifting, but you mentioned that it started awhile back when work became more stressfull, so is it possible that depression could have something to do with it? Just thought I would mention it. My father, who is 53, just recently went on zoloft for depression. He has suffered from chronic back pain for years and has always taken meds to help the pain. However, recently he noticed lack of desire to do much of anything that he normally enjoys and it was even affecting his work. Now that he is on meds he is doing much better.

Many things could be the cause, but it might be worth talking with your Doctor and see if they can help you pin point the problem.

I hope you don’t give up lifting altogether, since it is obvious that you enjoyed it for many years. Like many mentioned, find a way to make it more enjoyable and alter your workouts to fit your current lifestyle.

Best of luck!

T-Vixen Mod

oldpowerlifter,

1. listen to your heart, soul and body. If they all say you’ve had enough. lay off it for a while… rest, relax and enjoy your life and family. you only get one.

obsessiveness is all too common in the iron game… what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger… but sometimes, we forget that we grow (and get stronger) during rest periods.

steve reeves (1950s hercules actor)apparently had some burn-out as he got older, and found, heavy compound workouts once or twice per week helped in increase mass and strength.

1. thyroid problems… likely cause: america’s obsession with fluoride. it’s a toxic, non-nutrient that has been directly linked to hypothyroidism. do some research. ephedra in the amounts consumed would not likely have caused this, so don’t blame yourself!

hope you get some rest, perspective and on the road to recovery… i’m sure you’ll be under the squat rack in no time.

cheers-

Maybe the reason I’m taking up new things at age 56, is I have just quit for a few months or even a few years. I was a very good runner and got tired of it. Then, the urge would come back and I’d get back into it. Started this whole lifting and throwing thing back in August 2002. Difference this time is I keep getting interested in something new. Went from fooling around with the discus, to a whole weight pentathlon.

Luckily, I know this guy who claims to know a little about training. Like he said, if I just do deadlifts, farmer’s walks, waiter’s walks and dumbbell snatches, I’ll be able to keep doing this to age 80. Don’t beat yourself up, when you feel like it, try starting over, but different.

OPL, suggest you read “A day in the life of Dave Tate” on this forum. Might give you some inspiration.

[quote]Hieronymous wrote:
oldpowerlifter,

1. listen to your heart, soul and body. If they all say you’ve had enough. lay off it for a while… rest, relax and enjoy your life and family. you only get one.

[/quote]
Excellent advice. Especially for somebody who may have shoulder issues.

'Lifter, if you don’t mind being asked, just how old are you?

I think you may have issues beyond powerlifting you need to address. Take care.

I agree with some of the comments already posted - if you don’t feel like doing it any more then just don’t do it. Some people take lifting like it’s religeon, they think if you’re not one of them, then you’re not happy or complete. Don’t give yourself that kind of pressure that you HAVE to go back and lift. Like some one wrote already, you might grow back into it later on when you’re ready. It’s really not enjoyble if you have to force yourself. Even sex becomes lame if it’s a job.

OL, something to consider is that it seems some folks have hormonal/metabolic backlashes if they take a full break for an extended period of time. You body is so used to the stimulation that it can over correct and make you feel pretty bad. Seen it in two guys at my gym. Felt awful and lethargic all the time.

DH

[quote]oriensus wrote:
I agree with some of the comments already posted - if you don’t feel like doing it any more then just don’t do it. Some people take lifting like it’s religeon, they think if you’re not one of them, then you’re not happy or complete. Don’t give yourself that kind of pressure that you HAVE to go back and lift. Like some one wrote already, you might grow back into it later on when you’re ready. It’s really not enjoyble if you have to force yourself. Even sex becomes lame if it’s a job.[/quote]

[quote]old powerlifter wrote:

Ephedrine has no effects on your thyroid. Are you experiencing hypothyroidism? That alone could explain your lack of motivation along with a possible decrease in testosterone.<<

That’s what my doc told me but I used to take ephedra like it was candy daily until just recetnly and I find it hard to believe that anything that artifically ramps up your metabolism doesn’t affect your thyroid. I’m on thyroid meds now. I have no idea bout my test levels.[/quote]

Ephedra does gradually and significantly reduce adrenaline sensitivity which is a major cause of depression.

You maybe depressed. In regards to your shoulders and ankles hurting. It is probably your form. I have been squatting for 35 years and have never done them correctly until I read Pavle?s Naked Warrior. When I started squatting someone told me to put my heals on a 2x4 .That made me stand on the balls of my feet. It caused me a lot of problems with my squat I would always do ? squats.

Also when I did benches some how I was letting my elbows to ride too high instead of keeping them down and work my Tri?s correctly. The book has helped my form considerably. I wish you luck.

Take care.

A real powerlifter would never think like you do-but you only squatted a bit more than two times bodyweight-so you are not that much of a powerlifter. As soon as you ask for motivation you have lost it -how sad.

Here is a pic of me toying with a rock just about twice your weight…i lift to protect me and my family-and to show my kids life is about finding and living your passions. And by the way-thyroid medication is like 5 dollars for 100 days supply-so you have no excuses. [/quote]

Really??? A 515 dead and 425 squat puts him in the TOP 20 USA Powerlifting rankings @ his age!!!

Shoulder problems i know about, try Active Release Techniques which has been recommended by other “real” powerlifters like Dave Tate. www.activerelease.com If “real” powerlifters have the overall health appearance of these guys, good job quitting that!!! But I doubt @ 185lbs u had a huge gut !! Haven’t heard of a crime being stopped cuz the perp got hit with a 400 lb rock either!!

We ALL go through “why am I doing this”?? and as long as it doesn’t mess up your priorities God,Family,Work–in that order, working out is a GOOD thing. Ease back in, set SPECIFIC, ATTAINABLE goals and you’l be chomping @ the bit to do what YOU can, not what others do or what you did before.

Good Luck and God Bless.