T Nation

Thinking of Quitting a Sport

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
I think you guys misunderstood. I miss lifting as in i can’t wait for the season to be over and get back in the weightroom on a daily basis. [/quote]

I quit point wrestling for that exact reason.

I didn’t regret it then but I kind of do now. I wasn’t learning anything from my coaches but I also had a shitty competitive mindset. I was physically present during practice but very rarely was I ever mentally present.

Ultimately it is up to you but I’m just gonna say it’s a VERY common thing for old farts to look back on their youth and have regrets. It doesn’t mean if they had stuck with their sport or hobby they would’ve been better off either, though.

I would suggest talking to your coach, asking to take a week off to get your head back on straight, and then see how you feel after that. If your coach is cool about it you won’t feel so pressured and within a week you’ll definitely know whether or not you want to stick with Lacrosse or not.

If you really want to do better in lax then x2 on having a one on one talk with your coach.

Lifting only is fine, it’d also free up more time for you to focus on stuff that’ll pay off much better like grades, your standardized test scores, and working.

Talk to your coaches, you’ll be surprised how they feel about you (they either are indifferent or like you). Most coaches don’t care enough about their players to not like them (they need to see you do what will keep them in a job), and they want to win and keep their job at the same time.

You’re taking your petty emotions and placing them on your coach. This is likely a grown man with a family who is not looking to make friends with kids, but is looking to provide for his family.

I do understand that i am being a little bitch about it but I have my reasons. I do not plan to play lacrosse in college so right not it just seems pointless for me to continue playing. That said i don’t know if i want to let go of the sport just yet.

My nutrition has been pretty shitty lately but this week i bumped my calories up so well see. I am giving it another week and seeing if anything changes with my placement. If not then its not worth my time.

question before i give you my story…why wont you play football?

If you are an athlete like you say you are and are better than the kids starting in front of you, then you should be able to play another sport

If you don’t feel happy with what you’re doing now, you may as well leave. No point doing something you dislike.

I trained Judo for over a decade, started very young and, in my mid teens I wanted to try other disciplines. My Sensei (trainer) wouldn’t let me leave when I told him I was fucking fed up with the whole shit. But my mind was made up.

I never regretted my decision.

I don’t play football because i have no interest in it. I am not saying i am better then every kid on the damn team. What i am saying is that i know i am better then 2 players ahead of me and it just so happens they play football and our D coach is a football coach. This isn’t the only reason but its one of them.

I do appreciate all the advice i have received so far and am really doing some thinking and will hopefully have my decision by the end of the week.

tell your coach to get in goal and try and stop your shots…

Yeah kid you should def quit. You know what they say “When the going gets tuff, get the fuck outta there and let the real men take over”

You sound like a cry baby/pussy. IF those 2 kids infront of you really do suck and you ARE infact better than them…well fucking prove it and that will be that. Have you even played a game yet?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Yeah kid you should def quit. You know what they say “When the going gets tuff, get the fuck outta there and let the real men take over”

You sound like a cry baby/pussy. IF those 2 kids infront of you really do suck and you ARE infact better than them…well fucking prove it and that will be that. Have you even played a game yet? [/quote]

No need to insult the kid, hes having a hard enough time figuring things out as it is. All I can say is OP do what you feel is right and in the long run hope its the right decision, but dont be surprised if you end up missing it.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
I don’t play football because i have no interest in it. I am not saying i am better then every kid on the damn team. What i am saying is that i know i am better then 2 players ahead of me and it just so happens they play football and our D coach is a football coach. This isn’t the only reason but its one of them.
[/quote]

Coaches play favorites, but they aren’t going to bench you if you’re the best person on the field. Getting mad because there are 2 kids playing more who are slightly better than you is 1) a waste of time 2) something that’s going to happen all throughout your life.

If you’re serious about lacrosse, put in extra practice time to the point where you become unbenchable. If you’re just playing because your friends do, who cares if you don’t get to start over 2 kids that are slightly worse than you?? If you’re just playing for fun, then just play for fun.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Yeah kid you should def quit. You know what they say “When the going gets tuff, get the fuck outta there and let the real men take over”

You sound like a cry baby/pussy. IF those 2 kids infront of you really do suck and you ARE infact better than them…well fucking prove it and that will be that. Have you even played a game yet? [/quote]
lol

Keep playing.

When your old and worn out like Uncle Bird, then you can spend 4-5 days a week in the gym. Nothing compares to winning a championship with your buddies. You still have the chance in team sport for individual brilliance. Look at your difficulties with the selection process as a challenge. Shut-up, train and conquer.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Just put shit in perspective. You’re a sophmore in high school. That means if you stay in and play you only have, what? 2.5 years left to play a sport competitively with a bunch of high school buddies. If talking to your coaches does nothing for you at least you can say fuck it and just go out as JV this year and have fun. Lift your ass off over the summer go back and make the varsity team for 2 years. Learn how to work in lifting. It’s possible. Eat like a motherfucker. Use your age to your advantage. I know when i was your age i could eat like a motherfucker and it was never enough.

2.5 years out of a possible 80+ more years is fuck all dude. If the coaches really are fucking you around, you’re not just reading them wrong, then fuck em. They’re high school athletics coaches. Go out, have fun and show them they can’t get you down.

If, on the other hand, you really do not like the sport anymore then get out.

I really appreciate the help guys. Putting it into perspective makes me think that i wont be able to play sports the rest of my life so might as well make the most of it now. I’m going to work my ass off and prove i’m better then those kids and hopefully see some decent varsity time. Thanks again.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Yeah kid you should def quit. You know what they say “When the going gets tuff, get the fuck outta there and let the real men take over”

You sound like a cry baby/pussy. IF those 2 kids infront of you really do suck and you ARE infact better than them…well fucking prove it and that will be that. Have you even played a game yet? [/quote]
Somebody musta splashed some water on you Phoenix bitch! No need to get all crazy on this kid’s ass. Plus the way I read it, that was just one of many factors. Seemed to me the main factor was his love of lifting, and lacrosse keeping him from that. Nothing pussified about missing pushing the iron.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
I really appreciate the help guys. Putting it into perspective makes me think that i wont be able to play sports the rest of my life so might as well make the most of it now. I’m going to work my ass off and prove i’m better then those kids and hopefully see some decent varsity time. Thanks again.[/quote]
Alright, chibi. Go get it.

I agree with the talking to your coach stuff. I realize you don’t like him and he doesn’t seem to like you. Before I continue, keep in mind that when you’re young and dealing with someone older (like in your situation with a player/coach relationship) it is pretty easy for one party to think the other doesn’t care for them in error. He may think highly of you and have very specific reasons for treating you the way he does. What if he knows you’re better and is trying to push you to show it by putting you on the 3rd line? I’m not saying he is, just giving one of many possibilities that he may not tell you directly and you wouldn’t know if you don’t communicate enough with him.

Having a heart to heart with him and unloading your thoughts could do both of you a lot of good, too. Being honest and upfront is a good idea in most situations.

Also, you could talk to other people like your parents/older sibling/friends/assistant coaches/teachers who are aware of the situation. You could probably get a wealth of good advice from people who know more about your situation than we ever could that you may not be tapping into.

Ultimately, if you stay level-headed, weigh your options, and really spend serious thought on it, I’m sure you’ll make the right decision.

I played high level hockey for a few years and eventually quit so I can relate…

"Things holding me back.

  • My teamates are my best friends. Sure i have some friends outside of lax but the memories iv’e mad during lax season with these guys is something i can’t replace

-I feel like i am letting everyone around me down

  • I feel like a little part in me still loves the game and i will most the thrill of competition.

I don’t really know what to do. Hopping i could get some advice. "

Your team mates are your friends, but you have to do what’s right for YOU not for them. Eventually you’ll have new team mates as well, they won’t be around forever. Second point relates directly to the first. If you feel you still love the game, maybe you’re still in a rut and you should stick it out for a while longer.

It’s up to you in the long run, I quit hockey while I was being scouted by NHL teams and don’t regret it but that’s because I fucking HATE hockey and team sports in general. Just take your time, make the right decision.

[quote]doogie wrote:
You won’t regret sticking it out with your teammates, but odds are you’ll look back and regret quitting.[/quote]

Now I’m not encouraging this kid to quit, mind you, but people used to tell me this ALL THE TIME when I wanted to quit high school football (mostly because my heart wasn’t in it and like the OP, I liked lifting better than my sport.)

And in the 12 years since, not once did I ever regret quitting when I did.

I loved football but I had my fill and was miserable, and I knew that that particular time in my life was over. Never have regretted it.

That being said, be sure that this is what you want, because you get one shot at high school and the sports it has, and that’s it.