Thinking of Quitting a Sport

Hey guys, I know this may not be the best place for this but i have gotten good advice from T Nation about things lifting and non lifting related.

Alright, so i am a sophomore right a now and thinking about quitting lacrosse. Here are my reasons.

• Program hired a new coach, i dislike him and i sure as hell know he dislikes me

• Not happy with where i am being placed right now (games have not started yet but i won’t likely be seeing any significant varsity time I am line 3 varsity right know and line 1 JV).

• defensive coach is putting kids who are a lot worse then me above me because they play football and i don’t. I know for a fact i am better then these kids. I beat them in all 3 test we had to do and outwork them in practice every fucking day.

• I feel like a train wreck every day and miss lifting daily.

Things holding me back.

• My teamates are my best friends. Sure i have some friends outside of lax but the memories iv’e mad during lax season with these guys is something i can’t replace

-I feel like i am letting everyone around me down

• I feel like a little part in me still loves the game and i will most the thrill of competition.

I don’t really know what to do. Hopping i could get some advice.

Sorry for all the spelling errors its late and i typed it quick.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:

• I feel like a train wreck every day and miss lifting daily.
    [/quote]
    This in a nutshell. If you miss anything in a sport it shows a lack of effort. Sure you could be a monster on defense skill wise, but if those football guys are lifting more, running more and not feeling or acting like a train wreck they will pick up on the skills. Have a frank talk with your coach. Ask him what HE wants to see out of you and how he thinks you fit into the program and how he wants you to progress.

Quitting wont help if this is what you love to do, if you quit while you still enjoy the competition and the thrill of getting on the field and letting loose you will inevitably regret it. Knuckle down get to lifting and get your focus back. You’ve played this sport for some amount of years and in the beginning it was probably always fun to you if it wasn’t why else would you keep at it?

Have you checked you’re eating and sleeping first? Making sure that’s covered before, you don’t have to be big or strong at all for lacrosse FYI… My cousin was 2nd in the east coast division, residing in PA and got a full ride and scholarship as a result… He was 6ft 165 pds… Pretty quick and agile, and insane skills but that’s what set him apart from the rest, the technique and finesse he had.

I think you guys misunderstood. I miss lifting as in i can’t wait for the season to be over and get back in the weightroom on a daily basis.

Pretty easy choice imo. Lacrosse is gay. Lift weights every day.

You won’t regret sticking it out with your teammates, but odds are you’ll look back and regret quitting.

[quote]doogie wrote:
You won’t regret sticking it out with your teammates, but odds are you’ll look back and regret quitting.[/quote]

I agree with this

One thing I regret from my young athletic days is lacking the ability go go and talk with my coaches like an adult. If you can figure out how to do that in a humble mature manner I think it could benefit you greatly.

You need to ask yourself if this is what you really want

Are you going to let a coach determine your worth on the field?

How about you make it obvious beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are better than those who are starting ahead of you.

Many high school kids over-inflate their ability and chalk up someone else starting to nepotism. I know, I did the same thing.

If you want to play lacrosse, you finish your season. You do EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING in your power in the offseason to become the best.

Are you willing to give up high school activities, hanging out with friends on the weekends, drinking, chasing skirts etc, all in the pursuit of getting faster, stronger, and better skilled?

Are you willing to watch footage of top people every day, work on agility drills after school, lift and condition day in and day out?

If you are willing to do that, then stick with it and you will rise to the top. If not, either quit, or be content with mediocrity.

It is your Sophmore year, relax, you have time.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Pretty easy choice imo. Lacrosse is gay. Lift weights every day.[/quote]
x2 lol

Ya…give up when the going gets hard and things aren’t going your way. That’s the way you’re supposed to do it!

I didn’t get a release from my team because my coach was an absolute dickhead. Had to settle for playing AA hockey. But what I did was I played 2 years up, worked my bag off and eventually made it to a D1 school on a full scholarship.

If you love it, you’ll work for it. It’s not for everyone though.

Sometimes quitting is the best option.

If you aren’t getting the value you expect out of it and don’t foresee that changing get out now.

If they are truly your friends they’ll understand

Do you want to play in college? If so, you’re going to have to tough it out, this experience will make you a better athlete in the long run and stronger mentally. If you perform in matches the coach will have to recognise you eventually.

If you feel like a train wreck reevaluate your training nutrition, peri workout supps. maybe invest in some anaconda products. How is your diet, could you up your protein etc. -at your age you should be hammering down every last bit of clean food you can get your hands on.

[quote]minman50 wrote:

Quitting wont help if this is what you love to do, if you quit while you still enjoy the competition and the thrill of getting on the field and letting loose you will inevitably regret it. Knuckle down get to lifting and get your focus back. You’ve played this sport for some amount of years and in the beginning it was probably always fun to you if it wasn’t why else would you keep at it?
[/quote]

Loving to do something in itself isn’t always a good reason to continue.

In baseball there are tons of career minor league guys making little to no salary who have no chance of ever making it to the major leagues. If they’re lucky their careers peak with a cup of coffee at the major league level. The best thing for many of these guys is to realize they’re not going anywhere with the sport and to move on with their lives.

On top of that, from the OP, I do not get the impression at all that he loves the lacrosse lifestyle.

My point being, there are definite upsides to quitting that must be weighed against staying the course.

You could always finish the season and reevaluate at the end of it. If you still feel a certain way towards your sport then quit. It’s not right for you and not fair to your teammates if you approach the sport being drained and not wanting to be there. Inevitably that will effect your performance.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

[/quote]

In baseball there are tons of career minor league guys making little to no salary who have no chance of ever making it to the major leagues. If they’re lucky their careers peak with a cup of coffee at the major league level. The best thing for many of these guys is to realize they’re not going anywhere with the sport and to move on with their lives.

On top of that, from the OP, I do not get the impression at all that he loves the lacrosse lifestyle.

My point being, there are definite upsides to quitting that must be weighed against staying the course. [/quote]

love > money

IMO anyways, but agreed you do need to make a living somehow (marry rich muthafuckaaaa).

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

[/quote]

My point being, there are definite upsides to quitting that must be weighed against staying the course. [/quote]

love > money

IMO anyways, but agreed you do need to make a living somehow (marry rich muthafuckaaaa).
[/quote]

I think OP has some idea that hes not making his future with lacrosse. Granted I have no idea how big pro lacrosse is but I doubt its that sizable. He even said himself he still has some small feeling that he enjoys competing. Love of anything is good enough reason to continue IMO.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
I think you guys misunderstood. I miss lifting as in i can’t wait for the season to be over and get back in the weightroom on a daily basis. [/quote]

I quit Lacrosse for different reasons but I still lifted through the time Iw as playing, you just gotta rest a bit and look after your legs.

Saying that, UK lacrosse is nothing on US lacrosse.

I quit because I didnt enjoy the half assed training sessions, the stupid location of training and the fact it took 5 hours out of my day at night just before the working week begun.

Then the socials and the womens lacrosse team, if there is one thing that I hated more on a social it was the women. Boy did they piss me off.

I’ve also quit cheerleading now, I felt really under appreciated whilst these two other guys were fawned over and loved, because they talked more than me. lmfao!

They’re alright but the girls on the team are just…urgh. Waste of my time really.

I’m glad I dont have to do competitions with it anymore, waste of money and I sat on my ass bored to hell just waiting for the results and listening to women blab on about useless shit and hear crap music all day from the other teams.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]minman50 wrote:

[/quote]

Upside to quitting something you wont be playing outside of college/uni?

• More money
  • Learn something much harder over many more years
  • Actually enjoy it rather than having to conform to the jock twattish lifestyle