Thinking of Enlisting in the Army

Does anyone have any advice?

Haven’t gotten any bites in the job market since I graduated in December and I want to do something that will set me up to do something once I get back into civilian life.

I’m highly considering doing something in the IT area, either with the satellites or a multichannel line operator or something like that, and picking up some certifications along the way.

Any advice?

I hear the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are hiring.

If you go into the military with a plan, you can’t go wrong with the experience. It can open a lot of doors for you down the road, not to mention giving you the opportunity to have a positive impact on the world.

As a former Naval Officer, I would sway people toward the Air Force if they were interested in more IT related work. The AF handles the bulk of that type of work.

Not sure, when you say graduated, if you mean college or high school, but if it’s college, perhaps you want to consider the officer route, i.e. OCS.

Either way, it’s not a bad decision, especially considering the economic climate. Good luck.

I think joining the military is a great thing. It gets you out from home and gives you some actual life experience. If you’re looking for schooling revolving around the IT area, I would personally go Navy instead of Army. Navy schools are some of the best, though I don’t know much about Army schools. You could also talk to other branches. Just take their ASVAB and see what you’re qualified to get into. No commitment required to take a couple tests.

[quote]Jason Lee wrote:
I think joining the military is a great thing. It gets you out from home and gives you some actual life experience. If you’re looking for schooling revolving around the IT area, I would personally go Navy instead of Army. Navy schools are some of the best, though I don’t know much about Army schools. You could also talk to other branches. Just take their ASVAB and see what you’re qualified to get into. No commitment required to take a couple tests.[/quote]

Got a 98 on my ASVAB, which after talking to the army recruiter means I can get into anything as long as it’s available.

Thanks for the advice.

No offense but going into the army or marines is just retarded in my eyes unless you go to fight. Go Navy, but honestly Air Force if your not looking at a combat position, the quality of life is way better.

Also, personally I wouldn’t recommend the IT field, its pretty flooded and cert’s and experience or not you may need to get a 4 year degree to pick up a job.

Nursing would be good if you could handle it, but do what sounds fun to you, the military can be great for 4 years, or hell.

Here are some stories from a tech guy in the Air Force, these are pretty hilarious.

http://www.bigredkitty.net/category/airman-howell/

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
No offense but going into the army or marines is just retarded in my eyes unless you go to fight. Go Navy, but honestly Air Force if your not looking at a combat position, the quality of life is way better.

Also, personally I wouldn’t recommend the IT field, its pretty flooded and cert’s and experience or not you may need to get a 4 year degree to pick up a job.

Nursing would be good if you could handle it, but do what sounds fun to you, the military can be great for 4 years, or hell.[/quote]

Yea dude I already have a degree.

They also had some openings for Imagery Analyst and some other stuff in intelligence. Would those be good fields?

The other reason I’m considering the Army is that they’ll pay off all my student loans ($30,000) whereas the Air Force only pays up to $10,000.

If you already have a degree, I would go OCS with the navy. Officers make some good money, they don’t have to deal with all the bullshit that the enlisted guys do, and quality of life is pretty good. Plus you might really like it and go career. Great retirement.