Thinking of Competing. Any Advice?

I have been training for 10-11 years now, always with the aim of aesthetics, but have never competed in anything.

Looks like their is a UK South-West regional next April and I’m thinking about entering.

I’m not one to compete for competitions sake, I certainly want to be competitive.

Questions:

• Is 5/3/1, how I’m currently training, suitable / optimal for the run up to a competition.
  • Is 610kg (my total of PR’s, though not current lifts) a competitive total for a 90kg (198lb) Male.
  • The weight categories are 83kg, or 93kg. Is it worth my trying to cut 7kg or just over a stone to be more competitve, or will my lifts suffer more than the advantage is worth? It would be a relatively drastic cut, definitely to single digit bf%.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks.

You really can’t control how competitive you will be. It just depends om who turns up. Just go through the process and learn a bit (like if you want to bother again).

You don’t want to do this. Unless you’re a freak it will almost certainly impact your lifts.

Thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate can’t impact who else turns up, to clarify what I mean is I’m looking to maximize my own performance at the event.

I could ‘turn up’ to a meet next week, doesn’t mean I’d be prepared or happy with my performance.

In Beyond 5/3/1 isn’t there a peaking cycle offered? Something like:

(From PowerLiftingToWin)

"As you can see, the peaking plan is relatively simple and effective. In the first month, the lifter increases specificity by adding some heavy singles using his training max weight after he does his AMRAP sets. In month two, the lifter starts using his training max weight as the AMRAP set. In month three, you cut out all AMRAP sets and add an additional super heavy single.

During the last month, by eliminating the AMRAP sets, you allow for an extended “recovery” period where fatigue dissipates. By still including the ultra heavy single, you prevent detraining and encourage further acclimation to heavy weights. In Week 11, where even all the assistance is cut out, you ensure full recovery going into Meet Week.

Overall, this is a solid peaking option for the lifter who is using 5/3/1."

Its a decent total but nothing special in the 93s. Dudes like Tom Martin, with years/decades of lifting and drug use, have cut down from well over 100kgs to set records. You won’t break any British records unless you’re a junior.

Google “PowerLiftingToWin Nutrition” and read/watch everything.

TLDR/W you want to have as much muscle as possible, while not being so lean performance suffers, within a certain weight class to be as competitive as possible. This is in the long term tho and over time you build and recomposition into a weight class

EDIT: @strongmangoals is trying to confuse you with his strongman voodoo

2 Likes

Thanks dude, awesome response.

My responses are awesome 100% of the 50% of the times that I’m not trolling/GIFing

1 Like

531 for powerlifting should be fine. You just need to decide on whether you want to peak or not.

A wise man once said.

50% of the time, it works every time.

2 Likes

Learn the rules/commands.
Practice the commands.
Do the meet.
While at the meet, talk to other lifters, watch the other lifters, learn from other lifters.
And please, don’t miss your openers.

1 Like

Appreciate the tips.

suitable yes, optimal no

no, but it doesn’t suck

not unless you are going to set a record or win some sort of (big) prize. And then only with 24 hour weigh in.