Thinking of a 4 Day Split

I’ve been doing starting strength since July and have had good results. The problem is that as the weight has increased so has my rest between sets. Deadlift days take a little under an hour (and about an 1:10 with chins). Power clean days take about 1:30. I work out over lunch and it’s really hard for me to get away from the office for that long. I’m thinking a four day split would work better and keep me under an hour a day (ideally around 45 minutes).

I’m thinking something like this:

Saturday:
3x5 squat
3x? GHR (or 1x5 deadlift?)

Sunday:
3x5 bench (I really prefer benching on the weekends as I can do them at my BJJ school in a rack; my commercial gym doesn’t have this)
5x3 power clean

Tuesday:
3x5 squat
1x5 deadlift
3x? chins (w/ 90 second rest)

Thursday:
3x5 squat
3x5 press

Or:

Saturday:
3x5 squat
1x5 deadlift
3x? chin

Sunday:
3x5 bench/press
5x3 power clean

Tuesday:
3x5 squat
3x5 bench/press

Thursday:
3x5 squat
3x5 press/bench

Any advice?

If you’re taking 10 minute rests between sets I would say it’s time to move on from SS

[quote]Tyhk wrote:
I’ve been doing starting strength since July and have had good results.[/quote]
Can you quantify “good”? Starting bodyweight-current bodyweight, starting working weight on the main lifts-current working weight.

Also, what’s your exact goal? Increased strength or increased size? And “both” is only an acceptable answer if you can lay out some specific numbers as targets.

Instead of jumping to a 4 day split, take a look at the Texas Method. It’s still 3 days of a similar setup, but only one is really “big” work. The other two are relatively “easier” and could be knocked out quicker (supersetting the stuff later in the session, for example).

With the plans you laid out, you’re still squatting 3 days a week but you’re adding in that fourth day with cleans, so the low back is still being stressed and recovery could be an issue.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Tyhk wrote:
I’ve been doing starting strength since July and have had good results.[/quote]
Can you quantify “good”? Starting bodyweight-current bodyweight, starting working weight on the main lifts-current working weight.

Also, what’s your exact goal? Increased strength or increased size? And “both” is only an acceptable answer if you can lay out some specific numbers as targets.

Instead of jumping to a 4 day split, take a look at the Texas Method. It’s still 3 days of a similar setup, but only one is really “big” work. The other two are relatively “easier” and could be knocked out quicker (supersetting the stuff later in the session, for example).

With the plans you laid out, you’re still squatting 3 days a week but you’re adding in that fourth day with cleans, so the low back is still being stressed and recovery could be an issue.[/quote]

175 to 190 body weight
115 to 235 squat
195 to 275 deadlift
70 to 100 press
115 to 145 bench
105 to 155 clean

Nothing spectacular, but considering I miss training during the week pretty regularly because I can’t get away from work long enough (I’ve averaged 1.25 days a during the week plus 1 day on the weekends), I don’t think I’m doing too bad…

My goal is strength and explosiveness for martial arts (training ~2 days a week right now).

[quote]Tyhk wrote:
My goal is strength and explosiveness for martial arts (training ~2 days a week right now). [/quote]
In that case, if you’re already missing training days, a well-designed 2 day program will be better than a poorly followed 4 day plan.

Lots of guys in the Combat forum seem to like 5/3/1, so this should be perfect: Effective Training for Busy Men