T Nation

Thinking About the Next Step

I’ve been working out for a year and half now, i weight 177 pounds, I intake about, 2800 and up of calories a day, and i drink protein shakes everyday that add up to about 150 grams of protein each day. My body fat percentage is real low. I go to the gym 5 days a week, exercising 1 muscle group a day. I also have an active day job during the week working construction. I’m 22 in good health with no health issues. I’ve never used anything other than what you can buy at GNC. I’ve used most bsn products with reasonably good results.

But I think I’m ready to take another step to my commitment. I’ve been reading this forum for a bit now, and think people here know what they are talking about,however I’ve also seen how if the wrong question is asked it can lead to brutal ridicule. So i guess what I’m basically saying is, do I sound ready to take this next step? Any information, or suggestions would help either being, related to a good work out routine,ect.

You’re not ready. at a 1.5 years you haven’t given training naturally enough time. This is the wrong question sans the ridicule. That can’t be said for the rest of the fellers.

Why dont you try adding more calories… the average COUCH POTATO is reccomended to eat 2500… nevermind if you weightlift…

So keep adding 200 cals every 2 weeks untill you start seeing gains.
Try that for a few months.

Adding calories sounds easy to do, but really I have a really active day I’m up at 6 and to bed at 10, and in between I’ve got 9 hours at work going to the gym, whatever other bull shit I’ve got going on. You see the appeal of the alternative, and I respect and use any information given to me by others who know it better than me. So what are some good high calorie foods? I’ve been reading and for instance I never new coconut milk had so many calories.

More protein. Train smarter. I am kind of in the same boat as you but I realize that even at nearly 30 I still need to be training for at least another 3+ years to max out naturally before I go to that step (I haven’t been training for 5 years yet.) To do so sooner would be to fvck myself with how far I can actually go. Just try to be patient. I know it sucks.

[quote]fit86 wrote:
Adding calories sounds easy to do, but really I have a really active day I’m up at 6 and to bed at 10, and in between I’ve got 9 hours at work going to the gym, whatever other bull shit I’ve got going on. You see the appeal of the alternative, and I respect and use any information given to me by others who know it better than me. So what are some good high calorie foods? I’ve been reading and for instance I never new coconut milk had so many calories. [/quote]

Since you are active constantly throughout the day I would suggest getting more calories from carbs than fat. I eat a lot of brown rice and oatmeal when I need to carb up.

well I’m not too much with you need X amount of years of training befor you start AAS, but you need your diet and training be to spot on befor taking that route

like they said you need to up the calories and keep it clean

Get your diet and training in check. All natural, I never have seen the benefit from one muscle group a day. I just don’t think enough can get accomplished.

In terms of sources…I have a suggestion… go to hell. We don’t give them out. Find a source board for that bullshit.

World

You haven’t been training long enough for steroid use.

As for a source, pull one out of your anus for all we care, we don’t give out sources here.

If you’re really desperate for a source go to:

www.imanidiotwhohasntbeentraininglongenoughto justifysteroidusebutiwillprobablyuseaasanyway.com

I done told you so!

The ‘Steroids are an Ace and everyone can play their Ace one time’ Dave Tate quote in TC’s interview with “Steroid Lover” really hit home for me. I am truly going to max this body out before I do a cycle. That and I have to stop competing first or I’d get tossed out of USAW.

If someone would please quote the part where he asked for a source, I’d greatly appreciate it. It seems I have this condition where I have recently been unable to understand the meaning of words when they’re put in sentence form. And I mean this with all humility and sincerity.

To fit86: If you don’t have time to eat enough, AAS will not be of any benefit to you. If your job is active, you need a lot more calories. Add 200-300 calories to your daily diet each week until you see weight gains.

Fit86…

I have to +1 the advice to get more calories in your diet. As suggested above add another 200 or 300 calories per week and see how your body adapts. It would be best to watch your BF % to help guage this.

If you’re not already doing it an easy way to up your calories is to add oatmeal, peanut butter, or olive oil to your protein shakes. Use a program like fitday at fitday.com to track your diet.

Good luck!

[quote]kroby wrote:
If someone would please quote the part where he asked for a source, I’d greatly appreciate it. It seems I have this condition where I have recently been unable to understand the meaning of words when they’re put in sentence form. And I mean this with all humility and sincerity.

To fit86: If you don’t have time to eat enough, AAS will not be of any benefit to you. If your job is active, you need a lot more calories. Add 200-300 calories to your daily diet each week until you see weight gains.[/quote]

I think it got edited out.

[quote]Hunt wrote:
kroby wrote:

To fit86: If you don’t have time to eat enough, AAS will not be of any benefit to you. If your job is active, you need a lot more calories. Add 200-300 calories to your daily diet each week until you see weight gains.

I think it got edited out.
[/quote]

Then I have started on the road to recovery. Thank you Hunt.

Sorry for the hijack.

Another reason to wait. Think about your tendons. Think about how much muscle mass your going to gain. Now think about how strong your going to get. Think of those wimpy little tendons with lots of heavy iron on them. Think of the tendons snapping like elastic bands under too much load. I know this is a bit out there but it can and does happen if your body is not ready for it. Thats another reason you want to hold off the steroids for now.

Or you could just say fuck those guys and come back and say “Ahhh I am juried and don’t know what to do. Can anyone help me?” Most of us will look at that thread and be like wow he should have waited not much we can do for him.

Also like others have said get your diet and training in order. Make it your life’s goal to eat, sleep and train to see your results. Make sure you make smart decisions and some good planning.

Who decided that you must train for 3 years in order to use anabolics?? This is horse shit! As long as you know how to train and know how to eat I consider you ready for anabolics if that is what you wish to do. I agree that someone who just started training should not use but not for the same reasons as most of you. I feel time in the gym has little to nothing to do with anything.

Again, if you are training correctly and eating correctly why can’t you add anabolics to your regime??

In the OP’s case; yes you should up your calories, esp. if you decide to use anabolics.1 and 1/2 years is plenty of time to learn how to train and how to eat unless you are a complete idiot. It sounds as if you are very dedicated and committed so, do not let these guys deter you. If it was up to them Jay Cutler would still be waiting to start a cycle instead of being Mr. O.

I usually do not recommend it but in your case, with a high energy job that probably saps calories, you should look into one of GNC’s high calorie protein drinks. You know the ones that say they provide 1200 cals per serving. You do not need to take the whole 1200 at one time. Just sip it through the day so you can add a good 1000 cals or so to your diet.

I believe that you are ready for anabolics. My suggestion would be to try a moderate dose of a good testosterone to start. If you get some real test cyp for example 300-500 mgs a week should give you a good 20 pound increase as long as your diet is right. Do not get impatient though because long acting testosterones take a good 3 weeks to really kick in.

The first cycle is always the best so do not expect 20 pounds every time you use. I would add .25 mgs of arimidex a day and the usual post cycle regiments. Your strength should skyrocket as well as your BW. Do not worry about putting on small amounts of body fat; it is normal for a bulking phase. I am not saying to become a fat ass but a body fat of 12% or so is OK. I would use the test for 8-10 weeks, take off 4-6 and start again, depending on your goals of course.

[quote]Hunt wrote:
The ‘Steroids are an Ace and everyone can play their Ace one time’ Dave Tate quote in TC’s interview with “Steroid Lover” really hit home for me. I am truly going to max this body out before I do a cycle. That and I have to stop competing first or I’d get tossed out of USAW. [/quote]
Have fun “maxing your body out”. You will probably still be “maxing your body out” five years from now and look the same.

[quote]joeblow wrote:
Who decided that you must train for 3 years in order to use anabolics?? This is horse shit! As long as you know how to train and know how to eat I consider you ready for anabolics if that is what you wish to do. I agree that someone who just started training should not use but not for the same reasons as most of you. I feel time in the gym has little to nothing to do with anything.
[/quote]

Finaly someone that agrees with me on this one

Do you guys think that Phil Heath would be where he is today if had waited 5+ years?

[quote]joeblow wrote:
A very long tirade.[/quote]

So you’re just going to make that assumption based on the fact that you don’t know his stats, you’ve seen no pictures and you don’t really know what his training is like?

People say 3 years because that’s the average time it takes.