Thinking About Quitting Back Squat

I agree that back squats aren’t the best for mass wen you do em alone, but who does?

When I was in mass gaining mode, Legs looked like this:

Front Squat
Back squat
Hack squat machine
Leg extensions

My ass is huge too from em, but who doesn’t need glute strength?

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I agree that back squats aren’t the best for mass wen you do em alone, but who does?

Front Squat
Back squat
Hack squat machine
Leg extensions

[/quote]

I will add that I believe that 99% of beginner trainers benefit from back squats. At some point though, and this is purely an individual thing, your ass may benefit more than your quads, and if bodybuilding (not just lifting) is your goal, you may have to reassess your approach (essentially what I had to do).

S

Goblet squats are good too.
Hold a dumbbell with both hands against your chest, under your chin. Though of course the heaviest you’ll go is about 120lbs I guess, depending on the DBs your gym has.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

Front Squat
Back squat
Hack squat machine
Leg extensions

[/quote]

I will add that I believe that 99% of beginner trainers benefit from back squats. At some point though, and this is purely an individual thing, your ass may benefit more than your quads, and if bodybuilding (not just lifting) is your goal, you may have to reASSess your approach (essentially what I had to do).

S
[/quote]

I get it, re-ASS-ess. This might be true for me as my glutes are getting massive, along with my low back from deads n squats.

[quote]ALX wrote:

[quote]SurferSnr wrote:

[quote]ALX wrote:
I’m performing classic back squat since 3 years… I was not able to go bellow parallel (even higher) with back squat when trying to lift heavy.[/quote]

Ummm…It sounds like you might have learned the movement incorrectly, very few people would be naturally incapable of going to or below parallel. Why would you do them for three years like that! Sounds like a great way to destroy your knees…[/quote]

To go ATG with BSquat I have to to lean foward and use a wide stance or I lost my balance (as I said above). I did try 3 years because I want big legs and I hate to suck at squating. I may have learn the movement incorectly, but now than I found how FSquat work wonderfully, I’ll will not bother anymore with BSquat[/quote]

This tells me that the bar position that you are using for your back squat might be to blame. You probably have the bar too low on your back in the first place which upsets your centre of gravity - namely it is too far away from it. As a result of this you are leaning forward as you start to descend in order to keep the weight centred and most likely turning the movement into a glorified good morning with your erectors taking the brunt of the weight.

The reason why you can’t go below parallel may be because you legs are in contact with your torso? or if you attempt to descend much further you will fall flat on your arse because you cannot keep the weight centred? or your back may cave from the weight?

The difference with the front squat is that by placing the bar in front of you on your shoulders the bar is already much closer to your centre of gravity. What this translates into is a more upright position during the descent (and indeed throughout the motion) because you do not have to lean forward in order to keep the weight centred - thereby enabling you to descend right to the bottom with much greater ease.

I had a similar problem with the back squat. The issue was that I was combining the low bar position as used by powerlifters (because I could handle more weight) with a narrower stance as seen with olympic lifters (to try and emphasise the quads).

The result was alot of leaning forward and poor leg activation/development. What I did in part to rectify this was to make sure the bar was placed directly on the upper traps - not below the delts, and not on the delts, on the traps! which allowed a more upright squating posture. This allowed me to go rock bottom… but I still had an issue, namely by lower back rounded a few inches off touch down. The solution to this final problem was by observing olympic lifters.

Nearly all of them have special shoes that have a raised heel which somehow goes some way to prevent lower back rounding at the bottom of the movement - so I raised my heel. Throw in some stretching and bingo.

All in all I really don’t think the front squat offers anything better to most lifters than what can be achieved with the back squat when done right. There are so many variations of the back squat that it is sometimes hard to choose which is fit for purpose - but after alot of experimentation on my part I would say that for overall leg development the olympic style back squat is the best for leg development of the back squat variations.

Today was my legs day. I did read your post and also the article you post, but I did not found anything news or what would really miss.

Today I did try to put the bar the highest possible on my neck, but it still make me lean forward and it put a pressure on my lower back.

It may be my technique as you said, but I don’t want to persist, the front squat feel very natural. I have the same problem with DL and RDL anyway. I RDL more than I DL. It’s fucking strange. Again it may be my technique, I have an hard time with the start of the DL.

could your low back just be a weak link? mine was for over a year. going barefoot on deads and back squats helped me shift my weight backward some and took a lot of pressure off my low back. i was able to stay more upright/fall forward less. foam rolling my hamstrings and hamstring flexibility work is also helping me lately.

[quote]UFgator11 wrote:
could your low back just be a weak link? mine was for over a year. going barefoot on deads and back squats helped me shift my weight backward some and took a lot of pressure off my low back. i was able to stay more upright/fall forward less. foam rolling my hamstrings and hamstring flexibility work is also helping me lately.[/quote]

That would make a lot of sense, I’m doing Deads since less than a year too, it may be the reason why I suck big time at squating.