T Nation

Thinking About Joining the Peace Corps

So I really want to go on an adventure, and have for several years now. And I think the Peace Corps would be an awesome way to do it. Has anyone here ever served in the Peace Corps? If so, what was your experience.

Also, I don't have a college degree, is that going to seriously impede my ability to get accepted?

What do you guys think?

I’m not an authority on it by any means but I think they pretty much take anyone. Now if you are a drooling retard they’ll probably just let you fetch coffee at the call centers. If you are a medical doctor you can probably go wherever you want. Give them a call and find out. You could also look for other volunteer programs that aren’t as much of a time commitment as the Peace Corps.

I’m pretty sure the Peace Corps is a poor place to look for adventure.

A friend of mine joined shortly out of high school. When his service was up, he rode his bike from Guatemala to Boulder, CO. He recently finished a trip on a three speed cruiser from CA to Washington, DC. He’s never driven a car and doesn’t have a driver’s license. He works with the local paper and schools, and does videos for the Travel Channel. He’s also sponsored by New Belgium Brewery, which is an excellent perk. Do it, if you want. It won’t be easy, but it will be what you make of it.

Marine Corps.

Yeah, except for the fact that I have no desire to subject myself to the Marine Corps

I’d rather do Americorp, but that’s because I’d rather help out fellow citizens that some people in a far off country. I’ve done volunteer work with some people from Americorp and wow, they have some very good looking girls.

I used to bang this woman that joined the Peace Corps…man…she was fine…think she’s in Uzbekhistan…She Say was supposed to join us one time, but it fell through…man…if you get to Uzbekhistan, look this broad up…she was down for anything…