Thinking About Getting a Motorcycle

Short answer: Ride for the experience, not to save money.

Long answer:
A bike is a terrible way to save money unless you live in the perfect world. That perfect world would be one in which you cannot crash, have utterly no use for insurance, do not need maintenance, and the weather is good enough for you to ride with just a t-shirt and maybe sunglasses.

Unfortunately crashes happen. Besides insurance and repairs, there’s lost wages and long term disabilities.

Insurance is expensive, especially if you have enough insurance to get you back to as healthy as possible in whatever length of time and care that takes. That may require a combination of vehicle, medical and something to provide for lost wages. The best insurance is improving your attentiveness and skills to prevent a crash. The next best is gear good enough to allow you to walk away without any injuries.

Tires only last 10-15k miles on a bike like the sv650, and as low as 3000 miles for bikes like the Hayabusa and ZX14. Then there’s valve checks and chain tightening. Not a big deal if you can do it yourself, although you’ll almost certainly have to buy a few specialized tools.

Fuel injected bikes in the 600cc range only get around 50 mpg. Bigger bikes drop into the low 30’s. Since this is the only area where you’re likely to save money, what’s the maximum you could save?

Weather can mean having 2-3 different sets of gear for different weather and occasions. You may have a set of textiles for rainy cold weather. Mesh for the summer. Leather for hitting the canyons.

What kind of person are you? I’m a modaholic. For me a bike is cheaper, but that’s because I was throwing $10k at my Corvette every year in go-fast parts. I don’t mod my bike nearly as much, but fortunately the extents to which a bike can be modded is much lower. The bad part is that I keep modding my riding apparal. I have at least 4 sets of leather jackets and pants. A couple sets of textile gear. A couple mesh jackets and pants. 4 sets of boots. 5 pairs of gloves. 4 helmets. This is the kind of shit that makes riding expensive for me. If I was really trying to save money, I would’ve bought a Corolla, but I was only trying to spend less than I was spending on my Corvette.

Anyway, I’d say you should budget $1000 for gear when you first buy the bike. Budget another $500 for tools and parts for the first year. After than you should probably budget another $750 for parts and apparal every year.

Thanks y’all for all your advice.

I really don’t care about looking like a pussy in the bike or what have you… All I want is to go from point A-B, while saving money in the process. The rest is gravy. What do you guys think of the Honda Rebel???

[quote]nomorewar wrote:

I really don’t care about looking like a pussy in the bike or what have you… All I want is to go from point A-B, while saving money in the process. The rest is gravy. What do you guys think of the Honda Rebel???

[/quote]

short, its not bad

Honestly, if your doing this for economic reasons as a beginner get either a ninja250 (08 and up are sexy looking = and conviently I am selling mine)… or if you want to eventually rock a cruiser look into a buel blast they are also good learning bikes…

Legendary dragon basically said everything I would have said, however, I really prefer my textile jacket for newbies and low speed commuting / daily driving… My buddy who races on the weekends explained it me like this… Leather is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and at low speeds will not do any better protecting you then textile… sure, it abrads slower, but unless your doing over 100 you wont abraid through a textile… So, for money and comforts sake I rock my textile unless I am at the track (which is also the only place I condone drving over 100 - though we have all done it once)… Joe rocket makes some nice textile jackets for reasonable prices that have some built in impact pading and I find them comfortable enough to wear even on 100+ degree days in alabama…

In earnest though, it costs more to maintain my 250r then it does my camaro, so the reality is for money sake cars are a better investment, the thing is though, motorcycles really do provide the enjoyment in the journey that you just dont get in a car, plus, chicks love bikes…

sorry, I am starting to ramble…

1. get a small bike to start (ninja 250r or buel blast)
  2. wear quality pants, jacket, full face, glooves and boots
  3. take the saftey class
  4. ride with safety in mind
  5. have fun and be safe
  6. profit !!

Become an organ donor.

Oh, and on a budget, buy gear on Craigslist or local bike forum websites. If you must buy new, then check out closeouts on Neweggs, and also IronPony, Motorcyclecloseouts and Motorcyclesuperstore.

The Ninja 250 is a good beginner bike, but it’s overpriced, especially on the used market. I’m also not crazy about the plastics on the Ninjette that will be expensive to fix after they crack and scratch when you drop it.

No matter what bike you choose, pay a little bit extra to get frame sliders. The extra protection will make it easier to get your money back when you sell it. Used bikes barely depreciate, so as long as you don’t get ripped off or mess up your bike, you should be able to get most of your money back…something that’ll be really important if you find out riding a motorcycle isn’t going to work out for you.

[quote]nomorewar wrote:

[/quote]

It’s an alright bike. It’s a very small bike though because it’s targeted for women. It’s also a very beginner bike.
If you’re a tall person (above 5’5 lol) then you might feel a bit cramped on it.
The best way to find out what works for you is to go to several dealers and try out all the bikes that you are interested in.

[quote]MikeyKBiatch wrote:
mitchellh wrote:
MikeyKBiatch wrote:
Suzuki SV650 or sv650s as that was my first bike and served me well :slight_smile: I really do not understand people saying not to get a 600cc bike as if you are not an idiot you should have no problem handling it. Just stay in the lower rpm ranges until you get more comfortable. Especially since the suspension on a 600 will handle you better than something like a 250, 500 or even the 650(I was 220 at the time I owned the 650 and the suspension was too soft).

SV650 != 600 inline 4. Panic and turn the throttle to much on an sv and you’ll lift the front up a bit, do the same on say a gsx-r 600 you’re doing 70mph in 1st gear, sliding down the road with the bike on top of you.

An sv650 is a great first bike, but don’t think because it’s a good starter bike any 600cc is.

Yes, I realize this Ive ridden many 600s… like I said if your not an idiot it shouldnt be an issue… meaning he should not be doing 70mph in 1st gear if he is just starting out riding and common sense should tell people this… granted if you have the type of personality that cannot be responsible enough to handle this straight out then get something smaller and upgrade later…
[/quote]

It aint about being responsible. Panic situations don’t involve responsibility or even thought.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
1976 cb550[/quote]

My first street bike was a 1978 CB550K…fun bike

[quote]nomorewar wrote:

[/quote]

Check out craigslist or something of the sort for an old honda cb750, you can find pretty good deals on these.