T Nation

Thinking About First Contest in April

Hello

In April, there will be a national bodybuilding contest held by Turkish Bodybuilding Federation.

I lost 18 kgs in the last 6 months and we think ( me and my wife ) it would be a great and fun experience to compete at least once in my life.

My latest photo is below. I dont plan to be Mr Turkey but i dont want to embarrass myself by stepping on stage looking like shit either.

Do you think i have enough time ( and enough mass ) to compete in April?

Let’s see what you’re sporting for wheels! Your upper body would certainly more than hold its own in a natural competition if you come in shredded. You’ll need to start prep ASAP if you decide to compete. How low have you had to drop your calories and how much cardio have you done to lose the weight you have already?

in a national show? no… I don’t think you are ready by any means

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
in a national show? no… I don’t think you are ready by any means[/quote]

Missed that part somehow, misread it as natural. Yeah I’m not sure what the bb’ing scene in Turkey is like but I don’t think a national level show would be a good idea

You have a good physique. Would you win? I have no clue. Should you join the contest? Why the hell not? If you think it’ll be fun, do it for fun. You clearly worked hard and you deserve to compete whether you’re the best or not.

In fairness, the Turkish bodybuilding scene may be fairly small, and they may not do “regional” contests.

Alternatively, the “national” shows may end up de facto “regional.” Turkey is composed of many, many districts, so there may just be one big federation that holds its contests but end up with most people actually competing from surrounding districts.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
In fairness, the Turkish bodybuilding scene may be fairly small, and they may not do “regional” contests.

Alternatively, the “national” shows may end up de facto “regional.” Turkey is composed of many, many districts, so there may just be one big federation that holds its contests but end up with most people actually competing from surrounding districts.[/quote]

yes, i couldnt describe it better :slight_smile:

please dont think i will compete with young levrones and colemans when i say ’ national ’

the line ups are a joke compared to your npc shows and the level of quality is very low.

[quote]gsheks wrote:
You have a good physique. Would you win? I have no clue. Should you join the contest? Why the hell not? If you think it’ll be fun, do it for fun. You clearly worked hard and you deserve to compete whether you’re the best or not. [/quote]

thanks man. i just want to compete for fun and hang my picture in posing trunks to my wall :slight_smile:

A “National” show in Turkey may be very different than what we expect from typical NPC National level shows here in the States.

That said,… I think your upper body looks good enough that even if you place dead last (always a possibility going into ANY contest), you’ll be proud of yourself achieving contest level conditioning - especially after the weight loss you’ve already achieved.

I always ask people their reasons for entering shows. If it’s to prove to yourself that you can do this, to see how far you can push yourself, then I say definitely do it. Still, I would be curious what the lineup from last year’s event looked like. Can you find this online just to see what level athletes typically show up?

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
A “National” show in Turkey may be very different than what we expect from typical NPC National level shows here in the States.

That said,… I think your upper body looks good enough that even if you place dead last (always a possibility going into ANY contest), you’ll be proud of yourself achieving contest level conditioning - especially after the weight loss you’ve already achieved.

I always ask people their reasons for entering shows. If it’s to prove to yourself that you can do this, to see how far you can push yourself, then I say definitely do it. Still, I would be curious what the lineup from last year’s event looked like. Can you find this online just to see what level athletes typically show up?

S[/quote]

yes Stu, sure. this is a photo from the championship held in september 2014.

the man in the middle is the overall winner of the show.

these guys are looking better :))

Definitely do it -lol.

I’m assuming you’ve got some wheels under those gym pants.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Definitely do it -lol.

I’m assuming you’ve got some wheels under those gym pants.

S[/quote]

:))))

i shot this yesterday morning. not impressive but at least i started to see some separation after my diet.

Go for it man! You def got the upper body.

Oh yeah and you better start squatting hard now…
In all brute honesty, your legs are lagging bad. You need to train them a minimum of 2x a week just the minimize them from getting smaller than they already are while cutting 4 prep.

In the offseason, really work harder on your legs for next time!

good luck

looking reasonably balanced and proportioned…

now that ive seen what the competition looks like, id say go for it

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
Go for it man! You def got the upper body.

Oh yeah and you better start squatting hard now…
In all brute honesty, your legs are lagging bad. You need to train them a minimum of 2x a week just the minimize them from getting smaller than they already are while cutting 4 prep.

In the offseason, really work harder on your legs for next time!

good luck[/quote]

thanks man. i will definitely up the volume and intensity of my leg workouts as you advised.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
looking reasonably balanced and proportioned…

now that ive seen what the competition looks like, id say go for it[/quote]

thank you, i decided to do it.

i will see it as a fun experience but also i will definitely do anything necessary to look my best. half assed effort is not my thing :slight_smile:

Told you all you needed to do look better was keep losing fat ,

I’d say go for it, definitely get as shredded as possible ,

IMO if you don’t feel like your life is falling into pieces the last few weeks then you aren’t as shredded as you could of been. Jk (but not really though hahah)

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
Told you all you needed to do look better was keep losing fat ,

I’d say go for it, definitely get as shredded as possible ,

IMO if you don’t feel like your life is falling into pieces the last few weeks then you aren’t as shredded as you could of been. Jk (but not really though hahah)[/quote]

:))
i want to ask you something.
should i avoid protein shakes, peanut butter, fruits, dairy, egg yolks and man made carbs like pasta, whole grain bread etc. during prep?
yeah, i lost 18 kgs / 40 pounds in the last 6 months but contest look is completely another subject and this is what you americans know best.
i made a little bit research and i think a typical contest prep diet consists of;

egg whites
chicken-turkey breast
fish
brown rice
oatmeal
veggies like broccoli, spinach, lettuce, kale

is that all i can or should eat to look like a real contestant?