T Nation

Thinking About Competing

Hello all,

Been around the forums for years, but never registered until now. Im regular on other boards, but what Id like to ask T-brothers is outside of other boards` expertise. Knowledge here just can not be matched.

So, without further ado, lets go straight to the point.

28-years old, natural for one more month. Been training for 8 years, and reached my genetic potential long time ago. Not really blessed, but I compensate with upmost self-discipline.

I plan on stepping up the game from October 1st. Will bulk like every other time before, but with 500mg of Test E weekly this time. Will try to do two bulk cycles in a row before cutting. I hope my physique will peak this time next year.

This is where Id appreciate your input. Being competitive as a person, this might be great time for first on-stage experience. What you guys think I could aim at? Since Im European, Ive been thinking Arnold Classic Europe, some amateur low/middle-weight/physique class?

Note Im not serious about bodybuilding career. Its just for personal satisfaction. All words of wisdom are welcome :slight_smile:

P.S. I have pictures of where Im currently at, and would like to attach them in board-legit way. Should I manually attach them one by one, or I can upload and link to non-bodybuilding website?

[quote]fearless.rabbit wrote:
P.S. I have pictures of where Im currently at, and would like to attach them in board-legit way. Should I manually attach them one by one, or I can upload and link to non-bodybuilding website?[/quote]

Both work… this site seems especially friendly toward photobucket though. As far as I’ve seen, you can just put the direct photobucket image link in a post and the picture shows up. It seems to be the only way to post multiple images in the same post.

Now, as far as your original question, I can make absolutely zero contribution.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

P.S. I have pictures of where Im currently at, and would like to attach them in board-legit way. Should I manually attach them one by one, or I can upload and link to non-bodybuilding website?[/quote]

Both work… this site seems especially friendly toward photobucket though. As far as I’ve seen, you can just put the direct photobucket image link in a post and the picture shows up. It seems to be the only way to post multiple images in the same post.

Now, as far as your original question, I can make absolutely zero contribution.[/quote]

Haha, respect, fair enough!

Why not try to compete at least once before you make that jump? Also, are you making the leap because you feel it is necessary in order to compete or would you have “progressed” towards that anyhow…and if so, really ask yourself why?

28-years old. Been training for 8 years, and reached my genetic potential long time ago. Not really blessed, but I compensate with upmost self-discipline.
[/quote]

You have a nice look going for you, but I believe you are a ways from ‘genetic potential’. Perhaps you weigh more than you appear…what is your bodyweight in the pics? How tall are you?

Im around 74-75 kgs in the pictures (165lbs?). Height 182cm (5.10 feet?). Ideally, Id be 20 more pounds heavier, but that`s in a long run.

In the last 3 years I tried everything in my power to bust the weight plateau, without success. I know for sure that I physically can not eat or train more than I already am. What I believe I need is better protein synthesis.

Why I mentioned Arnolds`? Here are some reason:

1. Im from the Balkans, and Im not very fond of regional shows
  2. I like putting high goals for myself
  3. That would probably be one-time experience
  4. I have full-time job, and only way I could make it happen is by taking a vacation, and go compete on that “vacation” :slight_smile: Plus, combining leisure and competition seams like a neat idea
  5. Id like it to be one-in-a-lifetime adventure, and going to compete in Belgrade does not feel that glamorous

Of course, Ive been thinking about those amateur, free-for-all divisions… No idea how that works though, that`s why Im here :slight_smile:

165lbs and the way you look says to me that you are not at you genetic limit. You definitely have a lot more opportunity to gain mass. This isn’t a comment on you wishing to start taking steroids as it’s your choice and I don’t have enough experience to comment.

As for the photos. You’re going to need to post a picture of your legs as they will be judged in your bodybuilding competition. Also, you should post pictures of you doing the mandatory bodybuilding poses so that your physique can be judged better and weak points can be assessed.

Im around 74-75 kgs in the pictures (165lbs?). Height 182cm (5.10 feet?). Ideally, Id be 20 more pounds heavier, but that`s in a long run.

In the last 3 years I tried everything in my power to bust the weight plateau, without success. I know for sure that I physically can not eat or train more than I already am. [/quote]

At 185 your ‘genetic plateau’ position would be more credible. What are your strength levels…
Flat Press ?
O.H. Press ?
Row ?
Deadlift ?
Squat ?

It`s 74-75 kgs lean. When bulking, I get up to 85 (~190lbs) and just hang there. I COULD gain more, but its only more fat. My genetic hormonal profile seams not to be able to sustain more muscle than that.

Max squat is 140 kgs (310lbs), deadlift approximately the same. I better react to high-volume training though. 4-6 reps range never worked well for me :frowning:

With all due respect, Ive done my homework, and Id like this topic not be be about AAS pros and cons. Its set in stone as far as Im concerned. Uncovering the competing mysteries, and different ways to approach it, is what Im interested in :slight_smile:

Ok, I see what you guys mean about people using their ‘genetics’ as a limiting factor.

OP, I actually don’t think the concern is really ‘pros and cons of AAS’ as much as it is questioning your statement that you’ve maxed out your genetics. That being said, you may [or may not] have better luck discussing this in the “Off Topic > Steroids” subforum.

With all due respect, Ive done my homework, and Id like this topic not be be about AAS pros and cons.[/quote]

Agreed, you are free to do as you wish and this thread isn’t about whether you should take gear.

Can you please be a little clearer about what you are actually looking for in this thread?

Id appreciate some general guidelines for a new guy on stage. For example, what competition/class to aim at, bureaucracy of applying for the show, what classes do not have qualification, what is tested and what is not, do I pay some fees, etc.

Ideally, Id shoot for some free-for-all at Arnold Classic Europe in 2013. Something where I can apply without bodybuilding background, and get on stage next to just as inexperienced guys of similar weight.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
OP, I actually don’t think the concern is really ‘pros and cons of AAS’ as much as it is questioning your statement that you’ve maxed out your genetics. [/quote]

True. I can not be 100% sure I reached my genetic limit. However, Im pretty sure Im damn close to it.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
OP, I actually don’t think the concern is really ‘pros and cons of AAS’ as much as it is questioning your statement that you’ve maxed out your genetics. [/quote]

True. I can not be 100% sure I reached my genetic limit. However, Im pretty sure Im damn close to it. [/quote]

Doubtful. Where are the leg pics?

Id appreciate some general guidelines for a new guy on stage. For example, what competition/class to aim at, bureaucracy of applying for the show, what classes do not have qualification, what is tested and what is not, do I pay some fees, etc.

Ideally, Id shoot for some free-for-all at Arnold Classic Europe in 2013. Something where I can apply without bodybuilding background, and get on stage next to just as inexperienced guys of similar weight.

[/quote]

-If it’s your first contest, see if there are novice divisions. Going into an Open class at a large show is almost guaranteeing a blow out. Since the IFBB has allowed winners of the amateur Arnold to secure a pro card (I believe), you’d face some serious competition.

-As long as you’re paying, and no one you’re competing against has a sponsorship deal with a supplement company (even if they’re an amateur competitor), you usually won’t have to be concerned about politics or BS bureaucracy.

-Only shows denoted as ‘Pro’, or ‘National Level’ require any degree of qualification process. Most amateur shows are pretty straight forth about open entrants.

-If a show is “tested”, unless a specific list of banned substances is noted, the standard WADA list is usually adhered to.

-You will have to pay for Federation membership, competitor entry fee to the show (depending on how many classes you enter), and sometimes an additional fee for drug testing procedures.

S

Pardon my French… but genetic limit my ass.

I know you Serbs like meat… eat more of it, dobar tek!

But on a more serious note… list your meals and training schedule.

Squat more and eat more man, you should be able to gain a bit more mass before you start taking gear

[quote]TheGift wrote:
Squat more and eat more man, you should be able to gain a bit more mass before you start taking gear[/quote]

I agree with this. There is so much more work to be done. Sitting at 5-7% bf is not going to allow you to make any sizable gains.