Thinking About Competing in August

I have an opportunity to compete in a small lifting competition that is hosted by the Naval Station I work out of. The contest is in early August. I think it would be fun, and kind of give me an introduction to these events.

My current 1RMs are:

Squat: 250
Dead: 300
Bench: 140

I know they are pitiful, and I know that I probably don’t stand a chance of even placing in the contest, but I’m a novice lifter, and I’m really planning on doing this for fun and experience.

My question is, what are some optimal ways to really increase those lifts? Should I focus on them exclusively, or are there other exercises that would help me develop more quickly? If there are any tried and true programs that help, I’d be interested in learning about those, too.

Thanks in advance!

First of all - go for it. I have never competed because that is just not my thing but if you have thought about it you should just go for it.

Second, in regards to increasing those lifts there is no better way to get stronger at them then to do them. I would just spend some time on here looking up some of the power lifting articles. I know I did a Dave Tate program that I loved (I can’t remember where I found it) that really helped me increase all three lifts. Let us know how you do!

had I found this program months ago, I’d be much stronger then I am today.

go for it. you can only get better man. you may also find some people there can help you train and increase your lifts. good luck

Thanks for the replies, all!

Zephead: regarding that program, what is a “GHR” ?

I think I’m going to enter the contest in November, which will give me just about 6 months to increase my lifts. I’ll check out the event in August, to see how the contest runs, and to maybe meet the guys who compete.

glute ham raise

[quote]darwin420 wrote:

I think I’m going to enter the contest in November, which will give me just about 6 months to increase my lifts. I’ll check out the event in August, to see how the contest runs, and to maybe meet the guys who compete.[/quote]

No, don’t wait. Compete in August so that you get the jitters out of the way. The experience will give you something to build off from. Then in November, you will no longer feel like a noob.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
darwin420 wrote:

I think I’m going to enter the contest in November, which will give me just about 6 months to increase my lifts. I’ll check out the event in August, to see how the contest runs, and to maybe meet the guys who compete.

No, don’t wait. Compete in August so that you get the jitters out of the way. The experience will give you something to build off from. Then in November, you will no longer feel like a noob.[/quote]

I’m not generally the type to get nervous in situations like that (being that I’m a performer). On the other hand, what harm can it do, right? It’s an internal contest on base, and I’d just be doing it for fun, anyway.

Further question on the routine Zep posted: Can it be don M/T/Th/F instead of M/W/F/M ? Or is that a recipe for disaster?

How much of a difference is there between GHRs and Hypers? They look pretty much the same to me… (but perhaps I’m missing something?)

I’m popping my meet cherry in November. My lifts right now are squat: 450~, bench: 290~, deadlift: 525~. Right now I’m around 240 but am going to compete at 181. Go for it man, why not push yourself to the limit?

Ballin4Christ32 -
Those are solid lifts and I look forward to hearing how you do in November. Just a quick question - why do you plan on droping all the way to 181? 60 lbs seems like a big drop that is sure to impact your lifts. I have never lifted in a competition so maybe I just don’t have a clue. I am interested to hear your thoughts behind this plan.

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
I’m popping my meet cherry in November. My lifts right now are squat: 450~, bench: 290~, deadlift: 525~. Right now I’m around 240 but am going to compete at 181. Go for it man, why not push yourself to the limit? [/quote]

I’m jealous of your numbers. I’ll get there one day. Good luck to you!

Okay, I gave this a shot at designing a program. It’s my first time, so be gentle (but please criticize the heck out of it if need be, so I can learn where I mucked up).

Monday:
Back Squat - 3x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1
Leg Press - 6x5
Leg Extension - 6x5

Wednesday:
Bench - 3x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1
Milpress - 6x5
BB Curl - 6x5

Friday:
Deadlift - 3x5, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1
BB Row - 6x5
Good Morning - 6x5