Think You Are Big But Just Fat

We bashed him “to his face” also, so I don’t think it’s too bad. Wish he were here to tell him off some more…I still kinda liked him though.

Honestly, a very small part of me felt bad, because I’ve seen others on various forums, youtube, and social media who live their lives via crafted online personas and when they’re not viewed by others the way they perceive themselves, it’s a very horrible emotional situation for them. Still, some people can never be wrong, and in a forum with so many other accomplished (education as well as competition wise) people, the constant crying for attention and intentional head butting and disagreeing really ruined what could have been a great subforum about bodybuilding.

S

I really need to go from 240 to 210, I gained 40-50 lbs of fat and muscle in 3-4 years

Really need a kick in the ass, I am always thinking about losing weight but always gaining some slowly

This is one of the more frustrating things about strongman, and the novice category doesn’t help. Too many guys think the sport is Bigman, not STRONGman, and just literally throw their weight around in some novice show against some 160lb high school kids.

And then, when they accidentally win a novice show, they never come back, because “the weights are too heavy” in heavyweight. Sometimes, the solution isn’t to get stronger; it’s to get less fat.

CA’s strongest man had a cut off in the women’s category about 2 years back; no heavyweight female competitors. When heavyweight female competitors who wanted to compete objected, the promoter recommended a preferred dietician to them. It went over poorly.

Holy shitballs. I can’t believe this turned up in my email today. God 4 years ago feels like so long.
I’m gonna get nostalgic now but damn I miss the old t nation forums.
Stu is still insanely kind and thoughtful.
Waiting for some insanely hilarious moment from Nards.
Honestly I wish Prof X could post to round out the feels.

1 Like

I was in that thread about what inspired us to start lifting and I said Arnold movies and that reminded me that I wanted to be 200 pounds because at age 17 that sounded so big and manly now as I’m about 215 and want to be 200 again. Gaaa

Are you still benching over 400 after 4 years?

Hah. Not at the moment. Just getting back into heavy work and hit a smooth paused 365 my first time maxing in like 3 months @ 181 though. I’m actually considering trying for 400 @ 181 in a meet.

Uh yea I can imagine. I have a female friend in the heavyweights. She’s strong as fuck and lean. She’s also 6’1. Thus heavyweight. A dietician isn’t going to be able to cut 4 inches off her height to make weight.

In truth, I will say I have seen this far more be the exception than the rule when it comes to difficulty making weight classes.

1 Like

Sorry to have brought up bad times but I was just going through different parts of t nation and this thread came up so I figured being st 15% BF atm I would see what it was about, as I went through I saw the infamous X posting, with hearing about him from other threads I was intrigued to find out more, got to say, a lot of the “regulars” I see posting are just as great 4 years ago as they are now

I think at my age and stage of life I should laugh along with this, but it’s hard not to. This thread was epic and I remember posting in it a great deal, but I likely wouldn’t argue or e-rumble with X if he were to return.

To be honest, I don’t think there’s ever been a single polarizing figure in any forum I’ve ever witnessed that even comes close to the BS that was created in many of what woukd have otterwise been very useful and informative threads. Look at how many contest blogs/threads and actual quality bodybuilding topics we’ve had on here in the last few years. Yeah there are a handful of old posters that I would love to see back (who I keep in contact with online via other venues), but I’m not exactly missing the messes that the “old days” always had to put up with.

S

B.S.? It was all just above your head, ya know… because you’re not a doctor. Are you even 250lbs? How can we respect your opinion if you’re not at least 250lbs?

You know what you need? A cheeseburger. Tell you what you need to do. Leave for the gym right now, buy a cheeseburger on your way. Workout and make sure you do machine curls, they’re important. Buy two cheeseburgers, fries and a shake on your way home for post workout. Repeat this until you’re over 250lbs with 20inch arms and then maybe we’ll listen to you.

You can trust my advice, because I’m a doctor.

1 Like

In keeping with the intended topic of this thread, I’ll offer up this thought:

I’m not saying everyone who trains has to ever compete. It’s not for everyone and that’s perfectly ok. The huge reality check from doing so is how most people find out just how big they weren’t in the process. Yes, the counter argument is that you always lose “some” muscle during a cut, but if everything is done correctly, slowly, and in some cases with the assistance of anabolics, the reason the guy who routinely claims 250 lbs actually competed at 190 isn’t because he lost 30 lbs of muscle dieting down.

S

2 Likes

Yeah, the loss of muscle on a cut done PROPERLY is negligible! Is a loss of one to three pounds of muscle significant when there was a 30 pound fat loss?!

3 Likes

I would even go so far as to say that muscle loss on a cut done even less than properly is still negligible, at least when just going from fat to “not totally fat.” Over the years, I’ve gone from 20% to 12% a couple of times (which for me was about 20 - 25 lbs) and based on body fat and tape measurements, and the mirror, I didn’t lose much, if any, muscle. Of course, I don’t really have much experience going lower than that.

There’s definitely a huge mental component in this. I’m lucky in that I hold fat fairly well and at around 20%, or even a couple pounds more, I look big in clothes, but not “fat.” Every time I leaned out, though, I surely looked better with my shirt off, but felt small and looked small with the same clothes on.

Seeing as, at least up here in Canada, we’re covered up most of the time and it can be tough to give up that “big” feeling. Up until recently, I was focused mainly on strength, so I didn’t mind the extra weight, but having moved back to a aesthetic goal a couple of months ago, I wasn’t kidding myself and knew I had to lose some fat.