Think You Are Big But Just Fat

My brother in-law calls everybody that is not ripped fat. Drives me crazy. He told me Brock Lesnar was fat… Brock Lesnar…

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
My brother in-law calls everybody that is not ripped fat. Drives me crazy. He told me Brock Lesnar was fat… Brock Lesnar…

[/quote]

Yea, that’s crazy.

Kennelly is close to getting a little too fat in some pics…but that is what I would call the very image of “full house”.

Big muscles but carrying just enough fat to look a little smooth.

This does not apply to people with small or average muscles. This is about BIG muscles and a little more body fat than “ideal”.

Ahhh, what a great way to spend my entire morning. Thank you!

This is exactly what I was missing when I rejoined T-Nation last month. I was poking around this place wondering what the hell happened during my hiatus.

Ahh, yes all is right with my world now :slight_smile:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
This, in my opinion is “full house” He’s built. No one on the planet is going to walk up this guy and call him “fat” unless literally comparing him to a bodybuilder in contest shape…and everyone can tell he lifts heavy by looking at him…[/quote]

I disagree.

This does not look good.

Not many guys would want to look like this… and not many woman would find it attractive…

If the guy asked me what I think id tell him he looks fat. Period.

Would I walk up to him and call him fat? No… but I wouldnt call a random kid skinny either or a fat girl that doesnt lift fat either… unless they asked me my opinion

There is no benefit I can think of with having this mucj extra fat… unless ur a pler

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
i hit the first “real” weights on a "real exercise earlier this morning after work since my neck surgery in december.

after squatting, i hit 200kg plus 200lbs chain for 5 x 3 in the conventional deadlift, dropped the chain, did an EASY 220kg x 3, then added the chain back to the 220kg and did a moderate hard single.

color me happy.

and boy were my legs (yes LEGS) pumped. I have always been perplexed at people who consider deadlifts a back exercise, i have always considered them a low body exercise, and now these days i do them wearing Olympic weightlifting shoes ( i know, heresy! you can only deadlift in chucks or barfoot!!!) my quads are always blown up after deads. [/quote]

Congrats man, that’s extremely strong lifting!

Tangent: would love to hear some thoughts about the role of chains in bodybuilding. I know that they’re frequently used by, e.g., Shelby and JM, but I guess I don’t fully understand how they’re that useful for hypertrophy, outside of eliminating sticking points on lifts themselves.[/quote]

I don’t bodybuild, but I use bands and chains with assistance work for hypertrophy simply to add variety to a movement. You can do something like work up to a stall in a movement with straight weight, then start over with straight weight and chains, or do some drop sets by removing chains as you go. It’s really just one more tool in the toolbox.

And just to clarify I have nothing against this look personally and if someone likes it

I just dont think from.experience and observation that its what most ppl “like” or strive for

[quote]zraw wrote:
And just to clarify I have nothing against this look personally and if someone likes it

I just dont think from.experience and observation that its what most ppl “like” or strive for[/quote]

No one said this is a goal to strive for. The point was, this is what “full house” is, and honestly I would use Kennelly for that more than the first guy.

It isn’t about what you think looks best. It was simply a representation of what that look is.

Full house is not “fat” nor is it “weak”. Full house in general means BIG muscles and a little more fat than ideal.

[quote]zraw wrote:

This, in my opinion is “full house” He’s built. No one on the planet is going to walk up this guy and call him “fat” unless literally comparing him to a bodybuilder in contest shape…and everyone can tell he lifts heavy by looking at him…[/quote]

I disagree.

This does not look good.

Not many guys would want to look like this… and not many woman would find it attractive…

Would I walk up to him and call him fat? No… but I wouldnt call a random kid skinny either or a fat girl that doesnt lift fat either… unless they asked me my opinion

There is no benefit I can think of with having this mucj extra fat… unless ur a pler[/quote]

To clarify, when you say you disagree, are you saying you don’t think that’s what “full house” looks like, or am I misunderstanding?

For me, it’s a look I’d be very happy with it. I am a pler, yes, but I don’t appreciate the look due to it’s functional benefit for the sport. I just think it looks good.

I think the “Full House” look is awesome but, I think that you have to be a certain height to pull it off. Top olympic lifters (Russians), strong man athletes, and power lifters like Brandon Lilly can be near or taller than 6 ft. They look powerful and intimidating as fuck. When you are 5’7 or shorter and “Full House” you look like a stumpy box especially in clothing.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I personally like the “Full House” look it looks awesome but, I think that you have to be a certain height to pull it off. Top olympic lifters (Russians), strong man athletes, and power lifters like Brandon Lilly can be near or taller than 6 ft. They look powerful and intimidating as fuck. When you are 5’7 or shorter and “Full House” you look like a stumpy box especially in clothing.[/quote]

Agreed. That is what I go for. I could care less about all abs showing as long as I look “athletic” and fucking huge.

I think I am pretty much like that now…and honestly, this is the ONLY place I hear so much negative shit about it.

I’d like the full house look, maybe a little bit leaner than the “lean” picture though. Sadly, I’m just under 5’8" though. I’d absolutely 100% settle for the look CT has though or similar. No offense PX, but maybe just a bit leaner and your look.

Now, I’ll keep everyone updated in 10yrs and let you know how it’s going haha

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

I disagree.

This does not look good.

There is no benefit I can think of with having this mucj extra fat… unless ur a pler[/quote]

To clarify, when you say you disagree, are you saying you don’t think that’s what “full house” looks like, or am I misunderstanding?

For me, it’s a look I’d be very happy with it. I am a pler, yes, but I don’t appreciate the look due to it’s functional benefit for the sport. I just think it looks good.[/quote]

I disagree about the fact that no one would call this fat

You can be muscular but also fat… its not one or the other

So yes that guy is big and has some muscles, but he’s also fat hence why id “he is big, and fat”

Well mannered people don’t walk up to overweight or obese strangers and say, “You’re fat,” just like they don’t walk up to people and say other unsavory stuff either (eg, “I see you have bad acne.”)

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Well mannered people don’t walk up to overweight or obese strangers and say, “You’re fat,” just like they don’t walk up to people and say other unsavory stuff either (eg, “I see you have bad acne.”)[/quote]

He is “obese” to you?

Look, several people just wrote they like that look…so what is with the rest of you acting like it is so negative?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Well mannered people don’t walk up to overweight or obese strangers and say, “You’re fat,” just like they don’t walk up to people and say other unsavory stuff either (eg, “I see you have bad acne.”)[/quote]

He is “obese” to you?

Look, several people just wrote they like that look…so what is with the rest of you acting like it is so negative?[/quote]

Missing the point

You said : no one would.call this fat

“We” said ; yes

We can argue what we consider fat all you want but to me this is fat.

There is a thread called “ideal” physique

Most (MOST… NOT ALL) pics posted are of lean guys

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

I disagree.

This does not look good.

For me, it’s a look I’d be very happy with it. I am a pler, yes, but I don’t appreciate the look due to it’s functional benefit for the sport. I just think it looks good.[/quote]

I disagree about the fact that no one would call this fat

You can be muscular but also fat… its not one or the other

So yes that guy is big and has some muscles, but he’s also fat hence why id “he is big, and fat”[/quote]

To be fair though, his point was no one would call him fat to his face, not that no one would say he is fat. I imagine the implication is that no one would call him fat because he is a big goddamn man.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

He is “obese” to you?

Look, several people just wrote they like that look…so what is with the rest of you acting like it is so negative?[/quote]

How did I know you were going to write that?! I was right: you did.

Please copy and paste my sentence stating “he is obese”. Do you see that in any of my text?! I was referring to the action of calling someone fat alone, that’s it.

Just like when I was talking about gear abuse and then you stated I said Matt Duval took 10 to 20 times the clinical dosage of anabolic steroids when meanwhile I was talking about gear use in general, not about Matt specifically.

I consider the guy chubby, not so fat.

Anyway, most of us keep objective as possible here and don’t apply “negative” terminology to anything. How is saying someone is fat negative?! It’s stating a characteristic in the same way someone would say I have blue eyes and I’m 5’10".

And as I said before, clinically speaking, 25% bodyfat indicates obesity. So it’s logical to find 20% as being overweight or “fat” (in body composition terms, NOT scale weight).

If someone doesn’t mind or simply likes or even benefits (in the case of overall body mass for powerlifting or strongman competition) from a relatively high bodyfat percentage, then that’s fine by me, so long as it doesn’t make one sick.