T Nation

Think You Are Big But Just Fat

Hey guys

I have always thought I was big and muscular however when taking photos of myself I realised that in bodybuilding i am just fat but slightly muscular.I started cutting 6 weeks ago and the fat is coming off I am down 22lbs so far.My body fat must have been 25% perhaps but I am hoping to get it close to 12% in the months to come

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar journey and how long did it take you to accomplish this?i am giving myself 20 weeks and then some maybe,being super strict too no bullshit.I am hoping to compete in bodybuilding after a long competitive history in powerlifting but I didn’t accomplish much in competition I just enjoyed it a lot.

My focus is now bodybuilding as I have been a fan for 12 years,I am 29 from England (north east) 5ft 11ins and 102kg at the moment

Any help advice I would appreciate

Thank you

Hey buddy good to see that you are ready to do the reverse and cut some weight! I would suggest to lose the weight slowly try to lose 1-3 lbs a week but I wouldn’t lose anymore than that because then your intensity, hunger, and hormones might crash. I haven’t had a similar journey but I have been heavier before.

Also the most important aspect is to CONTROL your mind, realize what goal you sent out to achieve and follow through with it. Too many times people get into their own heads and thoughts of " I am losing strength, so I must be losing muscle," or “I look smaller in my shirt,” arise. THese people fall off track.

Get a feel for how much LBM you might have and go from there. Of course it will be a guess at best unless you got a true DEXA scan. So if you think your 25% fat then multiply that by your weight in pounds and subtract it from your ORIGINAL weight.

That will give you an estimate to what you might be. Don’t quit and when you get to that weight you can look at yourself and say, “was I truly 25%?” If you were then you’d be sitting shredded diesel, if you were higher then you’d have more to lose and if you were less then HECK you’d be insanely lean.

GET BUSY!

YES! I’m down 50 or so pounds over the past couple of years.

[quote]Delta31 wrote:
Hey guys

I have always thought I was big and muscular however when taking photos of myself I realised that in bodybuilding i am just fat but slightly muscular.I started cutting 6 weeks ago and the fat is coming off I am down 22lbs so far.My body fat must have been 25% perhaps but I am hoping to get it close to 12% in the months to come

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar journey and how long did it take you to accomplish this?i am giving myself 20 weeks and then some maybe,being super strict too no bullshit.I am hoping to compete in bodybuilding after a long competitive history in powerlifting but I didn’t accomplish much in competition I just enjoyed it a lot.

My focus is now bodybuilding as I have been a fan for 12 years,I am 29 from England (north east) 5ft 11ins and 102kg at the moment

Thank you [/quote]

I think this happens to a lot of guys and its really nothing to be ashamed of–taking pictures is really the only way to realize this too- so you are definitely on the right track

20 weeks should be long enough to make some magical changes- Id say try and drop weight an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week- after another 20 lbs comes off the difference should be astounding.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
YES! I’m down 50 or so pounds over the past couple of years. [/quote]

You seem to have had the patience to do it properly.

[quote]Delta31 wrote:
Thank you [/quote]

If done properly you should be able to get in the neighborhood of of 3lbs per inch of height lean.

[quote]Delta31 wrote:
Hey guys

Where in the North East are you?

Thank you [/quote]

Where in the North East are you from? I am from Newcastle

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
YES! I’m down 50 or so pounds over the past couple of years. [/quote]

You seem to have had the patience to do it properly. [/quote]

It’s not patience so much as a lifestyle change for me. Patience is for something you consider temporary.

This is so common man.

I have had friends that for years have thought they were “big”. I, being their friend, would never directly point out that they were simply fat guys that lifted weights lol. However, I would try to drop hints about trying this new diet or upping the cardio for better conditioning lol!

But it seems like you have your head on straight now. You may not be as “big” as you thought you were, but you will have a more respectable physique.

Good luck!

I think bodybuilding in its truest sense is a game of two halves. There are some on this site who are content to just bulk away till they occupy a lot of space and think themselves well built but who infact dont gain a lot of respect in the bodybuilding world they think they walk tall in. Building mass is only half way there in my opinion.

A much harder endeavour than building mass is stripping off the fat to reveal the true level of muscle gain. There are too many on here who occupy a lot of space but dont show any shape to their muscles and try to talk down to those who take up less space but who have got more definition.

Try that. It helped many to get leaner.
I got leaner and it was not my goal, just a nice side effect. After 3 weeks the lean factor kicks in. My waist is 28 in.

Dude I am guilty.
At 5’8 and 250lbs with 19 inch arms I thought I was the man, ha little did I know my bf was around or over 30%.

I thought I would be shredded at 210…

here I am at 204 and I barely have a 4 pack and sub 18 inch arms.

I’m going to end up having a 9-10% look by the end of this and I could very well be under 190 and closer to 180.

Just be patient and take it slow nothing is wrong with 1 pound a week.
There will often be times where you feel like you are just getting smaller without looking better but getting towards the end around the 3/4ths of the way there mark it will start coming together.

have a solid plan, track every macro and make small adjustments accordingly

If you can afford it I think having a good coach will make this transition much easier for you although you could definitely do it without one.

stay strong my dude it’s a long road coming from that high of a bf.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Dude I am guilty.
At 5’8 and 250lbs with 19 inch arms I thought I was the man, ha little did I know my bf was around or over 30%.

I’m going to end up having a 9-10% look by the end of this and I could very well be under 190 and closer to 180.

There will often be times where you feel like you are just getting smaller without looking better but getting towards the end around the 3/4ths of the way there mark it will start coming together.

If you can afford it I think having a good coach will make this transition much easier for you although you could definitely do it without one.

[/quote]

lol. dito. Almost exactly my story.

The good news I’ve found is that when you go far enough to really start seeing cuts, leaning can become as addicting as getting bigger (as well as just feeling better/having more energy).

When I dropped from 240 to 220, I just looked like a smaller version of myself. It wasn’t until I started to get down to 200 that my shape and aesthetics really started to change.

Yeah, I bulked up from 125lbs to at one point being 225lbs at 20%+ bodyfat. I’ve cut down back to between 205-210 and been recomping the past two years. It’s tough because you think you’re a lot bigger than you actually are. I look bigger now 20lbs lighter because leanness does give the illusion of size.

Keep it up man.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Dude I am guilty.

[/quote]

Is that avatar pic current? You look pretty solid and your waist seems to be pretty slender. Is that what you were referring to as being 204 and sub 17" arms?

[quote]steven alex wrote:
Where in the North East are you from? I am from Newcastle[/quote]

Newcastle :slight_smile: wallsend to be exact

[quote]Delta31 wrote:

Newcastle :slight_smile: wallsend to be exact [/quote]

Ha West End Chapel House for me

Thank you all for the advice i am glad I am not alone here hahaha

It’s going to be a journey that’s for sure,the ab shape is already coming through,getting comments like
“You have shrank” which make a bodybuilder feel great lol but just letting it go and continuing,end of the day i need to cut and do lean bulks From now on"

[quote]Delta31 wrote:

Newcastle :slight_smile: wallsend to be exact [/quote]

Ha West End Chapel House for me[/quote]
Where do you
Train?